anyone got 14yr old son with diabetes | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone got 14yr old son with diabetes anyone got 14yr old son with diabetes

Unread 05-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Exclamation - anyone got 14yr old son with diabetes anyone got 14yr old son with diobetis

my 14yr old son was diognosied 7mths ago with it and is rebelling really bad eating what he should not etc rebelling at school and at home he has type 1 injects 6 times aday feel sorry for him but have to sort him out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2004, 03:55 PM
anyone got 14yr old son with diabetes

Hi! I got diabetes when I was 25, so I'm not really in either your or his category. However, I can maybe listen to your concerns and comment from the point of view of someone who's been in the trenches for a while.

Is your son of normal weight for his size and age? Did his diabetes come on suddenly? Who is treating him? Why six injections a day? What kind of insulin combination? How is he acting out? (Overeating? Undereating? Provoking low blood sugars? High blood sugars? Using his illness as a weapon? etc.....)

This is no doubt scant comfort, but FWIW: He's a kid, and acting out and rebelling is what kids do. Try to keep that in mind as you assess the severity of his acting out. If it's not immediately dangerous behavior, please try to breathe first and wait before you take the bait.

Also, seven months is NOTHING in terms of time to get used to the fact that one is facing a lifetime of needles, regimented diet, annoying daily schedule, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. It takes a long time to come to grips with any permanent illness, and this is no exception. Your son might do okay in a year or two, or he might not. He might need a brutal scare or two, or even a complication or two--or ten--to wake him up to the fact that what he has can and will kill him in a way that he does not want to go, if he doesn't take charge of his illness and his life. You can't pour that into his brain and make it stick. It has to come from within.

I'm sure that is not at all what you'd like to hear, and likely you know it yourself already. But if he's an otherwise average 14 year old, he is plenty capable of learning to manage his diabetes himself. But his motivation won't come from you, most likely. Something will eventually make a light bulb come on. It might be from getting together with other diabetic teengagers, or it might be finding out how famous people with diabetes cope, or maybe something seemingly unrelated.

What would you like to see happen in your current situation, and in what time frame?
Unread 05-29-2004, 03:12 AM

Hi Diane,

When my DD had her first BF, She was 14, He was 15, I found out he had it. It was his first year with it. He was always trying to get attention from everybody. He found out early that if he didn't foolow dr. orders he would end up in the hospital. He would put himself there any time he got in trouble so no one would be mad at him, cause they were to busy worrying about his health. It worked on me to, for awhile. It upset my DD so much that I made them break up. You guess it, he was back in the hospital. He told my DD it was my fault. She 'woke up' and told he she would be with some one who wasn't willing to stay healthy for themself, let alone for her. She told him if he changed his mind about taking care of his diebetie, she might hook up with him again. It took a near death episode for him to change. He was 19. They never got back together, but he is still her friend. He has it under control now, but had to go to counsling and learn the hard way.

I would recomend some counsling, if you can get him to go. You might tell him it for more for you to learn how to deal with it. I wish you all the best in your long jounery ahead. Here's a big (((HUG))) too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2004, 04:30 PM
Smile - anyone got 14yr old son with diabetes anyone got 14yr old son with diabetes

Maddianne:

Hi. I am 42 and was diagnosed with Type I diabetes when I was 9 years old. I went through the rebellious teenage years and ate a lot of what I shouldn't have, etc., etc. Please have patience with your son, he will be fine. As for 6 injections a day, have you checked into an insulin pump. I have been on one for almost 20 years. No daily injections and much better blood sugar control. I have a reasonably "normal" life including 2 healthy (Thank God)children.

Take care.
Unread 05-29-2004, 05:36 PM

You might want to look around in your area for diabetes summer camps. We have camps in southern California with diabetes weeks, heart disease weeks, asthma, etc. It's great to be around other kids who are dealing with the same thing, and there are always doctors, nurses, and education activities.

Diabetes care is very complex, but I echo (((Cindyanne's))) suggestion about the insulin pump; it does a MUCH better job of regulation, and it's a lot less tempting to cheat everything and fight the constant injections!

Exercise, the more the better, also help enormously to regulate blood sugar swings; his needs will change with adolescent hormonal changes as well.

Good luck!

Audrey
Unread 05-30-2004, 01:37 AM
Thumbs up - anyone got 14yr old son with diabetes pump??

dont even no what that is could you tell me a bit more in the uk we dont have camps dont i wish it would give him a break and also us esp with me goig into *** 14th june thats playing on him aswell tryed to email back to you audrey as well interested in the insulin pump america is diff from here already been warned not to follow american recipes?? they work the diet diff over here if you can let me no more about pump would be very appreciated they only tel you here what they want you to no thanks alot for all the replys feel like no one in the world has the same problems thanks againdiane
Unread 05-30-2004, 01:43 AM
pump??

really need to no more about the insulin pump then i can say to his diobetic nurses the more info i have on it the better could yous please let me no details dont mean to sound stupid but never even heard anyone in this country with it but the way they try to cut back that might be reason dont mind buying him it if it makes his life better thanks to both who have told me about it
p.s sorry for not using the lingo as i,m still trying to get used to it no i used a word before was not suppose to but i have my 2 wee girls fighting over me while i am trying to type bye love to all diane
Unread 05-30-2004, 10:47 AM

Diane, I can't speak specifically about Britain, but the pump *is* available and used in the EU. It has been available in Germany for nearly twenty years. I cannot imagine the pump being denied to someone who needs it even under the GB medical system.

Does the diet you learned use measured portions, calorie counting, carb counting.....something else? Carb counting has been in use in Germany since the '80's; I went to "diabetes school" (for newly diagnosed diabetics) there in 1989 and it was commonly used at that time. But when I moved back to the USA in 1990 and tried to tell docs I used carb counting for my diet measuring, they looked at me like I was out of my brain. Now it's the big "new" thing here.

I'll do a little Googling and see what kind of UK-specific teaching and training information I can find. Since I'm still in the recovery phase I'm at home and have a lot of time on my hands (in between naps and walks and the like LOL).
Unread 05-30-2004, 11:41 AM

I found what looks like an excellent website for you created by users of the insulin pump IN THE U.K. They're HERE. There's also a website for Diabetes UK with information about the insulin pump.

And here's a link I found to camps in the UK. You're right, there isn't that much, but obviously there are organizations that help you AND your son, where you can get the information you both need to manage this.

(((Elizabeth's))) point about the carb-counting is spot-on, and only coming to the US diabetes establishment lately. But the fact is, some carbs raise the blood sugar much faster than others (which can lead to a "crash"). If you do a search on this site for "glycemic index" you'll see a number of posts that can explain this concept better than I can in a brief reply.

Joining Diabetes UK may be the best thing for both of you; if your son perceives the two of you as a team against the world (and your doctors who appear to be uninterested in diabetes education) then maybe you'd be able to gain some more cooperation -- and he might be able to gain a pal or two who shares his experience. Also, if there is any way that you can find a pediatric endocrinologist, this is your best bet for appropriate help with lifelong management...

Audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register