No Bowel Prep!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No Bowel Prep!! No Bowel Prep!!

Unread 06-18-2004, 06:29 PM
No Bowel Prep!!

I can't believe it, went to pre-op with doctor and was told that no bowel prep was needed. Can you believe that?!!? And she said that she could use the exact same incision site and length as my c-section. Still a bit anxious - only ten days left.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 06:51 PM
great news for you

That is great news. And also to be able to use the same incision sounds good too.

We will be on the other side of this pretty soon. Everytime I think about waiting for menopause, I have a stabbing pain in my side to remind me why I am not waiting anymore!
Unread 06-18-2004, 07:08 PM
No Bowel Prep!!

Hello. I just read your post and noticed you found out about your bowel prep at your pre-opp. I got my package in the mail yesterday with all the info on my upcoming surgury. In it, it said I should do some kind of douche and a fleet enema the night before. My pre-opp appointment is on July 28th. My question is do you find out if you need bowl-prep at your pre-opp? I was under the impression the enema was all I had to do. I have from woman on this site who couldn't eat for two days and had to drink some sort of yukky drink for bowl prep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-18-2004, 07:09 PM
No Bowel Prep!!

Rebaruth,
Hi, I just had my pre-op doc apptmt yesterday and forgot to ask that question. I too have had two C-sections and had no idea this impacted the need or no need for bowel cleansing prior to my hyster. Could you explain this a little more for me? My hyster is in 3 days, Monday 11:45 am. I'm excited and anxious all at the same time. Forgive me if this is crude, but since last Saturday, the day after I decided to go ahead with the hyster I had already scheduled prior, my bowels shifted into overdrive. At least 3 times a day rather than the regular once daily. Anyway, it's Friday night and I'm not sure if that question can be answered by anyone at the "castle" now before I go in. Not that that matters, it doesn't change anything either way but does satisfy my curiosity. Thanks Lynn
Unread 06-18-2004, 07:14 PM
No Bowel Prep!!

Hey Lynn! I'm a Monday surgery too! I go in at 5:30 AM & Have surgery at 7:30 AM! EGADS! ~YAWN~ LOL Might not need anest...anesth...anesthes...ya know, that stuff that puts you to sleep......

anyway...I was told by my doctor no bowel prep necessary

however, on the phone today with a nurse at the hospital for the pre-admittance interview she told me she'd "advise" I do an enima just because the medication I'll recieve in the hospital will likely constipate me.......at least that's the impression she left me with - just would make it easier on me...but no, I don't HAVE to do it......I was thinking I'd just take some laxatives on Saturday and Sunday.,.....
Unread 06-18-2004, 07:41 PM
No Bowel Prep!!

I had a pre-op visit with my doctor this morning and also was told no bowel prep. I have been obsessing about this for the last few weeks - turns out all for nothing. I should have called and asked about this much sooner. Would have saved a lot of anxiety.

He said nothing to eat/drink for 12 hours. If I want to take an over the counter laxative I can but it's not necessary. He made me a happy woman this morning!

By the way, I had to request this appointment with my doctor. They don't automatically schedule this time to answer questions. We spent quite a while going over all of my concerns and I feel prepared and good about my decisions.

Searchgal
Unread 06-19-2004, 04:55 AM
No Bowel Prep!!

Hi;
Not everyone has to do a bowel prep. I had to do one because they did not know until they got inside if they would need to remove a section of my bowel.
Also, in regard to the c-section incision, I had 2 c-sections and my doctors told me they would use the same incision. Just so you know, it is actually a line very close to the other incision. So, I have 3 incisions but in the end when they heal they look like one. Does that make sense? Sorry if I confused you.
Unread 06-19-2004, 09:24 AM
No Bowel Prep!!

Lynn again, just wanted to respond to my questions answers given here. Thanks everyone. Here's to LadyDemi aka Natalie, it makes such a difference knowing I can connect to people on the same subject and especially on sharing the same surgery date. I really am unable to describe to my family why I'm so nervous about my castle date, but I think it's that I feel alone. I know I'll be fine, God has said I'm walking by faith not by sight here so I have the BIG Guys word on it all but the little girl inside still trembles. I also think it could be because I'm walking down the same road my Mom did only even earlier than she did, and my Mom is with the BIG Guy now (not from her hyster though.) And if we don't have that support, we need others like everyone I've met here. Thanks again.
Unread 06-19-2004, 10:18 AM
No Bowel Prep!!

My doctor also did not require a bowel prep. However, he strongly recommended it. The reason he said was that due to the anesthesia, your bowels basically shut down for a few days. If there is stool in the bowels, it will turn hard and it will be difficult to have a bowel movement -in other words constipation big time. He felt doing a bowel prep would make me more comfortable afterwards. I admit, I did not have horrendous gas pains afterwards. I was certainly rumbly for a few days, but nothing very painful. Maybe the bowel prep did help.
Unread 06-19-2004, 04:28 PM
No Bowel Prep!!

Me again,

Doctor said that she only has bowl prep if she anticipates leasions, or scar tissue that needs to be cleaned up or fibroids that are attached somewhere to the bowl. I'm so glad because I did not want to be stuck at home on Sunday while my kids were being brought to camp for two weeks. Now I can say a proper good bye and be ready for early Monday surgury. Better today feeling a little more ready as aunt flo hit with a furry.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register