Scheduled TAH Upcoming hysterectomy 9/15: Pre-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 9/15: Pre-op Upcoming hysterectomy 9/15: Pre-op

Unread 09-06-2017, 06:40 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 9/15: Pre-op

I've been having pain for several weeks but I pushed through it. Last Thursday I couldn't take it anymore. And decided to go to the hospital. I just kept thinking I had gas pains. After spending 7 hours in emergency room and going through a series of tests. I was diagnosed with multiple cysts on my left ovary and a very large fibroid. I wasn't too concerned, until I went to the gynecologist yesterday. I learned there how large a very large fibroid is. How the doctor explained it was that a newborn baby's head measures at 10cm my fibroid is 9cm. So to me that sounds very large. She's estimating that I've had this fibroid for at least 10 years. The million dollar question is why now am I feeling so much pain. She immediately said she wants to do a hysterectomy (which I was totally on board with) but she wanted to do a biopsy to rule out cancer. She is leaning away from it being cancerous because of my age and my moms medical history. But to be on the safe side she wants to make sure cancer isn't the cause of my pain. We are leaning towards maybe something shifted and is pressing on other organs. I feel like I let myself down by not taking better care of myself. But my weakness is I take care of everyone but myself. Anyways back to the biopsy. Well, she attempted to do the biopsy but couldn't get the speculum in far enough to do it. So she ordered an emergency MRI.... BUT my insurance company requires approval in order for me to get the emergency MRI. 24 hours after my Doctor ordered the emergency MRI, I'm still waiting on an approval from my insurance company. I'm exhausted, I'm tired of the pain, I'm ready for this to be all over. I'm currently schedule for a total abdominal hysterectomy Friday September 15th.

Everything seems to be going so fast. I feel like my head is spinning a mile a minute. It's a lot to take in, in such a short period of time. One of my concerns is normally I get really bad back pains during my period. I have been in constant pain for a few weeks, tomorrow I'm do for my period. I'm stressed that I'm going to be in double pain tomorrow. I am praying that the pain meds do me well.

I'm also concerned with making sure my family is ok. My fiancé is extremely worried about the MRI. He stressed to me that he can't wait for me to get the MRI and get the results. I hate to see him upset. My spirits are high and I need his to be up with mine. How did you comfort your spouse?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2017, 07:41 PM
Re: Pre-op

Hi Heidilynn74 - to HysterSisters!

I am sorry you are going through all of this, but glad you found this site. Sometimes they cannot biopsy the tissues - that can occur. Hopefully, your insurance company will approve the MRI soon.

I really understand how everything is moving so fast that it makes your head spin. Sometimes the tests and information comes at you at lightening speed, and it seems you cannot digest it all. This goes for family as well. Involving them as much as possible in your tests and exams can be helpful. That is what I did with my DH (dear husband). He went to all the tests with me, including the ultrasound and MRI, and then to the visits with the surgeons. Here is an article that may also help: Calming a Scared Husband before Hysterectomy.

You are not alone in any of this - we are here for you.

Unread 09-07-2017, 09:42 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 9/15: Pre-op

(((Heidilynn74))) First, take some deep breaths (it really does help!) and keep in mind that most fibroids are "just" fibroids, even ones that might appear quite suspect. That being said, have you had a CA-125 blood test (ovarian cancer tumor marker)? Now, it is not a diagnostic test, meaning it cannot be used to rule OVCA in or out, but it's often ordered and can be considered in conjunction with other factors when making a treatment plan. The MRI can provide further information and hopefully, you'll get that approval soon. Has your gyn suggested getting a gynecological oncologist consult? They are the experts in this area and are also very skilled surgeons which might be helpful given your particular situation (size of fibroids, etc.) I'd especially recommend a gyn/onc, if the MRI is at all suspicious. All that being said, the odds are still in your favor that this is a benign process, so please don't panic. But, if that doesn't turn out to be the case, we also have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out, if you'd like. There's lots of helpful information and experienced ladies to share the journey.

Sending hugs and all good thoughts your way. Whatever the outcome, you will be able to handle things, and we'll help however we can.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register