2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > HysterSisters Connecting Friends > Friends Without Faces > Surviving Parenthood

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech 2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech

Unread 06-15-2003, 11:04 PM
Talking - 2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech UPDATE!

I have wonderful news to report about my son! He has FINALLY gotten speech therapy, after months of waiting, and just loves his therapist, which is a blessing.

After a month of working with him the therapist has told me she feels the orginal therapist misdiagnosed him, which was apraxia. She feels he does NOT have apraxia but rather a regular speech delay without a diagnoses!!!

She said with work via her and when he goes to preschool (gets speech therapy there) this fall he should be able to catch up by the time he gets to kindergarten. What a relief it was to hear this. We still have to work each week just the same with his homework but it is worth it.

He has come such a long way since the very first evaluation that I am blown away. He talks more, and is no longer grunting and pointing for things. He is using the signs we have taught him for things that he used to want but couldn't explain to me what they were. He is such a fast learner with the signs but I guess it is because of his age.

ANYWAY, I am rambling, but I thought I would give you all an update. Thanks so much for your support!

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2003, 03:59 PM
2 1/2 Year Old Son With Delayed Speech

Jennifer,
I found this board by doing a search for something else on the website. My 2 1/2 year old has a speech delay as well. You mentioned paying for therapy. I don't know if you realize this, but if your child needs therapy there are programs that are federally mandated that will pay for that therapy. When I realized that my son was behind in speech....I was scared to death. Fortunately I found the right people who referred me to the right people. We now get therapy at our house which we do not pay anything for. Unfortunately for us, our son is probably autistic as well so we have started other therapy....but we have not paid for it. Children under the age of 3 in ANY state are eligible for this. After the age of 3 the school districts have therapists who will work with the children.
I know all too well the sinking feeling of knowing something is not quite right with your child, and the blame game you play with yourself (was it my fault, did I do something during pregnancy, etc.) As hard as it is...try not to focus on that. You will probably never know the answer to that...focus on your child and the speech =)
Good luck with this. Please remember you are not alone. It is so hard to remember that at times when you are dealing with something like this...we have dealt with it for 6 months and there are still days I feel alone in dealing with it!
Unread 06-17-2003, 06:37 PM

I happen to be both a special education teacher and a certified ASL interpreter. I also work for a state department of education. I didn't notice where you're from, but all states have some kind of a "child find" system through the department of education. Get in touch with them; get an evaluation (it's probably free).

Please know that it's tough to diagnose young kids. So hearing the serious stuff and then finding out it's not so bad...well that's really good news.

There are several baby sign books out on the market now. I can also refer you to a company called Signs of Development, which markets a cd of babysigns. I've heard it's very good.

If you have specific questions and I can help you out, email me privately.

Beth Ann
TAH/BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-17-2003, 09:46 PM

Thanks Bethany and Beth Ann for responding to my post, I appreiciate it. I guess it had been so long since I had posted before last night that I forgot that I hadn't updated about which program we got into.

He is in a state funded one called Kentucky's First Steps that is free and for childern under the age of 3. The therapist comes directly to the house which is so nice. It sounds identical to the program your son is in Bethany. It has been a blessing to us money wise as well as with his speech. Since he will be turning 3 this fall he will be moved out of this program and into preschool which will be free for us as well. He will get therapy there so it is just a step up from what we have been doing here.

My ONLY frustration with this whole process is that someone should have told me about Kentuckys First Step's program sooner. I had orginally taken him in January to the hospital's speech center for his evaluation. It cost us $300 to have it done because we hadn't met the deductable for 2003. Had I been told about Kentucky's First Step program and gone through them the evaluation would have been free! But the thing is, I had signed up for his evaluation with the speech center in September of 2002 but they were so booked that they couldn't get him IN until January. When I made the appointment in September and they knew they couldn't get us in until January someone at the speech center should have THEN told me about KFS which DIDN'T have a waiting list at the time. I even mentioned that I couldn't afford the $300 up front and had to make payments, again opening the door for them to tell me about KFS but never ONCE did they mention it to me. No use getting worked up now about it since it is something I can't change now. As the saying goes, no use crying ove spilt milk. I am just taking it day by day with him. This whole thing has been a learning process for us both, that is for sure.

