5 weeks post hysterectomy - Beyond Frustrated | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks post hysterectomy - Beyond Frustrated 5 weeks post hysterectomy - Beyond Frustrated

Unread 09-14-2021, 11:10 AM
5 weeks post hysterectomy - Beyond Frustrated

Hello,

Wondering if anyone else is feeling this in their recovery.
I have debated posting this because so many others have it worse than I do (and I feel whiny) but this is really taking a toll on my mental health. I am usually a positive person so I apologize for any negativity in this post.

Had LAVH, ovaries, tubes and cervix removed. Also anterior repair, perineoplasty and vault suspension. My uterus was prolapsed, 3x normal size with multiple fibroids and ultrasound showed solid masses on one ovary. Post op pathology showed "healthy ovaries" for which I am grateful but makes me think I should have left them in. I really thought about surgery and felt it was the best option as I was in daily pain that was affecting my quality of life.
Now..I feel I have traded one type of daily pain for another. I know that healing is a long process but I truly thought I should see some improvement by now.
I hurt all the time, different day different type of pain. I am questioning my decision and whether I will ever feel better. I do not feel this is hormonal as I have been through menopause and am used to identifying and dealing with those symptoms. My family has been very supportive but I am tired of burdening them with my pain and fears.I am afraid that I will never feel better and that I made a huge mistake. Obviously I cannot go back in time.
I am very happy for all those that are doing so well after their surgeries but wonder why I am not. I am following my surgeons orders and have not done anything to compromise my recovery. I went through major surgery and radiation 5 years ago for non-gynecological cancer and recovery was a breeze compared to this.
I did not post this in my recovery group discussion because I am looking for a larger response.Thanks for taking the time to read this, I welcome any advice or shared experiences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2021, 11:41 AM
Re: 5 weeks post op - Beyond Frustrated

I don’t have any useful advice other than we all heal at different speeds and it’s still relatively early in the healing process. You obviously did a lot of thinking about it and I’m sure in the long run, your decision will end up being the right one. But you know that and it likely doesn’t help right now.

So I really just replied to give you a virtual hug and say I hope you turn a corner soon x
Unread 09-14-2021, 12:37 PM

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocky View Post
Thank you!
HI Brocky,

I’m so sorry you are feeling so frustrated with your recovery. I have also had moments of questioning my decision for the surgery. Like you mentioned it sometimes feels like trading one type of pain for another.

Also, there is no minimizing the impact of this type of surgery on mental health in addition to physical health. For me I’ve experienced it as a form of trauma and there is a lot of grief and loss associated with it. It is really difficult to process when you are still experiencing it.

As well intended as friends and family can be, unless they have experienced this surgery first hand, there is no way for them to really understand what we are experiencing.

When I get frustrated I try to remind myself that recovery is a long-term process ….this is sometimes easier said than done.

Take good care and know you are not alone! Wishing you moments of healing, comfort and relief.
Unread 09-14-2021, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eegraves View Post
HI Brocky,

I’m so sorry you are feeling so frustrated with your recovery. I have also had moments of questioning my decision for the surgery. Like you mentioned it sometimes feels like trading one type of pain for another.

Also, there is no minimizing the impact of this type of surgery on mental health in addition to physical health. For me I’ve experienced it as a form of trauma and there is a lot of grief and loss associated with it. It is really difficult to process when you are still experiencing it.

As well intended as friends and family can be, unless they have experienced this surgery first hand, there is no way for them to really understand what we are experiencing.

When I get frustrated I try to remind myself that recovery is a long-term process ….this is sometimes easier said than done.

Take good care and know you are not alone! Wishing you moments of healing, comfort and relief.
Thank you so much for reaching out, I appreciate your perspective. You are right, it is a form of truma!
Unread 09-14-2021, 01:43 PM

I'm reading what you had done, and it's more than most. I had less done than most (kept cervix) but at 5 weeks, I wasn't anywhere near pain-free, normal, healed... however you want to look at it. I was still taking ibuprofen for swelling and acetaminophen if I needed it, still having backache, still doing nothing but walking - and I was cleared at 4 weeks.

