How long before the anemia goes away - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long before the anemia goes away How long before the anemia goes away

Unread 01-29-2005, 08:10 AM
How long before the anemia goes away

Mindfulness-A rectocele is your rectum(lowest part of colon) pushing against your vaginal wall. it made a large bulge in my vagina. i could feel lots of pressure, pulling in lower abdoman. I had to splint (use your fingers in your vagina to push down on the wall) so I could move my bowels. A enterocele is your small intestines hanging down and pushing into the upper vagina. It can also cause alot of constipation issues. with both of these I was quite miserable. My gyn sent me to a colon rectal surgeon to see if I had any other bowel problems going on. I had a defecogram which showed I had a large, non emptying rectocele. it also showed I had a enterocele.Once I became so miserable my gyn scheduled my surgery. I feel tons better now. I welcome the relief!!
Peggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 08:23 AM

Thank you, that was an explanation I could understand. I've read other posts that refered to those but never understood them. Thanks again.
Unread 01-29-2005, 09:51 AM

peggy,
You were on the same iron as I am on. They are suppose to be easy on the system. You had the same problems? I feel better knowing it's not just me. I am so constipated I am not eating just to not produce bowel! So much for the chromagen. It seems to have taken you months to finally get back to somewhat normal. Your story has given me hope and that I need to be patient. Thanks for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-29-2005, 10:55 AM

Peggy - thanks for explaining that. I'm glad you're home and are on your way to (another) recovery! I think your experience really points out why we should be so careful with the constipating side effects of the iron supplements.

When I was trying to build my iron up post-op, I knocked off the iron quite a few times until I could get 'caught up' in the other department. I wasn't told anything or warned at all about the side effects of the iron - just sort of figured things out intuitively and with what I read here on HS.

Julie, aren't you the brave one for asking for those shots! Glad it worked for you. I would have been in another county the instant I saw the needle! Yikes! No wonder your Doc never had the request before.

I am a little skeptical about the coffee theory. There are some things I do in extremes and coffee is one of them. 3 (liter) pots a day of VERY strong coffee during the whole time I was building my iron...OK, now I'm cutting down to 2 pots, but only since last week. And during that time, I went from 5.7 to 15.2. One thing I haven't seen to many of you (except jaaj) mention is Folic Acid - I was taking that 1xda, OTC but prescribed by my Doc, along with the iron. Anyone doing that?

Thinking I was still anemic, I was going to try Floradix after my current stash of ferro-sequels ran out. I guess I won't be needing it, but I'd heard great things about it here, mostly because it works very well and has no side effects.

Hang in there sisters, be patient and keep doing or looking for what works! I wish I could report what a 15.2 even feels like, but would you believe I'm still VERY fatigued. My friends say I am beginning to look like my old self again, and I have not had this much color in a looooong time!

hugs,
joano
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:28 AM

The coffee/ caffeine is probably only a problem if your iron deficiency is related to lack of absorbtion. If you absorb foods very well, then the caffeine probably won't be a problem with your iron.

As far as all those iron pills being easy to absorb, that's a crock. I have tried a ton of them. I am only able to take liquid or chewables, and then I have to take herbs for the constipation.
Unread 01-29-2005, 11:53 AM

I started with a low iron count, that was one of the reasons for the procedure. I take Slow FE, it doesn't mess up your tummy (concrete stools) I'm very tired, 2 weeks post op, but I get better each day
Unread 01-30-2005, 12:37 PM

Hi ladies... After my TAH my iron count was down to just below 7. When I left the hospital, it was up to 8.5. My friend who really loves to cook made me lentil soup with spinach, celery and carrots because she knew that I hated all the liver and other iron rich foods. It tastes great! I try to eat it at least three times a week and I know that it's improved my iron count alot. My doc gave me the iron pills too and asked that I drank them at least twice a week. He told me that he understood if that was I all can handle due to constipation. I'm just glad the lentil soup has helped so much. Now, I'm buying them ready made by Campbell's or Progresso and they taste just as good.
Unread 01-30-2005, 12:40 PM

Oh, forgot something else. My doc's nurse also told me that if I take the iron pill with a vitamin C, it will help with absorption and also minimize constipation.
Unread 01-30-2005, 01:57 PM

Mine went down to 6 because I lost 1300 cc's of blood during my surgery. By the time I left the hospital it was up to 8.8, and that was without a transfusion....I thankfully escaped that. She said since I am otherwise healthy she expects me to be back to normal at my 6 week checkup.
Unread 01-30-2005, 02:50 PM
improving iron levels

I had a count of 7.8 which went up to 12.2 in a month due to 3 ferrous sulphate tablets(200mg) a day, avoiding tea for an hour either side of taking a tablet (reducing iron absorbtion) and with orange juice (vitamin C- which increases the uptake) and not within 2 hrs of calcium supplements (also reduce iron absorbtion) and by eating foods rich in iron also.

I think if your health is at stake you do what you have to survive, that's my approach. My dearest wish is to be able to resume a normal life, which has proven impossible with myasthenia gravis. The anaemia due to fibriods is a complication which I hope will shortly be addressed (hyster op in a couple of weeks.)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register