My son has a cast for Server's disease (heel pain) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My son has a cast for Server's disease (heel pain) My son has a cast for Server's disease (heel pain)

Unread 04-20-2004, 04:38 PM
My son has a cast for Server's disease (heel pain)

We didn't get home till ten min to eight pm after my son got his cast and after needing to go to a surgical supply store for a walking shoe, cast cover for showering and bathing, and an anti-itch spray to spray into the cast for any itching, odor, or discomfort. The way it happened is that I noticed my son was limping when I went to get him from school and he didn't want to put pressure on his right heal. Anyway, I asked his teacher and if he had an injury and she said not that she was aware of. I took off his shoe and sock right there and looked at his foot. He had severe tenderness on the heel of his foot. I decided to take him to the pediatrician's office and was able to get him in right after leaving from the school. I was thinking at the back of my mind of a possible stress fracture but wasn't sure. The pediatrician suspected something called Sever's disease or fracture of his heel and said that he could get me in with an orthopedic dr. down the street for an immediate opening after he got my insurance card and called. My son could not bear any weight on his heel when he tried to show the dr. how he could walk as well as not being able to bear any weight when I picked him up at school previously. He said occasionally "it felt better" but that was after he was sitting down.
I took him and the two other kids over to the orthopedic dr. and he was very nice and examined his heel and wanted to do an x-ray. My hubby called after I got to the ortho's office because he usually hears from me by the time I'm home but I told him that our son had a possible broken heel or something else going on with it and I was sent to this ortho guy. Hubby was mad and wanted me to look at our son straight in the face and ask him how he did it. At that time I was trying to finish paper work to get in with the ortho guy but told him that I asked and he didn't know. Hubby said he would call back on the cell phone rather than use the radio part of the cell phone and talk with him himself to see if he could get more information. When he called, I told him what our normal pediatrician said about Sever's and that we got in with the ortho dr. and said that our son didn't know how he hurt the heel of his foot. Our son told me on the way to the original pediatrician that his heel was bothering him a few days ago and then changed his story saying that he remembered pain a few months ago. Anyway he got an x-ray and the dr. came back in and said "poor guy"! The ortho dr. diagnosed him with Sever's disease and something else was listed on the note that said Haglands osteochondroses. It's basically a problem with the growth and will get better with rest and the cast is to prevent the bone from breaking. The x-ray to me didn't look good as I could see something that looked like the heel of the foot separating from the ligaments or something like that. He said that our son will have to be in a cast for 3-4 weeks to prevent his bone from breaking and said that I was right to bring him in because if I had waited, the bone could have broke and that would have meant more time in a cast and possible crutches. I'm so glad I took him in as when I was little, my mom would say to me, give it a day or two to see if it gets better. If I had waited, his bone would have been broke by the time he went in and it would have been a bigger mess. I'm not sure what my hubby would have done, probably brought him home and told him to quit acting like a baby. I found out today when I went to get a dr's note for him to take over the counter pain killers at school that a lady at the desk had her son run up to her complaining of pain in his leg and she told him that he shouldn't have been out playing at all and she let him stay that way for four days till she finally took him into the dr. His leg was broken in two places so she felt so small and so bad after that. Some parents don't take their kids injuries seriously because some may think they are faking it but it's better to error on the side of caution and take our kids to the dr if they are complaining than leave them suffer and then feel bad about it later. I was so mad at my mom for not taking me in when I needed to go in to the dr. As far as Sever's, our son is not overweight and has not even reached his 10th birthday yet so he didn't exactly fit into the category of what Sever's is normally seen in but one website listed an age group starting at age 8.

He slept in the bed with me last night, as I don't want him climbing on his bunk for a couple nights and it was good that hubby was working that night so our son could share the bed with me. He used the elevator at school and my hubby said to me to make sure that he only uses the elevator for a couple of days and not for the entire 3-4 weeks, as he doesn't want me to baby him so much. The office staff told me today that the stairs are crowded with lots of kids running, pushing, and such and they felt it would be better and they felt safer if our son took the elevator. I haven't had a chance to tell hubby that yet. I can understand the diagnosis better after looking them up on the Internet. http://www.epodiatry.com/heel-pain-children.htm
"Heel pain, unlike the heel spurs, that occur in adults is very uncommon in children. Of those children who do get heel pain, by far the most common cause is a disturbance to the growing area at the back of the heel bone (calcaneus) where the strong achilles tendon attaches to it. This is known as Sever's disease or calcaneal apophysitis (inflammation of the growth plate). It is most common between the ages of 10 to 14 years of age. These are one of several different 'osteochondroses' that can occur in other parts of the body, such as at the knee (Osgood-Schlatters Disease)." It also goes on to say that "some children seem to be just more prone to it for an unknown reason - combine this with sport, especially if its on a hard surface and the risk of getting it increases. It can be almost epidemic at the start of some sports seasons, especially winter." "In some cases the lower limb may need to be put in a cast for 2-6 weeks to give it a good chance to heal." Our son's case was severe enough for a cast so I know I did the right thing by taking him in and I'm glad it was me that picked up the kids from school rather than my hubby. Our son is very lucky that he was limping and may have prevented his bone from breaking himself by limping. Also glad I didn't listen to him when he said he didn't want to go to the dr. I knew something wasn't right even though I couldn't see any discoloration, swelling, and just noticed he had pain on pressure. Our son said maybe it was being caused by rubbing his heel against his shoe and I didn't think so. He did mention that to the dr.

