Any other Aussies around? (2007) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Neighborhoods > HysterSisters Around the World > Australia/New Zealand

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any other Aussies around? (2007) Any other Aussies around? (2007)

Unread 02-27-2007, 02:44 PM
Talking - Any other Aussies around? (2007) Any other Aussies around? (2007)

Hi,
I am Debbie from Australia. Would love to hear if there are any other aussies on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Any other Aussies around? (2007)

Debbie, Hi there.

Yes, there are other aussie girls on here. Some pop into this forum, some don't. With me it is hit and miss when I pop in as I am over 5 years post op now.

How are you feeling now? I was around 5 weeks post when I started to feel normal again. Never regretted the op at all once in all this time.

Regards
Unread 03-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Hi Gail,
Thanks for replying. Nice to hear there are others out there who have been thru this and are coping better then ever afterwards. I am at 4 wks, have a good day then a couple of bad. Haven't been doing much, my mum and hubby have been looking after everything for me. I am so lucky there. Have had small infection on one end of incision which seems to be taking forever to heal - but is slowly!Can't wait for the day when I feel like my old self. Pre fibroids, heavy bleeding, aneamic, etc etc. All good things come to those who wait but, lol.
Thanks for talking,
Deb.
Northern NSW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2007, 06:59 PM

Hi..............I'm from Brisbane also. PM me if you ever want to chat. Kay

Unread 04-20-2007, 08:21 PM

Hi there I'm from Central West NSW and hope all is going well for you.

Take care.........Karen
Unread 05-08-2007, 10:02 AM

Hi all, I'm in Brissy, hope all is going well for others. I'm 3 weeks post op today. I heard about this site from a friend about a week and a half ago and was exploring a little more tonight and found this section. Yay to us Aussies.
Fiona
Unread 05-09-2007, 01:10 AM

Welcome Rhino Lover,

Lot's of Queenslanders on the board. I'm from central west NSW.

Take care...........Karen
Unread 05-10-2007, 12:25 AM

Debbie
I have been reading threads for a couple of weeks now waiting for a sister from down under to post. I am 5 weeks pre op. LAVH - hopefully. Would really like responses from other Aussie sisters about what to expect. Have been reading our sisters from US have bowel preps, shaves etc. Can you tell me the norm the Australia? Hoping to establish a support network of others out there.
Unread 05-10-2007, 01:20 AM

Hi Kezz,

My op was 3 weeks back and I had my hysto through keyhole. I'm 31 with two kids 7 & 8 1/2 yr old girls so they got mum home for 6 or so weeks. I had my hubby home with me for the first week and a half, then he had to go away so I had my mum come and stay with me, more so to look after the cooking and the cleaning in the evening. I found in the first week or so being home, just having someone that would be your slave for when you needed a drink or prep your snack etc, it was great, can highly recommend it if you can get it. Next week hubby is going to be away and so for the next two weeks it's going to be all back on me again. I'll cook but as for cleaning, I'll be limiting myself to cooking simple meals and clean with the help of the dishwasher. But that's all I'm doing.

Get yourself a whole bunch of movies, and I mean alot. I got myself into watching an old tv series Farscape, thank goodness for DVD/Video shops. Got to watch the WHOLE 4 series, thats 22 episodes each! Yeah I know I watched alot. Watched House season 1, Stargate Season 1. Chuck in a couple of movies and thats about my last 2 1/2 weeks.

The couch was my friend. I lived on it for the first 24 hours of coming home, its a sofa bed and so I slept there the first night. I had a body pillow that was fantastic to cuddle/support my body. I then loved one of those squishy pillows for my tummy to sleep with. Can highly highly recommend it for you, I'm still using it of a night time now, just so I can lie on my side. I'm a tummy sleeper, so its a comprimise.

My pains have been settling down as each day passes. The first week and a half would have to be the worse for me, but basically if I rest & sit on the couch and do NOTHING my tummy would have minimal pains. When the Dr's tell you to rest, really listen to it.

I did have to have a bowel prep, I got told Fleet from the chemist, it wasn't too bad, my Dr said to have a drink of apple juice with it and that'll help with the taste. I had mine in the afternoon, and would recommend to stay home whilst having it, its handier. I didn't have to shave, just check with the Dr about the but you might not have too. I had my surgery just after lunch on the Wed, Op only took about 1 1/2 hrs, back to my room bout 5ish. I stayed in hospital til Friday lunch time, I could've stayed in for another night but just wanted some quiet cos I ended up with a shared room there were no private rooms available, so needed quiet and my own space. So home I went, just get some tablets from the Dr before you go home.

Ok, I'm going to stop now, I think I've babbled on enough with my story for now. This site has got quite alot of helpful info, helps answers some of the questions I forgot to ask my Dr, but have rung my Dr, if I've needed too. Anyway, talk to you soon.

Fiona
Unread 05-10-2007, 01:44 AM

Hi Kezz, I am now 13 wks the other side. I can't believe how fast it is going now. The first 6 wks seemed to drag. I didn't have to have any bowel prep or shave. Mine was TAH though. I agree with Fiona....rest...rest and more rest. It really does help. I was lucky I had my Mum here for the first 6 wks and hubby and sons 18 & 22 here to help as well. (yes I was spoilt) I am sure this helped with my recovery though. If you have any other questions just give me a yell and I will see if I can help. The worst part for me was the waiting for the op. It is all much easier after that.
Debbie

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register