Back to "normal" but still having some pain with exercise -- 4 months out (2019) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > Hysteritaville General Discussions > Work it Out - Fitness in Action

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Back to "normal" but still having some pain with exercise -- 4 months out (2019) Back to "normal" but still having some pain with exercise -- 4 months out (2019)

Unread 11-07-2019, 06:37 AM
Question - Back to "normal" but still having some pain with exercise -- 4 months out (2019) Back to "normal" but still having some pain with exercise -- 4 months out (2019)

Hi! I am almost 4 months post-op. I have always been very active and exercise has been a huge part of my life. In the months leading up to my hysterectomy, I even stepped up my fitness so I could be in the best possible shape to heal from my surgery. I was very cautious, following all restrictions for exercise--I didn't do anything other than walk until I was released 8 weeks post-op for exercise without restrictions. I was able to get back into a routine fairly quickly, running (not far of fast, of course), HIIT, weight lifting... It was tough at first and my belly felt "different"--I would have some weird sensations and pain as I started something new, but it was never too bad. I listened to my body and rested when I thought I needed it.

But now I am nearly 4 months out and I still have some pain under my lower incisions that seems to be related to exercise. Has anyone else experienced this? It is not unbearable--but definitely present. Almost a pulling sensation with some pain. I'm not sure whether I am at the point where I should push through and it will get better with more activity, or if I should still be taking it easy.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2019, 03:04 PM
Re: Back to "normal" but still having some pain with exercise--4 months out

I vote for pulling back on the moves that are causing discomfort or pain. Even though you're 4 months, there is still possibly some healing going on inside. That's one of the harder things to wrap our brains around, that we can still experience healing symptoms for 6 months or longer. Our article How Long Will the Pain Last After Hysterectomy? is not really so much about the pain, but rather the view from 36,000 feet about this recovery. I didn't fully buy into it either, until I had a few more months in the rear view mirror.

I got dull aches and swelling through 8 weeks, and it would be worse when I did more than my body was ready for. Even after 8 weeks, I'd go to the mat with those symptoms whenever I'd intensely engage my abs, and they became my red flag. Sometimes it was activity specific, like power washing the front porch or shoving a 24-pack of soda over my head on a high shelf. One time it was an 18-hour day of working, driving, attending an outdoor concert and driving back home. I resumed low impact cardio around 7 weeks, started running again at 8+ weeks (intervals, a shuffle-type run), and got back up to 3 miles without walking by 12 weeks, albeit at a slower pace. I gradually increased activity and intensity, but pulled back whenever I got the telltale swelling and cramps.Last time at the mat with those symptoms was after kicking up the intensity of a core routine, and that happened at 5 months.

So, what you're describing here definitely sounds familiar. The problem with pushing through is that you could be increasing the risk of complications from adhesions down the road. Unlike athletic training which makes you stronger, doing more doesn't rehab all those inter incisions and cauterizations - it triggers inflammation instead. Believe me, I understand about wanting to get back to where you were, but the one thing I kept thinking about was that I didn't want to end up needing more surgery from something I could've prevented. That's why I would pull back. In the big picture of a lifespan, this is a relatively short time even if it seems like it's been dragging on forever.

Unread 11-14-2019, 03:30 PM
Re: Back to "normal" but still having some pain with exercise--4 months out

Thank you. That is helpful and makes sense. I never thought about adhesions! I will definitely continue to listen to my body (I know, I know...that should be a given by now--ha!). This is not the time to go backwards. Again, thanks so much! As usual, I feel better after checking in here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2019, 05:06 PM
Back to "normal" but still having some pain with exercise -- 4 months out (2019)

Thank you both for sharing that information!! I’ve been in the same boat and thought I would be better at 8 weeks.So this is all great info for me!
Unread 11-19-2019, 05:35 PM
Re: Back to "normal" but still having some pain with exercise -- 4 months out

but 4 months! how long does it take to heal? I was hoping to get back to the gym in 6 weeks! Guess I will take your experience and not expect too much.
Unread 11-19-2019, 06:15 PM
Back to "normal" but still having some pain with exercise -- 4 months out (2019)

I am definitely better! Don’t want to discourage anyone...I feel great. I am doing everything I was before my surgery and, for the most part, feel better than I did before my surgery. There are just some things that cause...I don’t even want to call it pain or discomfort—more of an “awareness” of my incisions and a reminder that I did have major surgery relatively recently. I know 4 months seems like a long time, but I had my uterus for decades...and it’s only been few months without it. Ha! Don’t be discouraged. But definitely remember to listen to your body!

Hugs!
Unread 11-19-2019, 06:17 PM

It could very well be adhesions. Nasty little buggers. If you haven't yet, research a physical therapist that specializes is pelvic floor care. They can help release those adhesions safely and help more from occurring.
Unread 11-19-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanLeigh View Post
It could very well be adhesions. Nasty little buggers. If you haven't yet, research a physical therapist that specializes is pelvic floor care. They can help release those adhesions safely and help more from occurring.
Thank you. They seem to be easing up. And I’m easing up on the exercise when I feel the discomfort. Hopefully things are okay! Will definitely keep in mind that physical therapy is an option if it continues to be an issue.
Unread 11-19-2019, 06:27 PM

justbeth, dont forget to laugh-it is good medicine. I told my dr i've had my uterus my whole life and have grown quite attached to it. ha ha
Unread 11-19-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passport View Post
justbeth, dont forget to laugh-it is good medicine. I told my dr i've had my uterus my whole life and have grown quite attached to it. ha ha
Haha! Yes! I’ve kind of had to re-learn how to laugh through this journey. And you’re right, it is good medicine!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register