Breeds? - Page 18 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Re: Breeds?

Oh...I love my pups sooo much!

We have 2 Boxers...both females.

Roxy is our brindle, with some white flash on chest & white paws. She is 15 mo old. We got her when she was 5 weeks & only 2 pounds! She is now 39.8 pounds and is petite until she barks...Always will be my JUNK YARD DOG & protector of the house! She is a daddy's girl, but is very loyal to me.

Phoenix is our 6 month old (today!!) flashy fawn! She has always had huge paws, which have earned her the knickname "gentle giant", cuz @ 6 mo old, she is already 36 pounds!! She is my loyal subject and always waits at my feet or outside the door for me. Unlike her sister, she rarely barks, unless sissy has "her bone", Her fave word is "chicken"

I could write a book about my girls! Both are the most fun, super smart knuckle-heads ever!! We go for long walks and they keep up with us. They have manners & are so loyal to all of us. I look forward to seeing them after work everyday. both of them sleep with us & are the biggest baby snicklefritzes ever.

Boxers are the best =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-18-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiba View Post
What breed (s) of dog do you own?Why?
I have a year-old Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. I got her as a 10-week old puppy. She is an orange-and-white ball of energy and enthusiasm and I swear she spends every waking moment bound and determined to boss me around. I got her because a friend of mine knew her breeder (from the dog show circuit) and thought this type of dog would be perfect for me. They "concocted a plan" and as it turned out someone showed up at my door with her and that was it.
Unread 09-18-2009, 01:51 AM

Wow... I replied to this thread back in 2004, on page 1, but a lot has changed since then! Instead of one dog, we now have FOUR: one pit bull mix, one APBT, one American Hairless Terrier and one Cardigan Welsh Corgi.

Beau, our pit mix, is the oldest at seven years old. Ruby, the APBT, is just about to turn three. She was a rescue that we got from the SPCA. Dobby, the American Hairless Terrier, will be three in January, and was a rescue out of a hoarding situation. Taffy, the corgi, we pulled out of a high-kill shelter on her last day just a few months ago; she's probably close to two years old but we're not sure.

I loooove the pitties; there's nothing like them for loyal, cuddly, goofy personalities, but you have to be strong-willed or they'll take advantage of you. Once they know who's in charge, though, they melt.

I'd never even seen an American Hairless Terrier before Dobby. His real name is, of course, much longer (and ridiculous!). He weighs all of ten pounds, and is pink with brown spots and no hair, only whiskers and eyebrows and maybe a tiny bit of fuzz on his toes. Yep, a naked dog! The breed started as a mutation in rat terriers, and in fact to this day they are registered with the UKC as "Rat Terrier - hairless", although the breed association is trying to change that. Most people would think they're kind of ugly, but he's grown on me. He's got some psychological problems because of how he was raised, but he's very slowly coming around and is my little lap buddy.

And corgis... Cardigans, that is... well, I was raised with them. My parents have them and my brother has one. I was asked to pull Taffy out of the shelter because they knew I had corgi experience. They are cattle dogs, and they are little hooligans. They're very vocal, which I have to say is pretty irritating to me (pit bulls almost never bark!). And she's always underfoot.

As if that weren't enough, about 2 weeks ago I rescued an orphaned 2 week old pit bull puppy. I dropped him off with the DBF, who's been bottle feeding him and raising him with his female pit, who's trying to be his 'mommy'. It's really cute to see. But I'm sure glad it's him getting up every couple of hours to feed the baby and not me!

-Linda
Unread 09-18-2009, 02:06 AM

Hi Linda:

Those pitties sure grow on you, don't they? My Sara looks more shepherd from the front, but she's total pit from the rear. My friend in Nova Scotia says she's the only dog she's ever seen that you can actually see what breeds are in her make up.

I'm less than an hour north of you, and I have friends in the Boulder Creek area who are also pittie fanatics (betcha can't have just one, right?).

So, I have a question for all the folks here: Is anyone else on Dogster? We just passed our 5th anniversary there.

Bobbe
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:04 PM

I have 2 dogs, one Maltese (Izzy) and one Bichon Frise (Jingles). We primarily got them because they do not shed and are less likely to cause any allergies. They have such distinctly different personalities, but they are both huge assets to our family and are great with our kids as well.

Unread 05-11-2010, 08:14 PM

I have 1 Pekingese ( Mz Zoey LaRue ) who thinks she is the queen of my house ( but is so not LOL ) and 1 Staffordshire pit bull ( Delilah ) who is the sweetest dog ever..she never met another animal or a person she didn't love. I bought her from a family. She was the last of the liter and nobody wanted her because she was the runt and had an under bite, but that made me want her even more =]
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:15 PM

My 5-year old granddaughter got bit by her uncles pit bull at my ex-husband's house. Everyone has insisted for the last 3 years that this dog is "so friendly" - but I never believed them. The dog went after me the first time I tried to pick up my other granddaughter (2 years old, one if it's "owners"). The dog has bit another child previous to this, and attacked several other neighbor dogs unprovoked. She attached my 5 year old granddaughter when she was trying to help my 2 year old granddaughter put her shoes on. My granddaughter required 10 stitches, fortunately most under her hairline, but some right near her right eye. A fraction of an inch and she probably would have lost her eye!!! And what is being done, several relatives are fighting having the dog put down, and the owner (my son) is being torn apart. He knows he should have the dog put down, but his sisters (including the mother of the bitten child) don't want him to, as well as the grandfather (my ex-husband). I told my son I'd PAY for the dog to be put down. What does it take, another child to be bitten or WORSE!!!! I am living in fear every day every time the phone rings!
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:25 PM

I have had many pit bulls..and from experience I can tell you that they are the most loyal dogs..so with that said they only do what they are taught to do. I have never..not once had an aggressive pit bull..my Pekingese is WAY more aggressive than my pit bull. Blame the owner not the breed.
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:49 PM

I've heard that many times before. I don't blame the actual owner, the dog hasn't really lived with him for the past 2 years (since the dog was 1 year old) - my son (the actual owner) moved to an apartment where he couldn't have the dog, so the dog went to his father's house - and I'm all too familiar with how rough his father (my ex-husband) is with dogs, always teasing them and play-fighting with them. So it's no wonder this dog did what he's done so many times before - just this time it was an innocent child that was the victim. Unfortunately, as far as I'm concerned, that means that the dog has to be put down for the sins of the person who raised them - before much worse happens.
Unread 05-11-2010, 08:58 PM

I agree with you, that was probably where the pooch learned his bad behavior. Quite sad, I hope all ends well for you and your family.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register