2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech 2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech

Unread 02-05-2003, 08:57 AM
2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech

Jennifer, I am glad you had a postive experience with your speech therapist. I recently read my daughter's initial summary,
and when she was 3 yrs. old, the therapist thought that she could possibly have apraxia or an auditory processing problem. Later on, her speech therapist found her to have the auditory processing deficit. As I said earlier, my daugther had speech therapy twice a week for seven years, and it was also a positive experience for both of us. Our insurance did cover it. Practicing speech assignments with my daughter was also enjoyable for both us. You might want to ask for a written summary in case you need any documentation in the future. Good luck and happy speaking!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-05-2003, 09:40 AM

Jennifer, you might want to read this weblink titled "Getting Health Plans to Pay for Pediatric Verbal Apraxia."

http://professional.asha.org/news/bl020122.cfm
Unread 02-09-2003, 09:49 PM
Talking - 2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech 2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech

Thanks so much everyone for sharing your stories it has made me realize I am not in this alone. I know everyone out there has their own problems to deal with but sometimes I lose sight of that and I feel overwhelmed like I am the only one going through a tough patch in life. Within the last year, I moved from MD to KY, had two surgeries, my son had surgery too, my mother died of cancer, found out about him having Apraxia and now this upcoming TAH/RSO of mine.

Thank goodness for this website and folks like you who care enough to give a complete stranger advice, love and support, not to mention the words of encouragement to able me to continue on down the path of life even if it seems so long you all are the BEST!

One thing I am dissapointed about though while researching Apraxia is the lack of sites that help me. I have been to all the usual ones like Asha.Org, Apraxia.org and so forth but they aren't what I am looking for. I need a place to network with others who have children with the same disorder.

I have gone to one site that is supposed to have live chat but no one is ever there when I am so that is a let down. I have left messages on boards but never get responses. The messages that ARE on there are out dated. Maybe I am just spoiled with THIS site and nothing else will compare ! Thanks again!

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-10-2003, 12:10 PM

(((Jennifer)))) Sorry to be late in this conversation: I just saw it.

My niece, now 8.5 yo, was diagnosed with Apraxia when she was 3 or 4 years old In her case, it was directly linked to her lacking oxygen at birth (she'd had an intrauterine bm and almost died at birth). She also suffers from chronic ear infections: has had tubes two or three times and the infection keeps invading the tubes. Result is, that when the infections flare, she is deaf.

As I said, she 8.5 yo and has practically no speach delay, thanks to very effective Speach and Language Therapy sessions until she was 6 yo.

My son is now 11.5 yo and also needed Speak Therapy, because of a serious speach delay. In his case it was due to a combination of three things:

1) Incredibly large tonsils and adenoids that were preventing him from breathing properly and from acquiring the guttural sounds he should have acquired;

2) Central Auditory Processing Disorder that was preventing him from concentrating on sounds effectively (this was diagnosed when he 5.5 yo); and

3) Attention Defficit/Hyperactivity Disorder which was causing him to not pay attention to the spoken language.

As I said, he's now 11.5 years old. He still does not speak "quite right" but it's barely noticeable nowadays. However, he's acquired all the sounds that he needs and is more likely to correct himself.

In my son's case, I knew from the time he was about 1 year old that there was something wrong, but it wasn't until he was 3.5 yo that my worries were acknowledged

It's always a good idea to have the hearing of a child who's demonstrating speach delay evaluated. This is done to ensure that no stone is left unturn, yes, but also to rule out all other possibilities when posing a diagnostic.

BTW: I'm one of those children who never talked until she was 3.... but then, I never shut... or so my father used to complain
Unread 02-13-2003, 12:00 AM
Update!

Hello all !

I had my pre-op today at the hospital. While I was there I decided to go to the speech lab to see if, by chance, they had my sons speech evaluation finished yet, which it was. The girl who did the test was there and had some free time so she sat down with me and we went over it. She said my son has the preceptive language/communication skills of a three year old though he is 2.5 years old so that is good to hear. However his expressive language/communication skills are behind which we already knew, so that wasn't new. She thinks he will do well in speech therapy and wants us to come in twice a week for six months then they will re-evaluate.

She isn't completely postive that it is Apraxia at this point, but she isn't ruling it out either. She said the only way to know for sure what is wrong is to work with him. Catch is there is a two month waiting list to get in. However that would be GOOD for me since I am having surgery next week. It would give me enough time to get well enough to take him to therapy myself since I will be the one working with him the most on this.

