Mirena- Tell me your experience... - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mirena- Tell me your experience... Mirena- Tell me your experience...

Unread 02-07-2016, 05:49 PM
Mirena- Tell me your experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenekm View Post
Cara
I love that we are going through it together too! The first night my neck got really itchy for a few hours but then it was gone . Every new symptom is a little scary but every medication has side effects. When my doctor put mine in I was at the end of my period and he said I had clots in my vagina still. ??? I am not due for my next period until around the 24th. I was thinking the same thing....if it is as heavy as usual the IUD is going to get washed out in the gushes! I just keep praying every day and keep myself distracted. Did your doctor say anything about taking a bath? I have only been showering because I am not sure about infection risk with a bath. My doctor didn't say anything . I have been drinking tons of water because I think any hormone in my system will get flushed out easier!
Hugs
Lorene
I almost forgot...I'm not moody but I've cried every day over something! and I am normally NOT a crier !!
Lorene,
How are you today?
My doc told me I can resume all normal activities right away so I assume that includes a bath. I'm with you though, I haven't been doing anything that may cause infection (no tampons, sex, baths, etc.) I think it's wise to give it a couple days to heal.

I'm doing pretty good today. I have had some lower back pain like in the sciatica region and that's not normal for me. Hopefully it will go away too.
My other stuff has subsided so that's good news.
Hope you're doing well!!

Cara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2016, 06:41 PM
Re: Mirena- Tell me your experience...

Ck92,
I had Mirena for about six months. It was one of many options I tried before having my hysterectomy. My flow was so heavy before, during, and after Mirena that I was anemic. The flow I had, caused the Mirena to slip out of place. I had to have it removed as soon as my doctor discovered it had moved. A few months later I had my hysterectomy. I believe it is very important to try the least invasive options first. Everyone is different and you never know what options will work until you try. I would still have tried all the options I did before having a hysterectomy. Mirena is less invasive than surgery. I wish you well. Take care!
BJhoney
Unread 02-07-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJhoney View Post
Ck92,
I had Mirena for about six months. It was one of many options I tried before having my hysterectomy. My flow was so heavy before, during, and after Mirena that I was anemic. The flow I had, caused the Mirena to slip out of place. I had to have it removed as soon as my doctor discovered it had moved. A few months later I had my hysterectomy. I believe it is very important to try the least invasive options first. Everyone is different and you never know what options will work until you try. I would still have tried all the options I did before having a hysterectomy. Mirena is less invasive than surgery. I wish you well. Take care!
BJhoney
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I'm with you on trying everything first before I have no other choice. I just couldn't do it yet knowing I haven't tried it all. I'm sorry the mirena didn't work for you. How are you doing after your hysterectomy?

Cara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-07-2016, 08:27 PM

I am doing well since my surgery in June 2015. It is so wonderful to be free! My body has adjusted well. I do still have my ovaries so I have not experienced any menopausal symptoms, yet. However, I do know what those symptoms are like because when I had the Mirena removed I had Lupron shots to prepare for surgery. Lupron shuts your ovaries down to put you in menopause. It stops the flow and helps shrink fibroids. That's a whole other story on the journey I took toward my hysterectomy. I feel my doctor gave me many wise choices. I am thankful for all he did to help me. I go this month for a check up for him to evaluate after a half a year. I think he will agree with me that I am doing well,too!

Best wishes to you! I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 02-07-2016, 11:10 PM

Ck92
Hi! I am doing okay . I have been having menstrual type cramps off and on today . Some spotting...I hear that is normal. I feel like my period is going to start...but it's not due for 14 days. Oh that means I am exactly mid cycle ...that makes sense. I guess this is a one day at a time thing for now!
Hugs
Lorene
Unread 02-08-2016, 07:38 PM

Ck92
How are you feeling?! I had a good day and a lot more energy than I've had in a while. Do you ever think you can feel your IUD ? I don't notice it and then all of a sudden I'm sure I can feel it!! So weird! Then it passes again. How are your cramps? Mine are fairly gone now except after dinner I feel really full and that seems to set off a round of cramps/gas pains. Sorry TMI. : ). If this lightens my periods it will be worth it !!
Hugs
Lorene
Unread 02-08-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenekm View Post
Ck92
How are you feeling?! I had a good day and a lot more energy than I've had in a while. Do you ever think you can feel your IUD ? I don't notice it and then all of a sudden I'm sure I can feel it!! So weird! Then it passes again. How are your cramps? Mine are fairly gone now except after dinner I feel really full and that seems to set off a round of cramps/gas pains. Sorry TMI. : ). If this lightens my periods it will be worth it !!
Hugs
Lorene
Lorene,

Hi! I'm doing great except for some major lower back pain. It really hurts and I'm sure it's from the iud pressing on something. My uterus is tipped back so it probably has something to do with it. It kind of makes me sick to think about. Lol.

Yes, sometimes I do think I feel it... It's weird. I'm still spotting randomly but it's nothing compared to what I usually experience.

Each day seems to bring something new. If this back pain doesn't go away, I'm not sure how long I'll be able to handle it. I have a pretty high pain tolerance but it starts to wear on my nerves after a while. Maybe the iud will move a little so it's not pressing on whatever it's pressing on now. It didn't hurt the first two days.

Well, here's to tomorrow! Lol! I hope to hear more good news from you and hopefully I'll have some to report myself.

Take care,
Cara
Unread 02-08-2016, 08:37 PM

Cara,
I'm so sorry about your lower back pain!! Maybe it's nerve pain and you could try a massage? I hope you figure something out! I still have spotting off and on too. It's brownish now and very very light. I still have some diaper rash from pads . I really want this to work! Let me know how your back is!
Hugs,
Lorene
Unread 02-09-2016, 12:39 PM

OK so I called the doctor this morning after crying in the bathroom at work. I never cry at work. I've been in constant back/hip pain, didn't sleep well, can't concentrate, etc. I'm sure the hormones aren't helping either. Doc said she wanted me right in to have an ultrasound. So after a very awkward conversation with my male boss, I went in.
Mirena is in the correct position, no perforations, just a retroverted uterus as I already knew. It's a relief and I feel stupid at the same time. I thought I had a high pain tolerance... Ugh I feel wimpy.
She prescribed me some anti inflammatory medication and said my uterus isn't happy. I'm supposed to give it more time to adjust.
So, I went back to work and will fill the script later.
Good news... I'm not spotting today and tomorrow is another day!
Unread 02-09-2016, 02:27 PM

Ck92,

I'm sorry you're having pain. I hope it gets better soon. At least you know everything is where it's supposed to be. Don't feel wimpy! Constant pain wears you down.

You mentioned possible adenomyosis - did the doctor think that might be an issue?

I'm sending positive thoughts and pray that the pain resolves.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register