I AM glad for one thing I did which was take a college level Sign Language course in high school my senior year, it has REALLY come in handy with him. He is learning the signs so quickly and continues to use the signs well after he learns to verbally say the word that it goes with. The therapist said he will outgrow that but it is neat to see him say the word "help" and do the sign at the same time.

Well, it is late and I have to be up early so I am off to bed. Thanks again for responding to my post I appreicate all the advice you gave me.

Jennifer
Unread 08-01-2003, 01:35 PM

that is just so great the evaluation on your son's speech went well. it has been several moknths now, Is he still behind or chatchin upp?I have a 29 weeker premie who is now 2 last week and his speech is just 5 words, but he also signs about 5 words too. We use ASL in our home, both my husband and I are deaf. If my son. They say he is a candidate for speach therapy. Because he is such a young premie we worry about everything. Two months ago he had phemonia. it was positively scary. Now he is great.
Good luck kto you and God to bless you all
Unread 08-01-2003, 03:36 PM

Littlebird,

He is catching up, but he has a ways to go before he is where he should be with his speech. Things have gotten a lot easier around here though so I am greatful for that. He used to throw such horrible tantrums when he couldn't get us to understand what it was that he wanted and now it is like being around a different child.

He tries very hard to get the words out when he is asking for something. If he can't get them out after a few attempts then he will point to what it is he is asking for which is a huge step for him. Before he would just point and grunt, slap himself in the head, pull his hair then throw himself onto the floor in frustration. He has come a long way. I just hope he does well in preschool, I am a bit nervous about it. But I will cross that bridge when we get there.

Jennifer
Unread 08-04-2003, 08:35 AM
Son with Speech Problem

My 2 1/2 year old foster daughter had a speech delay. From what I learned from her former foster homes all she did was grunt. You are very fortunate that your son's problem has been addressed this early in his life. My soon to be adopted daughter now 3 1/2 was about your sons age when diagnosed. I agree with Audrey, sign language for even simple commands will make your son feel so much better. When he does use signs praise him. Then he will feel more secure about communicating. Janie went to Babies Cant Wait and was tested. I was floored at how much she understood but could not tell me. She knew a lot of shapes and the difference between big and little. She is now talking in sentences and has graduated Babies Cant Wait!!!! You did not do anything for your son to be delayed in speech. He just may need a little jump start like Janie did. You would not believe she is the same child if you read how she was before she learned to talk. She would get so frustrated too and that is such a hard age for a kid and mommie. The therapists will help him and if you ever need to chat please email me. We have 3 foster children ages 22 months, 3 yrs, and 4 yrs. we will be adopting them soon. We have had them in our home since baby was 5 1/2 weeks old.
Unread 09-29-2003, 11:01 PM

Well, it's hard to believe that it was about 9 months ago when I posted the first message in this thread. My son has come along way since then. He has turned 3 and is in preschool. He absolutely loves it, which suprised us (hubby and I). He even wants to start riding the bus! He is talking more and more but is still behind other kids his age when it comes to speech.

They did find a blockage of some sort in his one ear (via the topanagram) during the phsycial for school so I made an appointment with his ENT (ear, nose and throat Dr) to have him check it out. They think that may be part of his speech delay. I do hope it is something that can be easily fixed. But I have a feeling that he is headed down the road to getting tubes put in. I didn't want to have to go that route but if he needs them he needs them and we won't say no to it.

Other than that, everything is going well. Hope all is well with everyone else and that you have a good Halloween!

Jennifer
Unread 02-28-2004, 12:37 PM

First make sure your child can hear. Next check and see if your community has a child development center where you can get support you might need. Then be aware that sometimes a delay like this effects reading especially if it is problems with ear infections because the sounds are not heard correctly and not imprinted correctly. This can cause delay, however it is your job to be patient and supportive no matter what...it will come. Take care Bookfairy
Unread 02-28-2004, 02:28 PM

I think (((Jennifer))) has been able to get the help she needs; the initial post in this thread was over a year ago .

Jennifer, how are things going? Did your DS have to get tubes? They can make a dramatic difference in the ability to hear; a friend of mine had to do that with one of her children, and the change was immediate and positive for them.

audrey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register