TAH Instructions from doctor vs. here | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Instructions from doctor vs. here Instructions from doctor vs. here

Unread 09-14-2021, 01:28 PM
Instructions from doctor vs. here

I was wondering if anyone else is finding out that the surgeon and the doctors didn't tell you what to expect? For instance I didn't know I had stitches that could come thru the incision and to pull them and snip the end so they will go back under the skin so they can dissolve.
I've learned more on this form than what the professionals told me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2021, 01:49 PM
Re: Instructions

The vast majority of doctors have never had a hysterectomy . Still, the first and foremost authority for recovery is your doctor, the staff and your hospital. They can listen to their patients and share collective wisdom, but since recoveries run the gamut of experiences, it would take a dedicated website to cover it all. A website sorta like HysterSisters.

Unread 09-14-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D harkrider View Post
I was wondering if anyone else is finding out that the surgeon and the doctors didn't tell you what to expect? For instance I didn't know I had stitches that could come thru the incision and to pull them and snip the end so they will go back under the skin so they can dissolve.
I've learned more on this form than what the professionals told me.
I completely agree! I have learned more on this site, then from the very basic instructions I got from the surgeon.
Can you tell me about the stitches thing? I have 2 poking out stitches on one incision and the doctor never mentioned anything at my 2 week post op. He said I didn’t need to worry about the incisions but now these 2 poking out stitches are irritating my skin as they brush up on my clothes.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2021, 05:58 PM
Re: Instructions from doctor vs. here

Doctors never tell you what to expect, just important things to watch out for in discharge papers.

Have you ever heard from a car sales man that you get into an accident or the amount of annual maintenance you face? I see it the same way
Unread 09-14-2021, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhidalgo View Post
I completely agree! I have learned more on this site, then from the very basic instructions I got from the surgeon.
Can you tell me about the stitches thing? I have 2 poking out stitches on one incision and the doctor never mentioned anything at my 2 week post op. He said I didn’t need to worry about the incisions but now these 2 poking out stitches are irritating my skin as they brush up on my clothes.

Thanks!
I was told to pull them up and snip it as short as u can so they will receed back under the skin to dissolve.I got the info from my surgeons nurse today. I just did it so we will see what happens. Hope that helps.
Unread 09-14-2021, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPMS View Post
Doctors never tell you what to expect, just important things to watch out for in discharge papers.

Have you ever heard from a car sales man that you get into an accident or the amount of annual maintenance you face? I see it the same way
I had open heart surgery in 2020 and when I went home I knew what to expect. This a new experience for me, not knowing what could happen.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register