Upcoming hysterectomy 10/26: PreOp appointment | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 10/26: PreOp appointment Upcoming hysterectomy 10/26: PreOp appointment

Unread 10-20-2020, 08:33 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/26: PreOp appointment

I Have my Pre Op and Covid screening this Thursday morning, any advise on what I should ask, I have to quarantine right after for surgery Monday. Trying to stay calm, tomorrow will be my last day at work, so assigning job duties to other coworkers and getting my office cleaned and writing notes everywhere. Doing a big grocery online for pickup so the family will have everything while I recover. Going to clean and have everything set up in my room. My daughter who is 15 will be home mostly except one day a week for school, she will do online school the other the rest of week so I have someone there if I need something. I will pack my bag for hospital stay, should be just one night. I'm having everything out, I am already missing one Ovary to a cyst I had removed 10 years ago, it was the size of a grapefruit and they took that fallopian tube too. I have another complex cyst the size of my last ovary and fibroids on my uterine wall. my periods last for 10-12 days so I will be happy to not have that any more. I worry about hormone replacement. any over the counter non hormone treatments work for anyone? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2020, 01:30 PM
Re: PreOp appointment

Maybe have a pillow/blanket in the car for the trip home. It can pad* the seat belt or your head for a nap. I didn't stay overnight, but it still might be handy for you, I was very tired day after too.

I might have started taking stool softeners in advance if I had known how things would go. I only poop every for days or so and nothing happened the morning of op day: probably have me unnecessary pain as what was in there got shy and stayed an extra three days.

If setting house, it helps to have extra handholds to use to get you up and down from bed or the couch. I ended up with our wood chair just it of reach to be able to help haul myself up from the recliner forward, as opposed to only having to reach backwards to the fluffy couch arm and cushion.

A variety from plain water can help in case you get SO bored with needing fluids. Tea or juice or something. No bubbles! It helped me to have four bottles, rather than refilling one, so I could track to be sure I was drinking enough, (especially with slow bowels, that was important).

Sounds like you've already thought of a bunch of stuff I never did! You'll do great and once you're in post-op, there will be a thread dedicated to you and other ladies sharing your week, which is just amazing. I only joined post-op, but this place is wonderful.
Unread 10-20-2020, 01:46 PM

Thank you so much hope you are healing well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2020, 08:13 PM

Hi Owljustbeme76 -

Regarding stool softeners: Do not take any medications before or after your surgery without express approval from your doctor. Everyone is different and every doctor is different. They may be fine for one patient, and not another.

For your pre-op meeting, bring a note pad with questions so that you can write answers. Also, if allowed, bring a family member or friend, as a second set of ears is helpful. Here are articles on pre-op appointment that may provide information:
Making the Most of Your Pre-op Appointments for Hysterectomy
Questions for Your Pre-Op Hysterectomy Appointment

Talk to your doctor about HRT as well as other options s/he would recommend. I was rudely dumped into surgical menopause at age 46 when I had my TAH BSO. For me, it was MISERABLE. My GP put me on oral bio-identical estrogen and it gave me my life back. I was afraid of it too before my surgery, but I have done well on it.

Here are articles on surgical menopause/HRT:
5 Interesting Facts about Surgical Menopause
6 Tips to Help You Prepare for Surgical Menopause
7 Tips for Managing Surgical Menopause Without HRT
Do This - Not That: Managing Surgical Menopause
HRT, Heart Disease, and Surgical Menopause
Natural Menopause vs. Surgical Menopause

It sounds as if you are getting your household organized, and your DD will be there to help.

Unread 10-20-2020, 08:16 PM

The pre-op appointment is a great time to ask any last minute questions. Here's a few that come to my mind....

1. What should I use for hormone replacement? When will I start?
2. How soon can I go back to work?
3. What are my restrictions for lifting?
4. Can I take Gas X and a stool softener?

Most of that they will probably go over with you without you even asking. The pain meds can cause constipation so my Dr. told me to take 2 a day starting right after my surgery. I had no issue with constipation. Many women get gas so Gax X is a great thing to have on hand.

As far as hormones I never tried any of the supplements. I don't think the supplements work all that well after a hysterectomy. I've tried ALL of the other hormone replacement types--patches, gel, injections, pellets, Biest, vaginal estrogen, Evamist-- and I'm back on the oral bio-identical estrogen pills. It just works for me. It's inexpensive. It's easy to use. AND IT WORKS. Every person is different in that aspect. Some women do OK not using anything and then there's many that must use it. It's all a trial and error on what you want. There is absolutely nothing wrong with using estrogen <3 There are many scare tactics out there on the internet about estrogen. Much of the scare is from faulty outdated testing. There are many benefits from estrogen too. It protects heart, bones, skin, etc. etc. Without it I can't sleep, fatigue, anxiety, hair loss, etc. etc.

Take a long cell phone cord with you to the hospital! I forgot my charger at home and couldn't use my phone much. The long charger will let it reach to your bed in the hospital and at home. I also took a few bland snacks with me and a few sugar free vitamin waters and I was glad I did. After the Dr. cleared me to eat I could snack on my own crackers
Unread 10-21-2020, 04:16 AM
Upcoming hysterectomy 10/26: PreOp appointment

I have chronic GI issues, and having my favourite crackers and other bland snacks on hand really helped to protect my stomach while I was taking the pain medications. For constipation and gas, I suggest expanding your grocery order to include peppermint tea, frozen blueberries, whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran, magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds, and a fibre supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre; treating yourself to a good pair of walking shoes can also be really helpful. Helpful household items include a Squatty potty or low footstool, which can help by properly aligning your rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly; and a grabber for picking up small items off the floor. At your pre-op appointment, be sure to mention any medications or supplements you're currently taking, including vitamins and herbal supplements, because they may need to be stopped before your surgery; also be sure to ask what your restrictions will be, and for how long. As for HRT alternatives, I'm naturally post-menopausal, and my diet includes regular servings of plant estrogens from organic soy foods; you can also ask about taking any one of the large number of soy-based supplements on the market. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 10-21-2020, 09:12 AM

Thank you so much

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register