Breeds? - Page 10 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 03-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Breeds?

It is so neat to hear about everyone's babies. I hope you don't mind me chiming in. I have 4 dogs and a cat. The princess of the house is my nearly 2 year old maltese/shih tsu mix. Her name is Lily Mae. I love most breeds but have been privilaged to have muts most of my life. Rescue animals are usually where I meet my little friends.

Skippy, the oldest pup is a "Friends for Life" dog. He looks like a terrier but is half chih./dachsund (sp.) He is 13. He was found wandering the desert.

Sassy cat my black cat found on the side of the road as a kitten. She is 14.

Candy my pomperanian, she was a gift from a friend 10 years ago. My husband calls her our million dollar dog cause she has ruined our carpet which we've replaced, clothes, or whatever else she wishes. She is a barker and hall monitor. Although she has calmed down a little over the years. And we now have mostly tile in our house. Ha!

Rosie my chihuahua is actually my mom's dog. (Mom moved in a couple of years ago and brought her baby, but she is mean as the dickens - the dog that is!).

But then there is the new princess, Lily Mae who is almost 2. She woke me up this morning after jumping in the toilet. That was a surprise! Wet dog on my bed. She always has to share all her experiences with me. Good and bad. The lid will stay down from now on! We almost lost her a couple of weeks ago so I am thankful I can even tell this story. She almost died of anaphalectic shock (sp?) when getting her adult shots. Rushed her back to the vet and they revived her. Bought her for my daughter but she and I have really bonded.

Thanks for letting me share!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-30-2007, 06:04 PM
Breeds?

Wow, this thread is so long! It's great to read about everyones pets.

I have a black and white english springer spaniel called Blue. He's of the working strain and totally nuts! I fell in love with the breed after we got our first one, Clyde as a rescue, but he was sane compared to Blue .

To be fair, Blue has many issues still as he's another rescue and his behaviour suggests so strongly that he spent most of the 11 months of his life at his first home shut in a shed. I call him my work in progress . When we first had him, he hadn't a clue how to behave indoors (though was more or less house trained) and no idea how to interact with adults. With children he is absolutely fine and almost glues himself to their side given the chance. (We took him from a family of 4 children and the mother clearly had nothing but distain for him and couldn't wait for us to take him.) He has his beloved ball and doesn't greet anyone unless he has it in his mouth. We think this was because the only attention he got was when he'd got it.

Springers are not for the faint hearted and need to be busy doing things. They are so friendly, loving, loyal, giving, playful, enthusiastic learners .......... but are hopeless guard dogs and rarely bark if there's a knock on the door .
Unread 04-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Breeds?

I would like to introduce my 2 boys, they are brothers from a litter of 12, their mother rottweiler/labrador mix and their Dad a German Shepherd. Scout is long haired, tall and rangy and weighs 90lbs, with a head like a furry labrador and Waya is short haired, compact and muscular and weighs 93lbs and you can see the rottweiler in his face though not as pronounced as his Mom.

We adore our boys!! Scout is a whiner and complainer and loves to wind his brother up by stealing his chews, he is also a 'bouncer' who can take off and land in my husbands lap in one bound, he thinks he is a 90lbs chihauha!

Waya 'talks'. He is totally addicted to hot dogs and will literally verbally and physically bully us to get them. He is the dominant dog of the 2, hugely protective of us and the home. My husband swears that when he comes home from work Waya says 'herr...ooo' just like Scooby Doo! He knocks on the bedroom door to be let out in the mornings. I could go on and on about them both.. they are awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Breeds?

I have a Toy Fox Terrier named Lucy who weighs 3.5 pounds and is 6 years old. She is precious but "mighty." She thinks she is just as big as any other dog. She is so sweet and loves everybody. Is in your lap all the time and so personable.

In March we lost her "brother" Snort who was a Rat Terrier weighing 11.7 pounds and was 12 years old. He had diabetes. We bought a travel trailer and took our first trip in it....we didn't take Snort because he has always had an attitude with new people and would bite. While we were gone, he suddenly quit eating and with taking insulin twice a day....

The lady that has taken care of him since he was just a puppy came over to the house to feed him, exercise him and give him his insulin shots twice a day. She called me and said she was worried about him so we were on our way home when she called me from the vet's office that he had died. I still feel so guilty because he probably would have been OK if we had stayed home. Do you ever get over the death of these "best friends?" It's hard to forgive myself for not being here for him when he got so sick. Because he was not eating, his blood sugar was so low it didn't register. They were about to start a glucose IV to try and stablize him when he took a deep sigh and died on the exam table.

