Upcoming hysterectomy 11/12: Will I have to do a bowel prep? And other questions ... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 11/12: Will I have to do a bowel prep? And other questions ... Upcoming hysterectomy 11/12: Will I have to do a bowel prep? And other questions ...

Unread 10-26-2020, 11:18 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/12: Will I have to do a bowel prep? And other questions ...

Hi ladies! I'm so grateful this place exists! I have looked around to find some answers but I am not as savvy with forums and threads. So I have some questions.

Will I have to do a bowel prep? I have never done one and did not take time off of work because I didnt know. My pre-OP appt is the 9th and surgery the 12th so i just took off the 12th(and the couple weeks after surgery.

When is the last time i should have sex before surgery?

Should the tummy pillow be soft or firm?

I am a smoker and dont plan on quitting right now, should i get some patches?

I'm keeping my ovaries but have to get my tubes tied. Does this hurt more?

Should my doctor have told me what kind of hysterectomy I'm having, because I have no clue.

I have a ton of belly fat and stretched out skin, how will that affect surgery?

Thank you so much for your help. Sorry so many questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2020, 01:09 AM
Re: First time posting

Hi,
I'll try and answer some of your questions. It's standard to do a bowel prep the day before your surgery, so I would expect that you will need to. And you'll probably want to take the day off for that, depending on your job. Lots of discomfort and bathroom trips involved. I was told by a nurse I could have sex up to the night before surgery if I wanted to. I just used a couple of body pillows so not sure about soft or firm tummy pillow. I'm also not sure if you can use nicotine patches in the hospital so you might ask at your preop appt. I'm confused as to why you'd need your tubes tied if you're having a hysterectomy? Not sure if I understand that question, maybe I read it wrong. Your Dr should've definitely told you what type of hysterectomy you're having: laparoscopic, open abdominal cut, vaginal, robotic?They should've also discussed if your keeping your cervix or not? Definitely clarify at your preop appt! As far as loose belly skin, it might slow things down a tad when it comes to surgery prep/initiation but shouldn't hinder anything. Again, what type of hysterectomy you're having could also factor into that. I hope some of this info is helpful. Good luck with your surgery!

-J
Unread 10-27-2020, 03:22 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/12: Will I have to do a bowel prep? And other questions ...

Welcome Bcheek1 - we're very glad you've joined!

A bowel prep is not standard - I didn't have one - but you must ask your own surgeon as doctors' preferences regarding this vary considerably. You'll find more information here.

As far as having your tubes "tied", I suspect they're being removed. It's pretty common these days for tubes to be removed as it's now widely believed that ovarian cancer begins in the fallopian tubes. You'll find more information in an older article here.

You'll get further input very soon regarding your other questions, I'm sure.

I'm sending best wishes and positive thoughts for your surgery and recovery!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2020, 05:00 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 11/12: Will I have to do a bowel prep? And other questions ...

With regards to the Fallopian tubes, I had mine removed to lower my cancer risk, as Pooodle mentioned. As for a belly pillow, I suggest choosing whatever firmness feels most comfortable to you; I'm a side sleeper, and I felt most comfortable using a firm pillow. As for using a nicotine patch while in the hospital, that can interact with the anaesthesia and pain medications, so I agree with the others in checking with your surgeon; he'll also need to know that you smoke, so he can adjust your treatment plan accordingly. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 10-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 11/12: Will I have to do a bowel prep? And other questions ...

Hello.

I was not told to do any type of bowel prep. Each Dr. has their own rules about bowel prep though. They should go over that with you at pre-op. Don't do any bowel prep on your own. If you're worried about having enough time off in case you need to do a bowel prep you could call and ask the nurse now.

I wasn't given any restrictions on the last time I could have sex before surgery. I had sex right up until surgery. Hey, you gotta do it because you know it's gonna be a long wait. LOL. If your Dr. didn't give you restrictions on that there probably isn't any.

The tummy pillow is probably a personal preference. Pick something that seems comforting and pretty to you

Ask your Dr. about the nicotine patches. Sometimes they don't want you using anything at all. Call and ask the nurse now so you can know whether to buy some.

