stupid things people say... - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

stupid things people say... stupid things people say...

Unread 04-02-2007, 08:12 PM
stupid things people say...

As a joke my future SIL sent me a Congratulations on Your First Hysterectomy card! I know just what you mean.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2007, 09:05 PM

Babcocks - I love your dancing pink uterus, complete with angry fibroids....LOL! I'm a high school teacher and now that I have returned to work after the whole 4 weeks out, some of the kids wanted to know what was wrong w/ me. I said something about my plastic surgeon, then I touched my face and said, "You guys don't notice anything?" They all just looked at me, until one of the boys said, "Yo Miss, you still look the same!" LOL!!!!!
Unread 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM

High school kids are great aren't they? I have alot of young adult ladies who were pregnant and delivering about the time I was having my surgery. Now the joke is "I was out delivering my baby, Babs was delivering her uterus." They crack me up. The worst part is they thing they're sooo funny.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Stupid things people say?
"You shouldn't have had that surgery 'cause now you're gonna blow up and get really fat."
Unread 04-13-2007, 07:43 AM

FF1962- I just noticed your post/Q. Actually I was stunned when my co-worker said, "the hardest part will be when you realize you're not a woman anymore". I didn't say much, other than, 'that would have never occurred to me' and then went to my boss (I figured she told this woman what was going on with me, I didn't). Sure enough! Because I feel that I have been robbed of respect and privacy, I am looking for another job while I am off. My boss wasn't much nicer talking about me. She is young, neither realize that perhaps one day they may go through this and realize how wrong and ignorant they were. Oh well...
Unread 04-13-2007, 08:00 AM

mscandigrl~

be careful searching for a new job while you are off. I think it is legal for them to deny you benefits if you don't return to work at that workplace, or if you don't work for a predetermined period of time after you return.

I had the same thing happen, however it was the school principal who broadcast my surgery to the whole school/parish. I didn't even tell her, she called a close friend of mine who happens to be her sil and asked. I live in an excruciatingly small community and had tried very hard to keep it private. I told only 2 people in my area. So now when ever I am at the church or school I get all these pitying looks. This particular person is very kind hearted but has a real confidentiality issue. She talks about many things that are private as it pertains to the students also. I sang a mass for her 5 weeks post. That's when the organist said "My you are getting around well" What??? My thought was "they took my uterus, not my legs!!!"

FF
Unread 04-13-2007, 09:15 AM

I think sometimes people's intentions are meant well its how we interpret them and sometimes they just don't come out the way they are meant to. However there those who are not so nice.
Unread 04-13-2007, 09:18 AM

Are they pitying looks? Why should they be? Maybe they are trying to find a way to express sympathy but are not doing a good job. Their intentions may be good. I didn't tell many people about my surgery, but I don't care who knows about it, it's certainly nothing shameful. To me, it's just the same as having an appendectomy or any other surgical procedure.
Unread 04-13-2007, 10:50 AM

Hello sisters. Sorry I was gone for a week. On top of the wonderful surgery I had a month ago tomm.... something aweful happened last Friday at 930pm....
I was so bored and sick of being in the house... My sister invited me over to her house. Yipppee..I can drive..I can go someplace. I saw her newly decorated kitchen/living room. Jealous I cant do squat with mine right now, anyhow--glad she is enjoying her new house so to speak. So we decided to go across the way to visit some friends. Walking distance actually. STayed till about 915 or so.....
On the way back to her house, I was struck by a car. Crazy lady was driving about 30mph and I had NO time to get out of the way. Course with this nice incision, I cant move fast anyhow. The ambulance came and took me to the ER. They checked my surgery and took about 1000 Xrays. But boy did I have to pee! Thats one thing about this surgery...you always have to pee!!!
But I am OK. I have a sprained wrist and some bumps and bruises.
ANd the lady wasnt even apologetic. Said I had NO business being in the road. Can you believe?
So on top of the night sweats, insomnia, swelly belly.... I cant move my **** hand! Course meds help which is why i can type today.

Well, be well angels. Have a good weekend!
hugs to all
Unread 04-13-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFae
Are they pitying looks? Why should they be? Maybe they are trying to find a way to express sympathy but are not doing a good job. Their intentions may be good. I didn't tell many people about my surgery, but I don't care who knows about it, it's certainly nothing shameful. To me, it's just the same as having an appendectomy or any other surgical procedure.

Hi~ Are they pitying looks? I interpret them as such. However, since I didn't give them any information and have no idea what they think they know about my medical hystory..... I guess they could mean anything. I have been wrong before.....

I agree they probably just have no idea how to express their feelings. And, yes, some are probably concern and sympathy. I am heartened that folks seem concerned, but the sympathy is misplaced. I just want to go on as before. I want to be treated the same. I feel better, I look better, I am better, I am glad I chose surgery, I am glad I got the result I did. Don't step out of the way and get quiet when I enter a room. Don't whisper "surgery" or Hysterectomy" as I leave. Maybe I just live in an especially catty and gossipy community. Or it could be that I am hyper-sensitive. I just wish my privacy had been respected.

You know, I am not ashamed of the fact that I had surgery either. Maybe "pitying" was a too emotionally charged word to use. I really did not mean to imply that women who have hysterectomies need or require pity. I just felt that for ME privacy was important. I did not want the whole community to know my private medical business. Weather it be a hysterectomy or appendectomy, my medical profile does not need to be common knowledge. Or at the very least, I should be able to choose who knows what about my medical issues, not the local school principal who likes to gossip.

Some women are much more open about things and that is great for them. Honest~to~pete I really do appreciate the sisters I know who are open about their surgeries. I asked many questions. And I probably will be much more open about mine in years to come. It should have been my choice, however.

~ahem~ stepping off the soap box now......... sorry to have gotten the thread so off topic.....

All My Best
FF

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register