Scheduled LAVH Scheduled April 6---some questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled April 6---some questions Scheduled April 6---some questions

Unread 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM
Scheduled April 6---some questions

Hello! My surgery has been scheduled for Wed. April 6. I have a few questions for those who have gone through this. They say they are doing laparascopic/robotic with removal of the uterus and cervix through the vagina. They plan to leave my ovaries in unless they see anything of concern (have questioned my right side from the CT scan).

How long do you stay in the hospital for this type of surgery?
What should I pack for just the (planned) one night?
What did you need/wish you had at home that helped for recovery?
How did it change your sex life/sex drive?
Did you really need 6 weeks recovery from work (I am at mainly a desk job---school secretary)?

I'm sure I'll have more questions because I always think of them when I'm not near a computer and don't have anything to write on.

Thanks for any info you can share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2011, 12:36 PM
Re: Scheduled April 6---some questions

bellastealla, although I 'm sure people with answers to your questions will respond, everyone here is great about that, my suggestion is to start trolling this forum and the Member Tips forum. There are dozens of postings related to the things you want to know just waiting for you to search them out.

Good luck!
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks for your response! I've started to do that---just feeling crunched for time with a lot to prepare for in the coming week. Thank you for responding!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2011, 01:20 PM

my doctor keeps all of his patients with this surgery overnight one night though I understand it is actually possible to be sent home the same day if your surgery is in the morning. I would hope you get to stay over one night. Same day is too soon. I had laproscopic vaginal also and am 40 and am very happy with my recovery so far. I can't imagine having been discharged the same day. I'm sure I would have survived but overnight seemed quite appropriate.

I took, hair scrunchies, travel brush, travel size deodorant, fuzzy socks, one PJ (dress style so no pants and pull up access to belly), light robe, slippers, travel shampoo and conditioner, ipod, deck of cards, puzzle book and pen - I think thats it. I didn't use the cards or puzzle book and never put on my PJ as my (small) incisions were oozy. Oh cell phone. I did get a couple calls so that was turned on and on the table next to me. I actually did take a shower the next morning !

I can't think of anything I needed at home that I didn't already have. Pillows were my best friends. I had them all around me in bed.

I'm not cleared for sex and am only 1 week post op so can't help much there. Overall I would say I am amazed that I got abdominal surgery and one week later am able to stay home by myself and prepare food and walk to different rooms of house including stairs. However I am still concerned about overall energy level and ability to return to "sedentary" desk job on Monday (total of 2 weeks sick/vacation). I need to look for my old jeans that are one size higher than before surgery. I already tried regular jeans and they will be too tight. Concerns for work are seemingly simple things like staying awake for 8 hours, sitting up straight at computer for 8 hours (hoo haa sore !!), and wearing pants. People at work don't know I had hysterectomy so I'm wanting to appear the same as when I left.

Laproscopic surgery is a friggen miracle. You will be fine !! take care
HUGS
Echo Dog
Unread 03-30-2011, 02:37 PM

Hello Bellastella, i wanted to let you know i just had the lavh on mar. 9, 2011, suppose to have just been removing my uterus but when he went in i was full of endometriosis so he ended up taking both ovaries and my appendix also, and the healing process is very good, with me so far even though i have had some spotting and a icky odor due to the stitches healing i am very happy i had it done, i will be 46 in june, i spent 1 night in the hosp. and thought i would be able to drive home but omg the surgery part i could have but i was still kinda outta it from the anesthsia when i came home but no i didnt drive home, lol, when i got home i went in there and did laundry, but no lifting, got a shower and have been going ever since, just light housework things, also i have a 4 yr. old daughter to run behind, but all together i am glad i had it and its over with, just didnt do it soon enough, far as sex i have not did that yet, dont want to to soon cause it could hurt you more in the end, basically all you need to take to the hosp is just stuff you want, i took my laptop but didnt really even want to get online, and something comfy to wear home, i still cant wear my jeans but im getting there, i also have a friend getting the same surgery today as i post this, oh and not to mention i have never had any surgery and i was scared to death and i think that was the worst part of all, so you might want to tell them to give you something to calm you if youre scared, all together i think it is the best, cant wait to resume normal things again, so best wishes to you,take it easy while you can, any more questions dont mind posting
Unread 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM

Do they always put you under for this surgery?
Unread 03-30-2011, 04:12 PM
Scheduled April 6---some questions

I've seen a few on this site who had a spinal, but I think most ladies have general anesthesia. I had a daVinci robotic hyster w/both ovaries/tubes removed one week ago today. I worked a half-day today, but I don't think I will go back again till Monday. My recovery is going well, but I felt pretty zapped when I got home.

I packed really light for my overnight stay at the hospital. I'm glad I didn't bring my robe cause the IV was in till right before I was discharged. My phone and slippers were "must haves."

For recovery at home, I'm so glad others Systers mentioned body pillows. I bought 2 of those and a Cool Zone pillow. These have made sleeping a non-issue. Best wishes on your trip to the castle!!
Unread 03-30-2011, 04:14 PM

yes, I am going to have general anesthesia. staying one night at hospital. already have my overnight bag almost ready. bring a pillow you will need for your ride back home. comfy flat shoes, easy comfy clothes to return home, I am using the same that I will be wearing going in. Mine surgery will be a day before yours, on April 5th.

At home I took an empty basket and put a thermometer, 2 heating pads, one pain patch, a small pillow. Make sure you eat healthy afterwards, nutritious but easy on your bowels since they will be sluggish because of the anesthesia. And I also got Gas X (the miracle pill for the gases afterwards)
a got a cherry chap stick. and I also got a Pet pillow to use that night and use in the way home.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register