Successful Ablation stories wanted - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Successful Ablation stories wanted Successful Ablation stories wanted

Unread 09-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Successful Ablation stories wanted

Hi. Thank you so much, it does help a TON To hear good news like this. I hope you stay period free, and that I am lucky too!

Just got the call today, my ablation is scheduled for Friday, Sept. 24th, pending the biopsy comes back fine, it's not back yet, but I expect it to be fine.

Thanks for everyones replies.

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-10-2004, 04:03 AM
i had one

I had a Hyrdothermal ablation in April 2003 and started expereincing bad pain in June. It was so bad that I had to lay down when I would come abck from grocery shopping and sometimes when walking I would just have to stop and bend over. It turned out I had a small fibroid and adenomiosis. We did not know any of this until after I had my hyster in Sept 2003. I had 2 diffferent doctors perform my procedures and the 2nd one who did hyster said that ablation is not good if you have adenomyosis that it can irritate it and make you feel worse.

denise
Unread 09-10-2004, 08:15 AM

Hi Denise,

I was wondering "why" they didn't know or check out aden. BEFORE the ablation?? What pre-ablation testing did you have done?

Thanks for replying, I am *wondering* now about possible aden. for myself, so once I get my uterine Biopsy results back (hopefully today!) I will ask that ?, even though I already have a surgery date.

Ultrasound showed everything fine/clean. No signs at all of my endo, fibroids, etc. all lasered out a few years ago, great news to me, but also a total surprise, as I thought for sure that was what had come back and was causing this massive bleeding.

I don't get pain, did you get monthly pain before the ablation?
I am assuming those who get pain, had some pain before during their monthlys? I don't now, but dont' want any surprise pain all of a sudden after it for a few months like you.

How did your hyst go? Well I hope. My #1 goal is to NOT have a hyster. at all, unless it's a cancer issue, I will NOT get one, ever.

Thanks so much!
Kathy
Unread 09-10-2004, 08:24 AM

Denise. that was interesting information you gave there. I had an ablation on 25th August and have just been told by the Doctor that the Path report came back with Adeno. Given this is now 2 wks and 2 ago, I had expected the spotting to have stopped by now. Instead last Sunday, it actually got slightly heavier and as I was cramping like a period, correctly assumed it was my period. To be honest, I still dont feel completely right and now you have said that an ablation can irritate the adeno, I am wondering it this is the case for me. On top of that I have also ended up with numb leg symdrome where a nerve in my left leg has been irritated, so might end up with physical therapy for that.
Unread 09-10-2004, 08:41 AM

I suppose you could say my ablation story is partially successful. In July, 2002 I was in the ER for heavy bleeding. Four days, four units of blood, and a D&C later, I was home. Path report said I'd had an adenomyoma. I was somewhat better for a month or two, but the bleeding was increasing. Scheduled an EA for late December, 2002. It got moved up when I started hemorhaging on the way home from a cat show in Oklahoma the first weekend in Dec.

Had the ablation on a Thursday, went back to work on Monday. I had some light bleeding for about a week afterwards. For the next 18 months all seemed well. My periods were light to normal -- but after the super heavy, can't be five minutes away from the bathroom kind I'd had before, I considered it a success. Unfortunately, in June I started spotting all the time. Periods are now heavier and I have to use a pad every single day. I've given in and am scheduled a hysterectomy for Dec 15th.

Knowing what I do today, I'd have still had the EA. For one, it gave me the extra time to learn about adenomyosis -- which is more than likely what my problem is. (I should note that I have a lot of pain with my periods, and it's been increasing along with the bleeding.) I've had two years to learn about hysterectomies and get some questions answered -- a lot better than a decision made in the emergency room when you're afraid you're bleeding to death! I've also had two more years of employment at the same company, getting me to the magic three year mark which means I'll receive full pay while I'm out of the office for surgery and recovery. :-) I am able to schedule the surgery for a time that works with the rest of my lifestyle.

I'd really hoped that the effects of the EA would last longer -- I'm almost 47 and was hoping menopause would come along and solve things without surgery. No such luck. I was told two years ago that if I have adeno, a hysterectomy was the only "cure" and the EA would likely not work -- at least not for long. So I'm not going to ask to have another done, since menopause doesn't seem eminent. I can't see going in every couple years for an EA and dealing with the pain, spotting, and general annoyances of never knowing when you might bleed. I'll just be happy to have it over with!
Unread 09-10-2004, 08:54 AM

Hi Lisa.

Did you have pain or cramping with your heavy periods BEFORE the ablation, or only afterwards when things started to get heavy or continue non-stop?

I'm still trying to figure out one last part: I have no pain pre-ablation, just massive hemmorage bleeding monthly, but I am hoping that I wont all of a sudden get pain/cramps months after an ablation if I don't have pain now, before.

Thanks so much!

Kathy
Unread 09-10-2004, 11:35 AM
reply to questions

I had endometrial biopsy but from what I have researched and learned the only true test and results for adenomyosis is pathology after hyst. There are sometimes that a doctor can do an MRI and see it but not always. I did not have the extreme cramping before the EA. I had ultasounds and everything appeared normal. I hope some of my expereince helps but I am not a doctor so my story is me and everyone is unique so ask questions and keep going till you get the results you want.

denise
Unread 09-10-2004, 12:17 PM

Hi Kathy,

I had cramping and pain before the ablation. I'd describe my periods as painful but not debillitating. It didn't get any worse afterwards -- until the last few months when I also started having more bleeding again. My understanding is that adeno is also the problem behind that because tissue grows between the muscles in the walls of the uterus. When you have your period, the muscles contract -- and when they try to contract around the adeno, it hurts! The worse the adeno, the more pain. I've gotten to the point of feeling like I'm having back labor. I take 800mg ibuprofen about every 3-4 hours for the duration of my periods -- about 7 to 10 days -- to get by. It dulls the pain, doesn't make it go away.
Unread 09-10-2004, 01:30 PM

Hi Kathy,
I had an ablation done Sept. 03. Sono showed no endo, Endo-biop was clear, so did the D & C/thermal balloon ablation. I was having very heavy GUSHERS periods, pain, and was anemic to the point of not breathing very well. After the ablation, which WAS a breeze, I was elated that it was so easy, and I looked forward to NO more Aunt Flo. A month later, I had a semi-heavy period, and extreme pain. After another endo-biop, my dr concluded that the ablation had failed, as some endometrium had managed to survive. But, to look on the bright side, Aunt Flo was much diminished. Two months later, I started cramping, but no Aunt Flo... every month after that, cramping got worse. Finally on July 04, the pain was unbearable. I was crying.I was bleeding. I felt like I had commenced labor. Called the dr. Tried another Endo-biop. Failed, as there was too much scar tissue from the ablation. Had a sono done-looked all clear, although I had the usual "very thickened endometrium", and the uterus was enlarged. Was told it was hyster-time. No uncertain terms, I was told I was sitting on a time bomb. I am now three weeks post surgery. I had a LAVH/BSO on August 23, 04. I will get the path. report on Sept. 20, and I am curious as to what was found. So, long story, short ending..I wish I 'd done the hyster right off the bat. Sorry this is not a more comforting post about successful ablations. In a way, I am glad I had the ablation, as I did get relief, but it was short-lived.
Wishing you the very best, Jayne
Unread 09-10-2004, 02:07 PM
Still in Pain

I had a thermal ablation on 8/2003 and have no more bleeding but am still having pain, actually its gotten worse not better, I feel like I have back labor, motrin every 4 hours, I see the Dr. on 9/27 for what comes next......I know hysterectomy....

Sorry its not a positive story, but thought you should know..

Good Luck

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register