Is sex safe with vaginal vault prolapse?! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is sex safe with vaginal vault prolapse?! Is sex safe with vaginal vault prolapse?!

Unread 08-05-2020, 06:18 AM
Is sex safe with vaginal vault prolapse?!

Hi ladies.. I've done a bunch of research after being told earlier this week that my cuff walls have fallen slightly since my surgery in February I believe the correct terminology is "vaginal vault prolapse". My doctor didn't seem concerned at all and told me to begin kegel exercises which both frustrates me (because it feels like a MUCH bigger deal to me after all I've been through), and encourages me that hopefully I won't need a THIRD surgery to repair this. I have begun kegels for the first time ever and am praying that I am doing them properly, but I wanted to ask.. have any of you lived with this and been able to enjoy sex still and perform everyday activities safely? Right now I am terrified to try to be intimate again because all my fears of my cuff tearing are back. I am a Mom of 3 small girls and need to feel good to take care of them and my sweet husband. I want to feel defeated off the bat, but that's how I have felt ALL YEAR. After all, this surgery was supposed to help me with all my problems not create new and possibly more dangerous ones. I am praying and trusting in the Lord for strength, healing, and good health.... and I will be diligent about these kegels. I guess I just need a little advice and assurance bc I am not getting that from my doctor/surgeon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-05-2020, 06:46 AM
Re: Is sex safe with vaginal vault prolapse?!

I've moved your question to our Pelvic Floor and Bladder Issues forum. Over on Post-Op women are recovering from surgery, and I'm thinking you'll get more support here where Sisters who live with or had prolapse repairs can offer their insight.

Do take into consideration the suggestion to see a uro-gyn and / or pelvic floor therapist per a reply to your Post-Op concern yesterday. If you think your doctor isn't concerned, you need to find one who'll listen to you, and to whom you can ask these sorts of questions.

Unread 08-05-2020, 10:34 PM

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's hard being a woman sometimes. I felt some of that defeat also. Trying so hard to be a good wife and yet feeling like my body wasn't cooperating. It's also hard when our Dr. doesn't understand the feelings we have as women. These things are really emotionally hard on us! I would do the kegels though and rest assured that your Dr. isn't concerned at this point. I would ask your Dr. though about sending you to pelvic floor therapy. The reason I say this is because I've had prolapse. I was told to do kegels. I had the hardest time telling if I was doing it right. They'll insert a probe that will send out little currents that will make the right muscles contract and then you'll say, "AHA" "That's where they are!" They'll also have you do safe core exercises that will strengthen your core. It's really a great thing. You could also get a second opinion. As far as sex goes only your Dr. could say if it's safe for you. If he didn't seem concerned then it's probably OK. I had undiagnosed prolapse for several years and had sex with no issues. But even though it wasn't dangerous it just didn't feel right. Things started feeling very lax there and it caused me and my husband problems with sex. I've had prolapse surgeries twice about 12 years apart. I asked my Dr. this last time what I could do that would keep me from having to have more prolapse surgery. He said the biggest thing you can do is to not lift heavy things. So now I avoid lifting anything like a case of water or a heavy chair. I do hope you find answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2020, 05:03 AM

This brings me so much comfort and makes me not feel so alone.. although I am sorry you have had to go through all you have gone through. I actually found a pelvic floor therapy place and have set up my appointment!! I am going to ask my doctor for a referral Monday when I get my hormone panel results back. This has been so difficult. As far as the lifting.. I wish I would have known. My doctor cleared me at 11 weeks post op for EVERYTHING. Of course I have taken it slower than I would have because things have been hard for me.. I hadn't even begun working out again. But our kids weigh 20-50 lbs and I have lifted them into shopping carts, the car etc. When they say you are cleared I assumed that I could do all pre surgery type things.. I am hopeful about the PFT and will continue in prayer. Thank you so much for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDot*Mocha View Post
I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's hard being a woman sometimes. I felt some of that defeat also. Trying so hard to be a good wife and yet feeling like my body wasn't cooperating. It's also hard when our Dr. doesn't understand the feelings we have as women. These things are really emotionally hard on us! I would do the kegels though and rest assured that your Dr. isn't concerned at this point. I would ask your Dr. though about sending you to pelvic floor therapy. The reason I say this is because I've had prolapse. I was told to do kegels. I had the hardest time telling if I was doing it right. They'll insert a probe that will send out little currents that will make the right muscles contract and then you'll say, "AHA" "That's where they are!" They'll also have you do safe core exercises that will strengthen your core. It's really a great thing. You could also get a second opinion. As far as sex goes only your Dr. could say if it's safe for you. If he didn't seem concerned then it's probably OK. I had undiagnosed prolapse for several years and had sex with no issues. But even though it wasn't dangerous it just didn't feel right. Things started feeling very lax there and it caused me and my husband problems with sex. I've had prolapse surgeries twice about 12 years apart. I asked my Dr. this last time what I could do that would keep me from having to have more prolapse surgery. He said the biggest thing you can do is to not lift heavy things. So now I avoid lifting anything like a case of water or a heavy chair. I do hope you find answers.
Unread 08-06-2020, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwynne91 View Post
This brings me so much comfort and makes me not feel so alone.. although I am sorry you have had to go through all you have gone through. I actually found a pelvic floor therapy place and have set up my appointment!! I am going to ask my doctor for a referral Monday when I get my hormone panel results back. This has been so difficult. As far as the lifting.. I wish I would have known. My doctor cleared me at 11 weeks post op for EVERYTHING. Of course I have taken it slower than I would have because things have been hard for me.. I hadn't even begun working out again. But our kids weigh 20-50 lbs and I have lifted them into shopping carts, the car etc. When they say you are cleared I assumed that I could do all pre surgery type things.. I am hopeful about the PFT and will continue in prayer. Thank you so much for your reply!
Only your Dr. could say if it's unsafe to lift your children. Each situation is so different. Being that I've had 2 sets of prolapse surgery 12 years apart is why my Dr. said it's best for me not to lift heavy things. I had rectal, vaginal, and bladder prolapse twice. Your situation might be very mild and with no history of prolapse your recommendation might be different. If it's very mild the physical therapy might fix you right up! I'm glad you got an appointment!
Unread 08-07-2020, 06:23 AM

