Post Hysterectomy Weight Bearing | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post Hysterectomy Weight Bearing Post Hysterectomy Weight Bearing

Unread 08-10-2016, 04:15 PM
Post Hysterectomy Weight Bearing

Hello!

I don't have my surgery scheduled yet but it's looking like I will be having a total hysterectomy. I'm just curious on different experiences with recovery time and being able to lift. I'm trying my best to prepare mentally for what is ahead. I have two children under the age of 3 who like to be picked up, as well as a career that requires me to wear an extra 15ish pounds of weight, mostly around my waist for my entire shift. I have no idea what my return to work at a full capacity looks like as far as a timeline.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2016, 06:39 AM

You will have restrictions on how much you can lift, so that your internal stitches can heal properly. I was told 10# for six weeks; with a total hysterectomy, the restrictions will likely be more stringent - perhaps our sisters with that experience can confirm this. I can't advise you on dealing with your children; perhaps sisters with this experience can offer you their suggestions. Remember that you will need time to heal properly, and that takes priority over anything else. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 08-11-2016, 08:16 AM
Re: Post Hysterectomy Weight Bearing

I had a TAH/BSO, with my uterus, cervix, ovaries and tubes being removed through a 7" vertical incision. After surgery I was told not to lift more than 10 lbs. This was for real. I tried picking up my 13-lb cat when I got home and my body screamed, "PUT THAT DOWN!"

By the time I had my post-op appt at four weeks, I was doing really well, so my lift limit was raised to 30 lbs. Then it was lifted entirely at six weeks, with instructions to start off cautiously and work up gradually. At eight weeks I spent a couple of hours slinging 30-40 lb boxes around to rearrange the archives area at work, which had gotten discombobulated in my absence. (I'd returned to work at four weeks, but without the boxes.)

Tell the kids that Mummy can cuddle with them but not pick them up for awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-11-2016, 06:28 PM

I was told to keep lifting to around 10 pounds the first 2 weeks, then it was raised to 30. At 6 weeks all weight restrictions were lifted
Unread 08-11-2016, 07:56 PM

Hi KikiC -

I had a TAH BSO. I was told no more than 10 lbs for 6 weeks, and 20 lbs for 8 weeks. I did not violate any of those levels or time frames, and did not have any issues. I then slowly moved into picking heavier items up. If you push too hard too fast, you can damage yourself.

Talk to your doctor about your job duties. He or she may be able to give you specific instructions for your work.

For your young ones: I have read of women doing more snuggling with young children, as they cannot pick them up. Here is some information on Recovering from Hysterectomy with Small Children. You will probably need help with your little ones during your recovery.

Unread 08-13-2016, 03:39 AM

Hey love! I agree with the other sisters. Follow the doctor's restriction. Although your question focused on lifting there's one huge step in order to lift- bending. Before lifting you have to bend, reach, hold and stand. Internal organs are not like a scar with Neosporin. My surgery was 7/21/16 and I'm just now feeling pain. I thought I could bend slightly to reach the remote that was on the other side of my foot NOT!
Do not rush the healing process. Your babies would appreciate you being home to cuddle than an extended stay back in the hospital. My only soon I'd

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register