PMDD an HOPELESS.......... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

PMDD an HOPELESS.......... PMDD an HOPELESS..........

Unread 08-06-2011, 09:57 AM
PMDD an HOPELESS..........

I am new to this site. I have been working on solutions to PMDD for 8 years. I have tried MANY things and spent thousands of dollars. I eat a clean diet, exercise, you name it. Literally tried every drug, supplement, seen at least 10 different practitioners, herbalist, mds etc. I am 40 years old happily married with one 8 year old girl. I have canceled surgery 2 times b/c of the fear of trading 1 problem for another. Is there ANYONE out there that is more than a year down the road post op for PMDD? How do you feel? I know If I go through with surgery I WILL take HRT. I am DESPERATE to find another women to connect with!

Christy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2011, 07:58 PM
Re: PMDD an HOPELESS..........

(((Christy)))

We do have ladies on the site who have had issues with PMDD. Some found that an oophorectomy (removal of the ovaries) was helpful. The problem is that there is no guarantee that an oophorectomy would solve your issues as you would be opening the door to surgical menopause and the need for HRT. It can be difficult for some women to find the right balance of HRT to help them feel their best.

Plus, there is some research that indicates PMDD may be the result of serotonin deficiency and/or the interaction of hormones with the neurotransmitters. The selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor class of antidepressants are effective for some women for PMDD so that is an avenue to explore as well before having an oophorectomy.

Here are a couple links that might be helpful on PMDD in general:

http://www.pmdd.factsforhealth.org/what/
http://www.medicinenet.com/premenstr...dd/article.htm

I would suggest looking for a doctor who specializes in hormone related issues and see what s/he has to say. A good psychologist or psychiatrist may also have some ideas as well as be able to refer you to the right gynecologist.

I am sorry that there is no simple answers I can give you. You might want to do a site search for PMDD and read some of the older threads on the site. Here is one to get you started: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...DD#post3429757

in there!
Unread 08-09-2011, 08:24 PM

I have PMDD too! I will be checking out those links. It took me 2 years to figure this all out, but I finally decided on LSH. I am hoping that because I won't be having "periods" anymore that the symptoms wont be as bad.

I have done lots of things to combat it:
Birth Control Pills (balance hormones)
Zoloft (really worked great for me)
Exercise
Acupuncture

But the non stop heavy clotting ( so bad 2 weeks ago, I bled through 2 overnight pads onto my exercise mat while teaching class in 15 minutes!

The no full intimacy with husband.
No swimming

and the stupid anemia have made this an easy decision. Good luck and know youa re not alone. I am sorry I can't tell you more that that for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-09-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerisnot View Post
I have PMDD too! I will be checking out those links. It took me 2 years to figure this all out, but I finally decided on LSH. I am hoping that because I won't be having "periods" anymore that the symptoms wont be as bad.
Umm, PMDD would not be affected by the removal of the uterus. The only part of the "period" that would stop with a hysterectomy is the actual bleeding. Your ovaries would continue to cycle so if your PMDD is related to your cycle it would continue even post hysterectomy.

Unread 08-09-2011, 08:38 PM

Christy,

You are not alone. I wish I could tell you something now, but I won't know yet.

Good luck! Good thoughts your way.
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:02 PM

My concern for you (((gingerisnot))) is that if you have a hysterectomy for PMDD you could be disappointed with the outcome because the uterus has no effect on the hormonal side of the picture. PMDD is extreme PMS and is either a result of the hormones produced by the ovaries or the result of serotonin deficiency and/or the interaction of hormones with the neurotransmitters. I have never ran across a member who had a reduction in PMDD by removing the uterus to eliminating bleeding issues so I would hate for you to have the LSH expecting the PMDD to be resolved and find it is not. PMDD symptoms normally hit prior to the bleeding part of the cycle and any surgical treatment for PMDD I have read about here on the site has included removal of the ovaries.

Over the years on the site, I have seen too many women go into a hysterectomy expecting one outcome only to be very disappointed. In fact, today I ran across a member who had posted a list of why she wanted a hysterectomy. A knowledgeable hostess had shared with her the possible risks but the member felt she would be fine. Five months later she posted she was dealing with issues she had never dealt with in her life--several of them were symptoms she had been warned about. It is heartbreaking to read those types of outcomes and part of why I spend time here on the site is to make sure ladies fully understand the implications of a hysterectomy since not all of us end up with happily ever after stories and a hysterectomy is not a cure for all that ails us.

My goal is never to make ladies feel scolded and I apologize for making you feel that way. I simply do not want women to have an unnecessary hysterectomy or require additional surgeries to try to resolve their issues. Been there, done that!

You have done the right thing by posting to support (((justice1234))) and I believe she will appreciate it very much.

I hope both of you can find the right solution for you.

Unread 08-09-2011, 09:12 PM

I really appreciate your response.

It took me a very long time to decide on LSH. The main reason is that I am seriously anemic, I teach exercise, and cannot get through my own classes without out feeling like passing out.

I have 4 Fibroid tumors. One is the size of a tennis ball and it is pressing on my spine. I am losing sleep because of the back pain and the wakign up every hour to change my 2 overnight pads.

The truth ( and you are correct to address it) is that PMDD is not why I am getting my LSH.

I just understand what it feels like to have PMDD, and wanted to be supportive.

I seriously appreciate your response, and as you probably guessed I am terrifiled about my upcoming surgery.
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:18 PM

(((((((gingerisnot)))))))

You are very welcome!

Unread 08-10-2011, 06:10 AM

I had terrible PMDD-hormones were so wacked that each month my breasts would get so tender to the point where I could barely wear a bra. That would last a good week to ten days. Then the fatigue!! It was awful. I felt like I lost at least two weeks out of the month feeling like hell then to only start my period. After two laps to treat endometriosis over the last four years, diet change, exercising (dropped 30 pounds), I opted to have a full hysterectomy (including ovary removal). Did it laparoscopic. I woke up with a patch. That was one week ago and I feel better than I have in years. I know there may be some balancing of hormones but nothing could compare (in my opinion) with what I was dealing with prior to surgery. Good luck!
Unread 08-10-2011, 07:35 AM

I had no idea all of these messages were out there! Thank you guys so much!!!! I REALLY appreciate you insights! I DO BELIEVE that the removal of the ovaries can cause as many if not more problems for someone. I am considering this out of desperation and pure loss of new ideas. I have not acted upon it b/c I have read such MIXED results for women. It literally would be a big gamble and a last resort. I just keep thinking if I hear hear enough good results perhaps I will take that giant leap! Thank you so much!!! Any more opinions or thoughts are very much appreciated!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register