stupid things people say... - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
stupid things people say...

this is not what someone said, it is really what they are doing. i just found out that my co-worker is trying to impress my boss while i am out recovering so she can get my job. WOW!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 01:00 PM

People have said so many stupid things! I was going over my discharge instuctions before I left the castle and on the second diagnosis line it said PREGNANT-YES
I was confused so I called the nurse in and asked if I had a second uterus and was there something I should know. She told me that since I was pregnant when I came in it just stays in the chart, I was in the L&D ward. I said I wasnt pregnant when I came in and she looked at me like I was stupid and she said "Well what are you doing here then?" Yeah-she had taken care of me all night. No wonder she was so rude when I was crying for pain meds!
Unread 03-21-2007, 01:25 PM

JOJO - Yours takes the cake. I am so sorry that happened to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2007, 04:45 PM

Since this thread reeeeally isn't about hysterectomy support for each other but "stupid things people say"...and alot of chatter, I thought it best in the chatter forum.

I'm sorry ya'll had people say such mean things to you. I never experienced anything but kindness from those around me during my recovery. Perhaps we should think of ways to respond kindly when someone says something that isn't appropriate?
Unread 03-30-2007, 02:02 PM

I had a coworker say to me, "the hardest part will be when you realize you're not a woman anymore"! Um-huh... I didn't have a sex-change. Some people can be so ignorant.
Unread 03-30-2007, 02:17 PM

I too haven't had anyone say anything too DUMB, but last week I went in to have my ovaries removed. The hospital gift shop delevered flowers to my room congratulating me on my new Baby Girl decorated with ribbons, a baby bottle, the whole shabang...my friends who had ordered the flowers arrived to visit shortly afterwards and needless to say was none too pleased with the gift shop. They quickly replaced the arrangment and also sent follow up flowers to the house this week as an apology.
Unread 03-31-2007, 04:19 AM

Tinkies
Wow - I'm glad that the florist "got' their mistake. I work in a business where such lack of attention to detail could get one canned! - as for Kathy's suggestion - I agree that having something to say in response is a good idea - but I think sometimes the look on my face said a lot. MsCandi - what did you say to your co- worker. I told a few folk, not to worry after 8 years the battle was over and I was doing better.
On another note, the lack of knoledge is widespread - I read an article where a reporter quoted the VA as listing a hysterectomy as a "condition"
??? - oh well - hope folks have a good weekend
Reb
Unread 03-31-2007, 04:30 PM

my stepdaughter said "I hope your stomach asma gets better"
Unread 03-31-2007, 07:58 PM

OK, some of these had me laughing really hard. "Hope you have better luck with your kids"--oh my gosh, that's ridiculous!!

The week before my surgery, I started telling people at work. A couple of reactions to the news:

Coworker Captain Obvious, rather loudly in the office: "*big gasp* WOW, YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO HAVE BABIES!!"

My Secretary, who has a hard time with how crowded our office space has become: "oh, wow, hmmmm, ummm, can we use your office for interviews while you're gone?"

Everyone had their own way of processing the info.....I just tried to be polite when I got those sorts of replies, or the "wish I could have a hysterectomy, too" type of comments.
Unread 04-02-2007, 04:42 PM

i had a nurse ask.oh so your having a hystorectomy ,is this your first time.? i was like ummmm ok how many uterus do you have.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register