The world of disability pay, medical leaves and job-hunting post-op in New York | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Neighborhoods > HysterSisters in the United States of America > New York

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The world of disability pay, medical leaves and job-hunting post-op in New York The world of disability pay, medical leaves and job-hunting post-op in New York

Unread 01-28-2012, 04:50 PM
The world of disability pay, medical leaves and job-hunting post-op in New York

Hi, there! Hoping to get a thread going about careers and how they can be impacted during our recuperative period.

This isn't a health issue thing as much as a work-issue thing for people who have undergone or are planning to undergo our kind of major surgery.

When reading posts from people in other parts of the country/world, I realized that local practices and job markets probably affect our situations differently. (i.e., some folks are able to swing full pay during their work absence, others get zip and are terrified there won't be a job to go back to.)

When I went for my back-to-work clearance, a woman in the doctor's waiting room was a wreck because she is pretty much where I was a couple months ago - strong reasons for surgery, but convinced she'll lose her job if she takes off time to recover.

Anyone out there having similar fears?

In my case, I am unhappy enough with my job that I agreed with DH when he said "Hey, if they fire you for a medical absence, collect your unemployment, take time recovering, and look for the job you really want."

Well they didn't fire me and I'm back part-time, but it is awkward. The owner - who tends to have delayed reactions to personnel issues - is now suggesting that I train another girl on 100% of my job. (The other girl is responsible for some heavy-duty work that I've refused to do in the past, for health reasons. If she learns my job completely, it sets the stage for me getting downsized.)

I am working on my resume and hoping to get some interest - but of course that creates new anxiety - can I pull off a great interview this soon after surgery? Can I handle the stress of whatever the transition might entail? Do I need to mention the surgery to a prospective boss?

In addition to the physical recovery process, I am realizing that menopause is blossoming now - hot flashes, insomnia and mood swings are my new pals. Since I'm new to this whole hormonal shift, am I in one of those places where I "should not make major life decisions or operate heavy machinery"?

Perhaps I should I delay a job search till further along in my recovery... Any thoughts on any of this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-30-2012, 11:35 AM
Re: The world of disability pay, medical leaves and job-hunting post-op in New York

Phoenix, go ahead with your job search, it will take time. If the company has someone in training you are wise to be proactive and plan for an upward exit to a new and better job.

Do NOT put your life on hold for menopause! It can be a long process. Talk with your OB/GYN about the Menopause symptoms, they should not take control of your life.

I'm in an odd spot myself, working part-time in an active role with lots of lifting and physical activity. I took 6 weeks off because I refuse to jeopardize my recovery. The doctor first said 1-2 weeks but unofficially told me not to return to work for 6. My employer had no problem with me taking time off. Fortunately we don't rely on my income.

As for disability, I didn't find out I could apply until my last day of work. Once back on my feet a bit more there are some light duty per-diem opportunities closer to home through the school.

As far as job stability goes, an ongoing medical condition that takes you out of work might fall under the medical leave act that requires employers (with more than 4 employees) to grant up to 12 weeks as directed by physician. I don't know the specifics Some employers tho would rather keep trained, seasoned employees.

I am working on my resume and looking to return to the career I went to school for. The kids are grown and with this experience behind me, I don't anticipate any lengthy absences from work. Employers surely won't say anything outright but this can be a plus.
Unread 01-30-2012, 11:50 AM
Re: The world of disability pay, medical leaves and job-hunting post-op in New York

I would not mention a past surgery you have recovered from, since it sounds like you'd be recovered before you could start a new job. I don't believe they are allowed to ask you, but I'm not a legal person so that's just my understanding. It does sound like your employer has "plans" for you, so you are wise to make your own plans. I would try to get the menopause issues resolved soon of course but it might not be realistic to wait until then to move on, since it could take months. Good luck finding a nicer and better job, I hope it happens soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register