Am I Really Too Young? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Am I Really Too Young? Am I Really Too Young?

Unread 01-22-2004, 11:00 PM
Am I Really Too Young?

Hollie:

I can imagine how overwhelmed you feel; I had a similar scenario when I was about your age, and they kept insisting that it was pelvic inflammatory disease -- and refused to believe that I'd not had any sex in three years before. I'd had pain from the time my periods started, and if they'd offered me a hyst at your age -- when I was convinced I didn't want children -- I probably would have jumped at it.

First of all, in a weird way, you should be grateful that they don't want to do anything until your surgery is "paid off". This gives you some time to weigh whatever other options might be out there. Do you have any sort of health insurance? If not, are you eligible for some sort of state assistance to help with medical bills?

Since endometriosis is an estrogen-dominant type of problem, many women have found at least some relief (with mood, if nothing else) with the use of bio-identical progesterone (such as Prometrium or compounded). I got a bit of relief with birth control pills without the major menopausal symptoms, but it wasn't a good long-term solution for me.

We had a member who had her hyst at 19 for severe endo; her username is cg_bubbles and she wrote quite a bit about the issues with teen endo. She was running a website on the subject, although I don't know if that is still active.

Endometriosis is, in part, a disease of inflammation (most women have endometrial implants "elsewhere" -- but those of us for whom it causes trouble have higher levels of inflammatory substances in the pelvis that create the conditions for the endo to implant and create its own blood supply. I'm bringing this up because some dietary interventions may help, at least a bit. Cutting out sugar, caffeine, and eating high-fiber, less-processed foods; taking your vitamins and supplements; exercising when you feel up to it; all of these things may help ease the symptoms somewhat.

The bleeding is a concern; are you anemic? You may have adenomyosis, which is where the endo infiltrates the muscular uterine wall. This is hard to diagnose, but MRI may answer the question. The problem is that with adeno, the only "cure" currently available is a hysterectomy -- and adeno can impair significantly your ability to even get pregnant or to sustain a normal pregnancy.

You need some time -- to get second, third, or even fourth opinions and to do your research. As many of us would tell you, this is very final -- and surgical menopause at your age is not an easy life either (which is why I find your doctor's statement about "hope of a normal life" so odd -- what's "normal" about being in surgical menopause at 20??).

Research is just beginning in endo, really -- but if you can find a surgeon who is very experienced with endo to help you buy some time, perhaps there will be some answers that will help you and other young endo sufferers in the next ten years .

I know this doesn't answer any questions, really -- but please look up (((Candida's))) posts to get a sense of the outcome for someone in your age group with a similar history. I sure hope you can find some answers -- and some relief!

Audrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register