Wanted: small cuddley dog - Help! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wanted:  small cuddley dog - Help! Wanted: small cuddley dog - Help!

Unread 02-28-2009, 07:51 PM
Wanted: small cuddley dog - Help!

I have a mini dachshund, Lacy is 4 years old and weighs 10 pounds. I had dogs that came & went as child & a cat from 5th grade until age 24 (old & had to put her to sleep. Assumed I was cat person only. Currently have 2 cats (inside / declawd). Lacy is supposed to be my daughters, but is everyones. She is crate trained & pottie trained. This is hard & I have found no website that tells you real truth about potty training. When she was a puppy I set the alarm every 2 hours & took her out to pottie (even at night). I didn't work at this time. Now we can tell when she has to go by her actions, we ask do you have to go pottie and she comes running. It is like you are working for her by taking her out. My friend uses a litter box because she works & couldn't potty train a puppy. I would never do this because I hate the litter box for the cats. If someone is dealing with recovery potty training would be hard to do. I am so in love with this dog. She has been by my side since surgery. Doxies are very stubborn and never get out of the "puppy" (chewing & getting into the trash, etc), stage but will be your best freind ever. If I could get rid of the cats (humanely) I would get another doxie. They are so near human & sneaky & smart. They bark bad at every little noise. The should not jump & they do, no steps due to back problems. Sometimes they will get paralyized & use wheel chairs. I don't know what I would do if I had to decide. You have to be careful they are very attachable. I have been home for 3 weeks since surgery & we have to force her to be with my husband & daughter. As a puppy she should have equal time with each family member because they get jealous. They hate to go to bath room outside when it is raining & cold. You have to be firm. We have to spell certain thing, walk, ride, lets go, etc. She is like a baby - has a bark for what she wants. Like a baby has a cry for hungry, etc. She will still p in the house but not # 2.

We paid 350.00 & I thought my husband had lost his mind. I demanded going to a pound & started gagging when we walked in the front of the dog area. It was loud & stunk so bad & I ran out. I told them I didn't care what they paid. I have seen many doxie rescue sites online & would consider that process if I got one. However I am scared of trama in animals from abuse & animals can be calm & then when you least expect it they could snap because something triggered a memory & would have to be real sure about this. I don't mean to sound snoody about this but feel my & my families safety should always come first.

Lacy is like another child we have not had a family vacation since we got her. She has been worth the sacrifice. We are stay at home people & Lacy is the dog for us. After the first year the potty training gets better. After we began giving treats for potty training it was like magic. Bribabry helps with doxies so much. She sleeps with my daughter or me & hubby every night. Because she is so spoiled & the only time away from home at night is with my daughter & her grandparents. She has never been in a kennal & only at the vet overnight for surgery & when she was sick. Of cours you don't have to go this extreme, but we are happy family who is home alot & love our Lacy.

She mostly sleeps all the time & chases the cats for exercise. When it is warm we take her for walks. She gets tired & wants to be carried (the whole baby thing) She is very loving and loves small children & strangers.

Do your research, research the breeder & if breeder will not let you go to there home don't buy they are probably a puppy mill.

Good luck with your search & no matter what do you can spoil them. If you will not be home alot find a good kennal or better yet freind to keep your dog if away.

feel free to ask more questions about dauchsunds. Many small dogs are too energetic & if this is ok go for it. I like the sleeping lap dog.

Lacy is on there in the christmas & kitchen section. This website is not selling anything just shows cute pictures.

Dapple dachshunds are pretty unique colors. If a breeders offers double dapple beware, 2 dapples should not be breed due to possible birth defects. Beware if this is offered

GOOD LUCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2009, 09:27 AM

Hello ladies,

I just wondered if a "fur baby" had been adopted and what you ended up with?
We ended up getting another little mini doxie this past summer and she is proving to be somewhat of a challenge. My DH and I sometimes want to choke her LOL but our DD loves both the girls to peices and so we just try to pay more attention. the house training wasnt DIFFICULT its just time consuming and she hasnt gotten the whole, BARK to pee/poop thing lol so I find my self doing what another sister said, I watch her behavior and can tell because she gets restless when she has to #2...#1 is a little harder to tell. LOVELIVELAUGH said they have to spell things, well fur baby #2 (Sadie Rose) has learned to spell FOOD and EAT lol if you spell it she will jump in your lap and lick your face crazy til you feed her!
they are both great dogs and I love them so much. I hope you were able to find a fur-baby to love and take home. let us know!
Unread 03-12-2009, 11:12 AM

I am so with you on this one!! I have wanted a dog for years - but - because I work 2 jobs - don't think it is fair to a furry friend. When I was growing up we had a poodle. Great that there is no hair/shedding to deal with!!! I have also looked at Bichons and mixtures of that breed. What a delight!! My friend who has a child has one - and she is so sweet - a real cuddler and love affection.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register