So that is the most I know at this point. Once we start therapy I will have to keep you posted and if I run into any snags or have questions I will leave them at this post in hopes someone can help me out. Thanks for listening!

Jennifer
Unread 02-13-2003, 07:37 AM

Hi Jennifer, I'm glad that your son is going to get into the speech therapy. It will make such a difference for him. As I was reading your last post, I had a thought. Could you call the speech therapist (or the hospital where the test was done) and see if there is something you can do in the next two months to help him. Like flash cards or something like that. You could start on it after your home from the hospital. It would help your son out and at the same time, give the two of you something to sit and do together while you are resting. I know you don't have much time to get out and get something, but it could be something simple as new picture books or as I said before, flash cards. Just a thought. Stay in touch. Let us know how everything is going.
Take care!
Unread 02-13-2003, 08:51 AM

NancH,

Actually I am in the process of teaching him simple signs from American Sign Language to help him communicate better until he can speak well enough to let me know what he wants. He is picking it up rather quickly so I am greatful for that. Another thing she told me to do is to work on colors so I have been trying to incorporate that into our everyday activities like "can you bring mommy the blue ball, or wow, look at this picture there is a blue sky, green grass" and so on.

I still have tons of stuff to pick up at the store before surgery. I am so far behind which isn't like me but I have had a lot on my plate this past month. I plan to take your advice and buy some flash cards to work with him. That is something, like you said, that I can do while I am laying in the bed. This way he won't feel like he is cut off from me if I work with him everyday. Thanks for the idea!!! I should have thought of that already but like I said before I am just not with it and I have been kind of preoccupied I guess. OH WELL LIFE GOES ON! Thanks again!

Jennifer
Unread 03-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Dont blame youself

My 2 year old foster daughter has a speech delay. She is in a program called Babies cant wait. It is in Georgia. many many children have speech delays. Janie is about to graduate the program. She was neglected and abused by birth mom but now she can say anything she wants. It is so frustrating not knowing what they are saying. I have had to guess sometiimes. Try (as hard as you can) not to show your frustration and get the child to point if possible. I am sure your child will do well but most important dont blame yourself. just accept the situation and show confidence in your child. Praise works wonders. God Bless you, you sound like a wonderful mom.
Unread 03-13-2003, 01:29 PM

Dany,

My son had his tonsils and adnoids removed because they were touching so I am hoping that is part of the problem. He has begun to say a lot more words since his surgery so that is promising. He had his hearing tested the other day and all is normal so we were relieved with that news. We still haven't started therapy, still on a waiting list. Thanks for posting your own experience, it makes me see that I am not alone.

Dixiepeep,

I am in the process of finding out what other things I can get my son into to help him out until therapy starts for him. I am new to this area so I have no clue what is out there for him. I was given numbers from some stuff from the speech therapist but haven't heard back from those places yet.

After I read my path report from my surgery three weeks ago my husband and I literally cried with joy because from what the report said my remaining ovary was full of cysts and the tube was completely blocked with endometriosis therefore had we tried for another child it wouldn't have happened. My left ovary was in such bad shape (had it removed in Dec) the doctor said it wouldn't have helped me in any way egg wise to try for another child and it wasn't like that over night it had been bad for some time.

We then realized just how much of a miracle child our son is. We named him Nathaniel because that means "gift of God" because that is what we felt he was at the time I found out I was pregnant...longer story...won't bore you with details.

ANYWAY, Nathaniel is the child that God wanted us to have and we will do anything in our power to make sure he is helped with anything that is wrong with him so I no longer blame myself. I have accepted this as it is and am working with him to help him overcome it. Thanks so much for your kind words and GOD BLESS YOU!!! Thanks

Jennifer
Unread 03-14-2003, 07:54 AM
A gift from God

I tried for ten years to have a child but I had endo, adymn, fibroids, and cysts. I had a misscarriage at 11 weeks and I know I have a child in Heaven. Now we have 3 foster children that we are planning to adopt shortly. I know that I did not carry these children in my body but I just could not love them more. I know God gave me these children through his will. My will was to get pregnant but God had another plan. I totally feel so blessed that God chose me to be the kids mother. I would not have it any other way. The baby has an eye birth defect and he may lose his eye later in life but until then many prayers will come from my heart that God will heal him. God bless your son he is a gift. I will pray that God will give you direction on resources.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register