I agree with Eegraves that unless you've had this surgery (or other major surgery which takes weeks to months in recovery), people can't fully understand. That goes for US, too. We can read, we can hear, we can talk to others, but until you've been through it, it's an unknown. When you're on the near-side of surgery, say within 2 months or less, yes... it's taking for-flippin'-ever to heal. I didn't fully buy into what I read here - that full recovery can take 4, 6 months or longer - until I had several more months behind me. Last vestiges of "overdoing it" pain and swelling at 5 months, last fatigue wall at 7 months, nerve pain finally gone at 10-1/2 months. Did I mention that I kept my cervix? That I was cleared at 4 weeks? That I had "minimally invasive" surgery? That I had no complications or setbacks? It's a long process when things go routinely, I daresay longer than most of us imagined it would be. It wasn't like being 2 weeks post-op that entire 10-1/'2 months, but things would come back and visit and/or linger. That's why this site exists - to vent, get support, and know we're not alone.

One of our articles (How Long Will the Pain Last After Hysterectomy?) mentions Many of our members say that it takes six months in order to experience even one day that you don’t think about your hysterectomy. If you are experiencing pain and discomfort, it’s no wonder that you can’t stop thinking about it! Our articles are compiled from the collective experiences of women through 20+ years. That particular article was written in 2003, and it was true when I had my surgery 5 years ago, and still is true.

I'm hoping you'll find some nugget in my rambling that you can pick up on. If your mental state is getting the better of you, please do talk to your doctor or seek help from a therapist. This can be very difficult to navigate.

Unread 09-14-2021, 01:57 PM

Thank you Cussette, I find your post to be very reassuring and always read your other posts as well. You are a gift to this site
Unread 09-14-2021, 03:29 PM
Re: 5 weeks post hysterectomy - Beyond Frustrated

I too have been amazed at how hard this is. I had TAH and severe endo removed including from my bowel. You have had a lot of work done.

We are all very different and have different backgrounds, reasons for surgery and thoughts around it, as well as bodies healing at different rates with various types of surgeries.

I’m almost at 9 weeks, been advised to cut back my walking to 30 mins, not to start on any yoga yet, vagina still sore, occasional stabbing pains, tight swelly belly… I’m not even back at work yet and can take my day as slow as I need to. It’s only this week that my brain feels like it is properly waking up.

I have noticed I am really focusing on all the continuing pains that are preventing me ‘getting back to normal’. I have also noticed that my worrying can contribute to my husband’s tendency to depression… so I am making a concerted effort to focus on the small improvements. I try to notice these each week - interestingly I tend to notice them on a Monday! For example, for me, at 5 weeks, my belly was more solid than at 2 weeks so I was more confident moving around.

I have come into this with a background of anxiety and occasional mild depression so I’m keeping myself well away from going down that rabbit hole…

Underneath it all, I am so grateful I have had this operation and I know I made the decision for the right reasons. I hold onto that when it feels like the pains are never going to end - because they will. For you as well xx

I hope this helps you know you are far from alone xx
Unread 09-14-2021, 05:31 PM

Sending you lots of positive energy and good wishes.

Have you tried Turmeric pills on a daily basis? It is a miracle, to me and so many others. Be sure to get turmeric with high amount of the cucurmin and black pepper. I know how great it works, because just the 2 weeks now before my surgery, I had to STOP taking it and all other vitamins-supplements. Within 4 days, I was like "What the?" So much pain. All my joints, bad head ache, tight muscles and WOW could I feel the pain in abdomen from my huge uterus and fibroids. I cannot WAIT to get back on it. Total game changer for any inflammation.

Best Wishes
Unread 09-14-2021, 06:44 PM

Hi Florrie,

Thank you for sharing with me, it really helps to know I am not the only one. I am going to find at least one positive a day to focus on...like how fortunate to have this website with all the wonderful women on it! I would really be lost otherwise. I do not want to go down the depression rabbit hole either!
Best Wishes

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register