Now, I must say that I will never have another male in the house. Snort was "fixed" at 3 months old. He was 6 when we brought Lucy, our female home. Lucy was "fixed" at about 3 months old. From the moment we brought Lucy home, Snort started this "marking" in the house and continued until the day he died. Had we not had a female...or maybe if they had been raised from the beginning together, we might not have had this problem. Who knows....
Unread 04-15-2007, 04:16 PM
Breeds?

the word "snorfled" was supposed to say neu...ered and Lucy was sp...ed.

Ok, I get it.....it is the site. Guess you can't use certain words. So supplement the words "snorfled" on both dogs to "fixed."
Unread 04-15-2007, 07:02 PM
Breeds?

We just put down our Rottweiler earlier this month. He had lukemia and was almost 9. He did really well for 16 months until the last 5 days. This is a great breed. You have to be dedicated because of their size if you let them get away from you, you can be in trouble plenty. He was really good, we did a lot of training with him and he showed in agility which we, my husband and I, find a lot of fun.
We also have an Australian Shepard. A breed that needs a lot of activity. Another very smart breed. She will be 13 in May.
We have a Shetland Sheepdog who is tiny and was choosen with first giving consideration to his size for the agility ring.
Then there is Lane. He is a Lhasa Apso. A slow maturing dog of sedate nature. Although quite the little guard dog he is not as quick, mentally nor physicially, as the other dogs. He is a brave little guy.
He does agility too; just not very fast. HA HA Most of the time he runs the lock down and we have to leave the ring. But, it is a lot of fun and good exercise for me.
pawz
Unread 04-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Breeds?

As I was reading the above post Waya the rottie one comes shoving me with his nose and going.. arrrwwwuuuu.. or something like that. I am so sorry you lost your rottweiler. When I knew ours had rottweiler in them I did some research because they have such a terrible reputation and I discovered the reason why that might be. So many people treat them as yard guard dogs when really they are family dogs with extremely strong loyalty and need a lot of attention. After having Waya I would have a pure bred in a heart beat.. if it wasn't so expensive keeping two 2 yr olds in the first place!!
Unread 04-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Breeds?

Totally wonderful breed as long as the owner understands the power in the dog. I have had other rotts too. Very kid friendly and not animal aggressive, but it IS all in how they are raised. Ok, some is nature but a whole lot is nurture. When we moved to this house we had a mocking bird in the tree. Sam, the rottie, would whine to play with the neighbor dogs when they were out and he could see them over the block wall cause he could stand taller than the fence is. The mocking bird would whine and mock Sam. It was too funny. Then we had our pool party the first summer and someone decorated a present with a little yellow derby duck. Sam would rescue the duck every day!!!!! He would pull it out of the pool and set it next to him and just sit with it. He would lick it occasionally, never chewed on it and every time someone threw it back into the pool, he would rescue it once he noticed it was there. He just felt it was different from his pool toys that he swam and chased after.
Thanks for the kickstart of some great memories.
Unread 05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Breeds?

I am owned by a Boston Terrier and wouldn't have it any other way!
His "dad" named him Buckeye, he is from Ohio. I wanted to call him "Henry". But if you really want him to come just say "Who's the man?"...lol
I have long wanted a Boston but being familiar with dogs and training. I am a dog groomer and professional trainer.I had to wait for the right time. I love the temperment of Boston's. Their intelligence is unsuperpassed. And how can you not love that face? I orginally wanted a female because they are easier to train but one look at that big ole head of his and it was history..lol
Before Buckeye I was owned by a Chow Chow (red) for ten years before her health failed her. When I was in the service she traveled with me everywhere.
Buckeye is a "famous" man in his own right. He is the spokesdog for Dentalious Treats by Meaty Bone. He is also the sponsor dog for the local no kill shelter. It still cracks me up. When they opened the new shelter, he was there in his little bow tie..lol And there is a 6 foot billboard going up the driveway. I donated the photo to help raise the money.
But I could talk about him for hours! He is my one and only!
Unread 05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
Breeds?

I can't believe I didn't see this post earlier! I am a dog nut! If a cute guy and a dog are walking down the street I see the dog first! I love watching them in motion or working. They are amazing beings! I have 3 very smart, active and loving dogs. 2 of them are Belgian Sheepdogs, the other is a Belgian Tervuren. Basically they are considered one breed, Belgian Shepherd, everywhere except in the AKC. I show in the breed ring, obedience and agility. This breed is very versatile and have been used as sled dogs, police dogs, seeing eye and other therapy dogs, and of course as herders. My youngest is a female and the first female I've had. I've found that males do have their issues, but so do females. I enjoy experiencing each individual dog. They are all so unique! They aren't the perfect breed as they can be dog aggressive, shy with strangers and distructive when bored. They also have long glorious coats that need weekly attention if not more often. snorfleed or snorfleed dogs tend to need more attention in the grooming department. I could go on and on, but I won't. I love my KIDS!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register