hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines

Unread 06-04-2012, 08:39 PM
hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3milla View Post
Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone here ever suffered from hormone related migraines pre-hysterectomy and if they improved afterwards? I have recently been offered hysterectomy as a treatment option by my dr for long painful periods (usually 20 days) painful ovulation and cystic ovaries. I've always had hormone problems and have been told my progesterone is chronicaly too low. I had to take progesterone and clomid several months to concieve my daughter because I didn't ovulate on my on for 8 months following the birth of my stillborn son. I am only 27 so I haven't decided whether or not I want this surgery. I have been suffering debilitating migraines for about four years which seem related to my menstrual cycle & have seen four diff drs trying to find a cause/prevention/cure to no avail. My dr couldn't answer on whether or not a hysterectomy would solve my migraine problem or not.
Hi . . . I suffered with crippling migraines for 20 months before a finally met a gynecologist who took my symptoms seriously and agreed to operate with a hysterectomy. . . She discovered stage 4 endometriosis. The migraines were definitely directly related to endometriosis. Every month preceding my surgery for 20 months I vomited and had migraines that kept me in bed for 2-3 days. Sumatran and nausea meds helped a little .. Now the good news! All my pain, headachesand nausea are completely gone. I am angry my previous doctor thought my pain was not important enough to operate on me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2012, 11:36 PM
Re: hysterectomy, hormones, & migraines

Hi! Sorry you are dealing with migraines. . I started having my migraines a year before my first cycle. I was 14. I dealt with them for 20 years. I noticed that when I was pregnant or nursing my kids I didn't have them. I have five children so, there were many, many months in that time that I was pain free. After my last child, I had a tubal ligation done. We notice a significant jump in the amount and intensity of migraines I had a month. For the last 6 years I had them 10+ days a month. I, too, bled 20+ days a month. We tried several different options for the migraines and the bleeding. Nothing worked long term. The topamax caused side effects that I couldnt handle. So finally, I told my GYN I wanted a hyster. I am 34, not having anymore kids and my dear husband couldn't deal with me being so sickly. I have iron deficient anemia from all the blood loss. My GYN did some tests and agreed to the hyster. On march 20, of this year I had a LAVH. They left both ovaries, but took everything else. They found I had, adenmiosis (spelling?). It was causing my heavy flow and severe pelvic pain, cramping, and other issues. It's been 11 weeks today since my surgery and I have been headache free! I'm stil struggling with the iron deficiency but, I wouldn't undo a thing. Having a hysterectomy was the best decision of my life! No bleeding 20+ days a month, no pelvic pain, no worry of taking an extra set of clothes everywhere I go, and best of all, no debilitating migraines! Good luck!
Unread 06-05-2012, 12:20 AM

Hi, I have suffered migraines for 13yrs, since the birth of my 4th child. I had a hysterectomy a few years ago, but kept my ovaries. Have been on Topomax for 18months & am currently on 125mg twice a day. I also have Maxalt as a preventative. It sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. On a good month I only have 1 migraine, a bad month 3. I always end up having morphine and phenergan injections at the hospital every 8hrs when I have a migraine & eventually get admitted & put on a drip after about the 5th injection. This is my life as a migraine sufferer. I hate it. I see a Neurologist who I'd trying to get my dosage right. Each time he adjusts my topomax, the migraines decrease for a few months. Then as my body gets used to it, the migraines get worse. Triggers are not enough sleep, stress, alcohol, Fluro lights, too much chocolate, overcast weather mostly & sometimes nothing at all. I live my life around my migraines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-07-2012, 03:07 PM

Hi I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago, and still suffered from migraines due to hormones, I had everything taken away, so unsure why this was still happening. Last year I got a bad case of shingles which has left me with post herpatic neuralgia, I have been taking St Johns Wort twice a day to help with the pain which it does and has also cleared up my migraines. Don´t know how it works but it does, because I stopped taking the St Johns Wort and the migraines came back.
Unread 06-15-2012, 02:13 AM

I too have migraines they are hereditary and have had them since I was 16. I haven't needed to be on anything other than a 800mg IB for several years but I did have a back up pain med for may years when the headaches did come on I had to take it. I had my hyst on the 29th of May have had one headache since but it was when the barometer went whacko, my triggers can be lots of things from weather, stress, lighting, food, or hormones. The migraine were only one of the reasons I chose a hyst I was about not able to function for for about 2 week a month due to abdomen pain. headaches, or just the emotional/moodiness. Every time they put me on a BC pill even low doses it would not help it usually make them worse or more frequent. I am in the beginning stages of my journey and hoping with time they will stop along with all my other issues and I can have a normal month with out all the pains.

Good luck with your choice and best wishes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register