"This condition is self limiting - it will go away when the two parts of bony growth join together - this is natural. Unfortunately, Sever's disease can be very painful and limit sport activity of the child while waiting for it to go away, so treatment is often advised to help relieve it. In a few cases of Sever's disease, the treatment is not successful and these children will be restricted in their activity levels until the two growth areas join - usually around the age of 16 years. There are no known long term complications associated with Sever's disease."

http://www.orthoteers.co.uk/Nrujp~ij...steochondroses

SEVER'S DISEASE

pain at Achilles tendon insertion
usually 8-12 years old
density + fragmentation of calcaneal apophysis - normal variant
symptomatic treatment
Up till yesterday I never knew of Server's disease and was so glad that I took him into the dr. Mom's please listen and do something your kids if they are limping or not walking right. I'm glad I did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-20-2004, 05:57 PM

I knew it: When I read the title of your post, I just knew that it had to be the same thing my brother had. And sure enough it was osteochondroses.

My brother was diagnosed with it much in the same way as your son was: he complained of pain, but didn't know how he hurt himself. And, after a visit to the orthopedist, it turned out that he had this condition. He was 11 when he was diagnosed and was small for his age, both in height and in weight. However, he's always been very, very active.

My brother was in a cast for several weeks, but that was over 30 years ago, so things have changed since then Furthermore, I remember that one of the problems was that he simply wouldn't sit still and let the heel heal (how's that for a mouthful!!!). That poor cast was being held by elastics when he had it removed!!!

All this to say that my brother is now 46 and never had problems once the osteochondroses was mended.

If I remember well, at that time the doctor said that it was a congenital condition. However, he was my only sibling with the condition and none of our kids have had this problem.

Sending lots of s your way and wishing all of you better health.
Unread 05-01-2004, 09:32 PM

Dany,
Thanks so much for replying. Sorry it took me awhile to get back to you as I have been really busy with the kids and we are going through some problems. I'll send you a pm. Wow I'm so happy to hear about that this is common. I printed out a sheet of info on Sever's and gave it to his teacher and also made sure that the P.E. teacher knew he was not allowed to participate during P.E. He's been spending time with the two teachers that teach next to each other and getting some work done that they give him to while the other kids are in P.E. The kids signed his cast and I got the new waterproof cast cover. We have been using the CastBlast for his cast itching and discomfort and it makes a world of difference. I will include two links about the cast cover and Cast Blast in case anyone else is interested in what it is and there are usually pharmacies that are not in a chain that can order them. http://www.waterproof-cast-cover.com/ If you click on Applications at this link http://www.waterproof-cast-cover.com/applications.html and click on the individual pictures, there are stories about other people that have used this cast cover with succes. The one picture of the girlswimming with the dolphin is a nice pic to click on and after clicking it will show her in the sand, and sitting on a boogie board. My hubby was the one that put the cover on him and it did have some leakage so there is a possibility that he didn't pump it up enough to get all the air out. I did fortunately cover the cast with one of those elastic bandages that stick to itself even in the water. It was interesting to see where the leakage was due to where the bandage was wet so I blow dried the area and will be sure to next time, make sure that there is a better seal. Here is a size chart and how to measure for the cast cover. Please note that it says, "IMPORTANT: Your skin area circumference should be at least 1-1/2 inches LARGER than the XeroSox circumference opening in order to get a good, snug seal."

http://www.waterproof-cast-cover.com/sizes.html

As far as the Castblast here is a link if anyone is interested in using that product. I'm so glad that there is help for itching and discomfort for cast. http://www.brokenbeauties.com/fashio...castblast.html I managed to tell the guy I purchased it from that another pharmacy offered it for a price of $11 and change and he looked up on the computer what he paid for it and was able to give it to me for $11 and change. I originally paid $15 at another pharmacy and this one was charging $17 and change so it may be helpful to ask how much the pharmacist paid for it as they may be able to give you a discount. I paid $35 for the Xerosox which is ok with me because I knew there was shipping involved. I was so happy that I could get my son in the shower and wash his hair. I had been giving him sponge baths a few times before we got the Xerosox.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register