Thank you!! I am not sure if the therapy will resolve my issues but I am prayerful that it will at least prevent anything from getting worse ... as far as lifting, I was just informed that my spleen is enlarged and none of my labwork or CT scan indicated why so I am taking it easy regardless until I can get in to my doctor later this month

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaDot*Mocha View Post
Only your Dr. could say if it's unsafe to lift your children. Each situation is so different. Being that I've had 2 sets of prolapse surgery 12 years apart is why my Dr. said it's best for me not to lift heavy things. I had rectal, vaginal, and bladder prolapse twice. Your situation might be very mild and with no history of prolapse your recommendation might be different. If it's very mild the physical therapy might fix you right up! I'm glad you got an appointment!
Unread 09-09-2020, 04:32 PM

Hi! Just wondering how you are doing and if you have started therapy yet and seen improvement?
Unread 09-10-2020, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetictrisha View Post
Hi! Just wondering how you are doing and if you have started therapy yet and seen improvement?
Aww, thank you for asking about me! I am halfway through 12 sessions for pelvic floor.. however my therapist has me trying to strengthen core, legs, back, arms .. basically every stretched out ligament. Between being pregnant for 3 years straight and then 3 abdominal surgeries (double salpingectomy, hysterectomy, emergency vaginal cuff repair) I have like no muscle left.

I already do feel improvements in my pelvic floor and I do highly recommend doing this to anyone with difficulties!!!

The only thing I can't seem to stop is reoccurring yeast infections ... I have just finished a 14 day long antifungal and a 10 day long antibiotic and I have taken probiotics now for a month..
It is so strange and I never had these issues before surgery... I don't even have regular symptoms (discharge and stuff) I just have a burning in my stomach... if it doesn't go away soon I am going to consult my general practitioner! Thanks for checking on me and I hope you are all well!
Unread 09-10-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwynne91 View Post
Aww, thank you for asking about me! I am halfway through 12 sessions for pelvic floor.. however my therapist has me trying to strengthen core, legs, back, arms .. basically every stretched out ligament. Between being pregnant for 3 years straight and then 3 abdominal surgeries (double salpingectomy, hysterectomy, emergency vaginal cuff repair) I have like no muscle left.

I already do feel improvements in my pelvic floor and I do highly recommend doing this to anyone with difficulties!!!

The only thing I can't seem to stop is reoccurring yeast infections ... I have just finished a 14 day long antifungal and a 10 day long antibiotic and I have taken probiotics now for a month..
It is so strange and I never had these issues before surgery... I don't even have regular symptoms (discharge and stuff) I just have a burning in my stomach... if it doesn't go away soon I am going to consult my general practitioner! Thanks for checking on me and I hope you are all well!
Hey glad to hear you are doing well! I am starting pt for an anterior/urethra prolapse next week so I’m glad to hear that it really does help!!! I was just wondering how you were and if things had improved for you because I have not heard of pt for vault prolapse before but I guess because you’re wasn’t that bad? Yeast infections are the worst aren’t they? I am 11 weeks out from tvh and bladder tack and rectocele repair and I have had constant infections since. I don’t have any itching just yeasty discharge so I am hoping probiotics help. I think everyone that has had a hysterectomy worries about vault prolapse at some point or other so I was interested in how you were fairing with yours and I’m glad you are doing good!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register