Breeds? - Page 12 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 08-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Breeds?

Here's a subject I can talk about on and on and on..........I absolutely love dogs! They're my whole world!! We have 4. Two Yorkies and two Shih Tzu's. Two female and two male. I don't really have a preference for male or female. I love them all. It doesn't matter to me. The Yorkies are a breed I picked because I like their intelligence. The male yorkie I got from my dentist's office. I was there with an excruciating tooth ache and a girl who worked there had brought in a litter of puppies that particular day.....His name is Samson-8 months old. Girl yorkie-Daisy-8 years old. The Shih Tzu's are a different story. I got them from an unbelievable filthy situation when they were 5 weeks old. I'm pretty much the first human they ever had contact with. Both of them, are more attached to me in a different way, it's like they know I rescued them and they're going to be by my side to protect me. I'm never out of their site when I'm home. They all go on vacations, day trips, etc. We've set aside Sundays as a 'doggie day' and whatever we do, we take the dogs with us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2007, 10:41 AM
Breeds?

Hello Sisters! I have one beautiful Silky Terrier girl named Abby Monique (hence my screen name). The breed is usually "typical terrier", but mine is a little lap dog if there ever was one. I suppose my preference is female....not for any reason other than the fact that she looks so darn cute in her little dresses. :-)
Unread 08-16-2007, 12:54 AM
Breeds?

I wanted a fairly large size dog to take walks with on the bike trails that snake through my neighborhood, but my DH said he didn't want a big stinky dog living in our new house. I didn't want a dog that would have to be left outdoors. Then we discovered that Greyhounds don't have that "doggy odor" because they are mostly muscle vs. body fat. We also discovered that unless they were really big winners/money makers and could be used for breeding after they are retired from racing (at anywhere from 18 months to 5 years old) they usually end up being used for research, or are put down. Fortunately more and more race tracks are offering adoption programs and several states even have non-profit Greyhound rescue organizations that are fostering Greys until they can find permanent homes. Long story short.....my DH let me adopt one 5 years ago, and now we have two more! All of ours have been females (just because they are not as big as males and they squat vs. lifting a leg while out walking them.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2007, 10:00 PM
Breeds?

HalfaMinute, Greyhounds are amazing dogs! I live quite close to a Greyhound Racing Park which recently closed down (thank god) and some friends adopted some sweet babies from there. They are clean, quiet, lovable and even though they used to race....they are incredibly calm and relaxed. I admire you for adopting and advocating for them. Although I don't have a Greyhound, I am involved in rescue through the Silky Terrier Rescue and find great joy in finding loving forever homes for dogs.
Unread 08-16-2007, 10:08 PM
Breeds?

I could talk about dogs all day!

I have a 2 1/2 year old long-haired Chihuahua named Molly (nicknamed Molly Polly Collins, LOL - hence my screen name)

This is only the second dog I've ever owned. I had my Spencer for 11 1/2 years. I had to send him to God on October 26, 2005 because he had cancer and wasn't doing well. He was a cocker spaniel and the love of my life. I still have his pictures displayed and think about him every day! I miss him so much.

So, now it's me and my little Chi Chi, who thinks she's a Pitbull, LOL. She has so much personality. I love her to death!
Unread 08-17-2007, 08:33 PM
Breeds?

HalfaMinute - I'm glad to see another Greyhound lover! I adopted a male that was a retired stud from an AL Greyhound farm 6 years ago. I then started fostering Greyhounds for a Greyhound Rescue Group here in SC. Ended up adopting a female that we were fostering, as she was deemed unadoptable, due to medical reasons. Unfortunately, we had to put her down, only after having her for a year. It was heartbreaking. I don't foster any more, as the last three years have been hard for me medically.

However, I have a large sign in my living room that says, "Welcome to the Zoo," which is so right. We have a German Shorthaired Pointer (11 years old), a rescued English Pointer (one year old), three cats (a Siamese, a Calico, a partially domesticated feral cat), a box turtle, three cooters (water turtles), a fish aquarium, and a corn snake!!!
Unread 08-19-2007, 11:41 AM
Breeds?

HUGE dog lover here as well! I have a Golden Retriever (my personal favorite) and a Chocolate Lab. The Golden is female and almost 10 years old. The Lab is 10 months old, male and full of himself.

Our Golden has outlived two of her mates. We had another Golden who had a brain tumor and died after having several seizures at 6 years old. We also had a yellow Lab who had liver cancer and died at 5.

I guess I'm at the point I prefer females, both of our female dogs have lived longer and I have bonded with them faster.

I cannot imagine my life without a dog(s) in it!
Unread 08-21-2007, 02:43 PM
dogs ARE the best!

I'm so glad that there are discussions about pets! I have two toy poodles: Linus is a whopping 6lb boy of eternal love and Lucy is weighing in at about 3.5lbs now.

I had never had dog before, but I celebrated my 40th birthday by bringing home Linus. He was 9 months at the time - now he's three! The funny thing was - two years later (around my birthday) I started wishing that that Linus had someone to play with since I felt guilty every time I left him alone.

We found Lucy by sheer luck (for both her and us) - she's also three and we believe she has been severely abused. Now she gets to live the life she was bred to lead! She has stopped cowering when we pick her up and she is starting to eat a little slower - she was a little bag of bones when she got here.

I just had my surgery last week and they haven't left my side since I got home! I guess that's not too unusual for them, but it seems like it would bore them to tears! (it has certainly bored the other members of the household!)
Unread 08-22-2007, 08:52 AM
Breeds?

I have a wonderful 3 1/2 yr old little girl. Her name is Reggie and she is an Irish Wolfhound. She is my best friend. And a very gentle giant.
I also had a boston terrier named Winston. HE went to the rainbow bridge on Jan 17th of this year. He was diabetic and his kidneys failed him. We rescued him when he was 2 and had him for 7 wonderful years. Still miss him terribly, he will never be forgotton.
I make my own dog treats...Reggie won't touch a store bought one anymore. LOL
Unread 08-22-2007, 01:20 PM
homemade treats?

Hi - could you post your recipe for the home made treats? I've never done that and it sounds like fun.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register