Breeds? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Pet Passions

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 07-28-2004, 10:45 PM
Breeds?

Jubilee,
Ours are sable and white. The 'normal' male has some dark,almost black on his back...think of the black line running down a bay horse's back...

We put our dog hair outside for the birds to build nests with.. They love it and will even come onto the rug that is on our deck near the door and pick it out of the carpet if there is none out for them.

I have heard of using it as yarn. It would be neat to have part of our babies to wear. Goodness knows it is warm!

We had to break down and shave the 'normal sheltie' this summer. We got so far behind with his brushing (he HATES it and so it is easier to 'skip him this time') that shaving was the only alternative.

What kind of brush do you use? We've recently found a stripping comb to work relatively well on them.

Glad that the CAirns don't shed!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2004, 11:14 PM
Breeds?

Tami........ As a dog groomer I hate to hear of people 'clipping/shaving' a breed that is NOT supposed to be... and shelties are NOT !! (( YOu should just scissor out mats with thinning shears............. A shelties coat is "double" meaning they have an under coat (short hair) and a longer outer coat of coarser hair...........

Whoaaaaaaaaaa and yikes !!! A "stripping comb" on them ??? Yo -- egads......oh Tami.... this should only be used on terrrier breeds like your Cairns................. I use a shedding comb, and rake and a "ever-gentle" slicker brush on my shelties........... And YES, while it can take hours if not brushed on a regular basis, A Shelties coat should Never be clipped/shaved --- their dual coat serves a purpose --- in the Winter the short (or undercoat) keeps them warm (as it does me !! this is what my scarfs are made of !!) In the summer -- brushing is needed to brush out Some of the undercoat so that it doesn't mat against the skin, and the outer -- longer coat flows freely - helps the air flow thru all hair to help keep the dog cool.

The ONLy time I have ever shaved an area of my shelties coats was if they were having surgery.................
I am but one dog groomer.......... many, have other opinions as to how to groom a certain breed......... good luck !!
Unread 07-28-2004, 11:17 PM
Breeds?

We have two Border Collies, a male and a female.

I love this breed, but didn't know how much until we adopted our female a couple years ago. They are such incredibly loving, loyal, hard-working, fun family dogs. They would die for you, literally, although I certainly hope they never try

If it were up to me, I would own at least two more, but I'm lucky my husband was okay with a second dog in the house!

I love all animals, absolutely love dogs, and especially love any type of collie. I guess it stems from watching "Lassie" as a child?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2004, 12:09 AM
Breeds?

We have a 9yr. old Rottie and we LOVE her! One of the absolute best dogs we have ever, ever had! Her name is Angel and she is such a baby. She is my sidekick and companion. She thinks anyone who is here is to see only her and she leans and leans on you until you pet her. Then she lays her big head on your lap and talks to you. It's too bad these beautiful dogs get such a bad wrap. She only looks intimidating. Good for answering the door alone. It's actually our 3 legged cat, Hop-a-long that you have to watch out for. He charges the dog and chases all other animals off our property!

Wildflowers

Unread 07-29-2004, 09:53 AM
Breeds?

Isn't it funny what our dogs will do to get our attention. My Aussie will do her wiggle butt routine and if I ignore her, she plops down and whimpers until I say "Whatcha want?" Sometimes it is attention, sometimes she'll walk to her bowl, ball, or the back door to go out.

My Border Collie, well he is such a love-muffin. When he wants to go out, he just scratches at the back door. When he wants more food, he bangs his bowl around. When he want lovin' attention, he walks up and nudges my hand with his nose until I pet him!

I am "not allowed" to have any more dogs (HOA rules), but someday I would love a Welsh Corgi.......anyone familiar with them?
Unread 07-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Breeds?

I would have more doggies too if I had more room and money!

Unread 07-29-2004, 10:25 AM
Breeds?

Rochelle,

Pugs are very good natured but not THAT laid back. Mine would either run from or try to bite a child that was hitting her (her bites wouldn't do much harm). We were keeping my daughter's wheaton terrier and my pug tried to start a fight with him because she thought the terrier was getting her portion of the food. She can be fiesty when the circumstance calls for it but that is pretty rare.
Unread 07-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Breeds?

I'm sure this has been said before but - I love my german shepherd! Not an "easy dog", but to me she is worth the extra training and vigilance required. She reads my body language and intentions so well that I hardly need to say a word.

We also have 5 cats that she sees as her flock. I get really upset when I see shepherds, collies and border collie type dogs left out in the yard all the time. The herding breeds are bred to be working companions and they only acheive their potential when they have jobs to do and are allowed to be with you as much as possible.
Unread 07-29-2004, 03:39 PM
Breeds?

(((AussiePupOwner))) I grew up with Cardigan Welsh Corgis; my parents and brother still have them. They are fantastic dogs, especially with children! Very intelligent, playful but generally not destructive or over-excitable...... low maintenance family pets. (Cardigans are the ones with the big bushy tails; Pembrokes are without tails).

Corgis are super herding dogs, and I remember ours used to nip at our heels when my brother and I were kids, trying to make us go where they wanted us to. (They don't bite, it's just a 'signal' they use.)

s,
-Linda
Unread 08-10-2004, 09:59 AM
Thumbs up - Breeds? Rescue, rescue, rescue for dogs & cats

If you aren't already convinced that getting your pet from a shelter or rescue group, let me offer you a list of reasons to do so:

1. These fur balls have a sense that they were saved and have a
unique loyalty as a result.
2. Everytime you buy a pet from a breeder or pet store, you encourage the them to breed more. Check out the shelters and see how many pets are there that someone has made money from - only to be put to death. There are too many unwanted pets out there.
-think about the puppy mills and if you don't know about them,
surf the net and you won't like what you read.
3. People adopt pets and get rid of them for the strangest reasons or else they don't keep them from wandering off and getting picked up by animal control. There is nothing wrong with the pets at the shelter or rescue agency.
-One of my favorite reasons for dumping a pet is, "We're
moving and our new landlord won't allow pets". WELL, DON'T
MOVE OR FIND A PLACE WHERE PETS ARE ALLOWED.
-Pets will wander if not confined for their safety. Many of the
animals at the shelters were just picked up. Their humans were
just to lazy to check the shelters to find them.
4. There is no personality difference between a pet from a
breeder and one from the shelter. Pets from both places can be quirky.
5. Reasons for mutt adoption, although purebreeds are available at your shelter or rescue agencies:
-Mutts are the ALL AMERICAN BREED. As Americans, we are
proud to be mixed. It is wonderful to stand in line at the bank
and see people with roots all over the planet. What could be
more American than a pet with roots all over the planet.
-Mutts have fewer heath problems than purebreed pets. If you
don't think so, call a pet health insurance company and see
the cost break you get if you pet is a mixed breed.
-Your mutt is unique. It doesn't look like anyone's pet. It is a
designer breed. It says something wonderful about its
human's acceptance of everyone's special traits.

Until there are more laws to govern the breeders out there who make money off of these poor creatures, no one should buy a pet.
Also, please, please, please have your pets snorfleed.

Punky

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register