I would want to know what kind of hysterectomy I was having. I'm surprised they didn't go over that already! You can ask at the pre-op appointment but that seems a little late to be finding out what the plan is. My Dr. told me what he was going to do the day he told me I needed a hysterectomy.

As far as the loose skin I would think that would depend on the amount. If it's just a regular amount seen in many women (Even overweight women) I wouldn't say it's an issue. Women of all sizes and shapes get hysterectomies. I'm sure they know how to work around it.
Unread 10-27-2020, 09:41 PM

Hi Bcheek1 -

You have gotten great advice on many of these items. As you can see, the instructions really varied. You do have to speak to your doctor regarding the majority of these and how they apply to you. Every doctor is different, every patient is different, and what applies to some does not apply to others. For example, sex before surgery may be restricted. Here is an article:
Sex before Hysterectomy?

Ask your doctor what type of surgery you are having - this will vary, depending on your condition and your doctor's preference.

Here is an article on Special Considerations for Overweight Hysterectomy Patients.

Here is some information on the different surgery types:
Hysterectomy Definitions and Types

You should also have gotten a list of medications that you need to stop taking. If you have not gotten such a list, call your doctor and ask.

Just know that you are not alone in this. We will be by your side throughout this process.

Unread 10-28-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jel1221 View Post
Hi,
I'll try and answer some of your questions. It's standard to do a bowel prep the day before your surgery, so I would expect that you will need to. And you'll probably want to take the day off for that, depending on your job. Lots of discomfort and bathroom trips involved. I was told by a nurse I could have sex up to the night before surgery if I wanted to. I just used a couple of body pillows so not sure about soft or firm tummy pillow. I'm also not sure if you can use nicotine patches in the hospital so you might ask at your preop appt. I'm confused as to why you'd need your tubes tied if you're having a hysterectomy? Not sure if I understand that question, maybe I read it wrong. Your Dr should've definitely told you what type of hysterectomy you're having: laparoscopic, open abdominal cut, vaginal, robotic?They should've also discussed if your keeping your cervix or not? Definitely clarify at your preop appt! As far as loose belly skin, it might slow things down a tad when it comes to surgery prep/initiation but shouldn't hinder anything. Again, what type of hysterectomy you're having could also factor into that. I hope some of this info is helpful. Good luck with your surgery!

-J
Thank you so much.
Unread 10-28-2020, 09:40 PM

if you haven't been told what kind of hysterectomy you're having, you need to find out asap. are you having your cervix removed? do you want it removed? is it healthy? you might be better off with more opinions...don't rush into this major surgery.
Unread 11-03-2020, 01:33 PM

From my perspective, no bowel prep needed...sex prior to surgery up to you leave the house...soft tummy pillow...I'm a nonsmoker so don't know but remember smoking increases blood clot risk...not sure why they would tie your tubes versus remove your tubes...you should have an idea about the type of hysterectomy you'll have...I went in with a hopeful laparoscopic and vaginal removal but understood due to the size of the fibroids it could've been an abdominal...I was fortunate, in my opinion, that my doctor had patience and laparoscopic it was as my recovery was quick and pain non existant...I have belly fat and from a laparoscopic standpoint it didn't matter...but remember everyone is different so one person's experience could be very different than your own...good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcheek1 View Post
Hi ladies! I'm so grateful this place exists! I have looked around to find some answers but I am not as savvy with forums and threads. So I have some questions.

Will I have to do a bowel prep? I have never done one and did not take time off of work because I didnt know. My pre-OP appt is the 9th and surgery the 12th so i just took off the 12th(and the couple weeks after surgery.

When is the last time i should have sex before surgery?

Should the tummy pillow be soft or firm?

I am a smoker and dont plan on quitting right now, should i get some patches?

I'm keeping my ovaries but have to get my tubes tied. Does this hurt more?

Should my doctor have told me what kind of hysterectomy I'm having, because I have no clue.

I have a ton of belly fat and stretched out skin, how will that affect surgery?

Thank you so much for your help. Sorry so many questions.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register