Not sure if my ovaries will ever wake up, 8 months after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Natural Meno Post Hysterectomy - Kept Ovaries

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not sure if my ovaries will ever wake up, 8 months after hysterectomy Not sure if my ovaries will ever wake up, 8 months after hysterectomy

Unread 10-01-2020, 02:53 PM
Not sure if my ovaries will ever wake up, 8 months after hysterectomy

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 8 months ago in mid-February. I wanted children, but my uterus was so messed up. I kept both my ovaries which my doctor confirmed looked healthy at the time. I had no menopause symptoms immediately after surgery and had a regular PMS cycle all the way up until July when I noticed I didn't get my usual PMS symptoms (breast tenderness, water retention, cravings). I thought it was a one off and waited, thinking maybe it was just stress. Around early September, I started getting what I'd consider to be mild hot flashes, occasional night sweats, moodiness and my sex drive has completely disappeared.

I know there's a certain amount of estrogen stored up that will slowly bleed off after surgery. I figured that stored up estrogen was what gave me 5-ish months of a normal cycle and now I'm all out and my ovaries have actually been asleep this entire time. I'm so far past my surgery date that I'm worried they'll never wake up.

I'm terrified of my ovaries failing because I'm only in my early 30s and had some hopes of doing egg retrieval. I saw my doctor just before my estrogen stores ran out so things were still normal back then. I have an appointment with her again in a few weeks, but I'm hoping some of you have similar stories to mine with ovaries that have been dormant for almost a year and can give me some hope that my ovaries will wake back up and be OK at some point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-21-2020, 03:06 PM
Re: Not sure if my ovaries will ever wake up, 8 months after hysterectomy

I hope someone who can relate will be along to share encouragement.

Please do update after your appointment to let us know what your doctor has to say.

Unread 10-30-2020, 10:26 PM
Not sure if my ovaries will ever wake up, 8 months after hysterectomy

me too i had a partial hysterectomy end of February this year 5 months after and i felt great and three montha ago started feeling fatigue, anxious, depressed, no sex drive.. went to gyno they did all hormonal panel and im normal.they say that with my one ovary does the same job as two ovaries and no, they do not go to sleep like you say becuase blood still runs thru them. Hope you find a answer because myself i am going crazy with no actual explanation.
  Quote:
Originally Posted by snoodlers View Post
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 8 months ago in mid-February. I wanted children, but my uterus was so messed up. I kept both my ovaries which my doctor confirmed looked healthy at the time. I had no menopause symptoms immediately after surgery and had a regular PMS cycle all the way up until July when I noticed I didn't get my usual PMS symptoms (breast tenderness, water retention, cravings). I thought it was a one off and waited, thinking maybe it was just stress. Around early September, I started getting what I'd consider to be mild hot flashes, occasional night sweats, moodiness and my sex drive has completely disappeared.

I know there's a certain amount of estrogen stored up that will slowly bleed off after surgery. I figured that stored up estrogen was what gave me 5-ish months of a normal cycle and now I'm all out and my ovaries have actually been asleep this entire time. I'm so far past my surgery date that I'm worried they'll never wake up.

I'm terrified of my ovaries failing because I'm only in my early 30s and had some hopes of doing egg retrieval. I saw my doctor just before my estrogen stores ran out so things were still normal back then. I have an appointment with her again in a few weeks, but I'm hoping some of you have similar stories to mine with ovaries that have been dormant for almost a year and can give me some hope that my ovaries will wake back up and be OK at some point?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-10-2020, 08:34 AM

Same here.. Anyone have any insight?
Unread 12-10-2020, 04:18 PM

ask your dr to do a hormone panel...that will give you the answers. wish you the best of luck!
Unread 02-19-2021, 06:58 PM

I had a full hysterectomy 1/26/21 I kept both ovaries. I already experienced hot flashes and night sweats, which my dr said could last for 10 years. However since surgery they have gotten worse as well as my insomnia. I hope you get some answers!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register