Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 - Page 37 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007 Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Unread 01-04-2008, 12:51 AM
Back to Work

Hi everyone! I can't sleep tonight?????So to pass the time I am drinking warm milk and visiting this site. Today I went back to work after 3 1/2 weeks of recovery. I had a TAH/BSO (EVERYTHING removed). I was physically tired throughout the day.I teach high school so was on my feet most of the day. My back hurt a bit.
My recovery has been easy. I have not had any complications. I get twinges now and then and BM's still hurt a bit. I don't have any bleeding/spotting (yet??) I am 54, and was already going through menopause. The night sweats and hot flashes were just awful. I have had them for over 1 1/2 years now. My sister had them for 6 months ONLY--go figure???? I tried twice not using HRT but returned to it when the hot flashes got unbearable. I chose estrogen replacement for now.(ovaries were removed)
I feel truly blessed not to have had any complications like so many others have shared. I think it helped that I went in to a sort of training before the surgery. Several months before the surgery date I started wearing ankle weights to strengthen my legs, jogging a bit more than usual, and taking vitamins. It may have paid off.
What was the website address for the operation video?? I missed that mesage? I tell people that I now have over 200 stiches inside of me and that gets their attention. I need say no more--they are all more than eager to help me.
I was just married this past June. Still on my honeymoon(without the SEX!!LOL)
Take care of yourselves. This too shall pass and will soon be behind us all. Remember days ONE and TWO?? That puts things in perpective for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2008, 07:49 AM
Hysterectomy dates Dec 10-Dec 17,2007

Hello,

I am about three weeks out, and I guess I must be going through the "dissovling stiches thing." I am getting weird pains (like, is that the vaginal cut hurting, the uterus cut hurting, or, not be gross, but a fart being born?). When I get up, I feel a little light-headed too. I talked with my doc's PA (he is out of town for eternity), and she said this was all part of the normal inflammatory process, which amps up when the stiches start to dissovle.

I couldn't sleep last night for love or money, and the gas keeps forming like a pot of simmering stew. I am really glad I am single while I have that, as I would divorce myself otherwise. Does anybody else have this still? I have a inflammatory disorder, and I wonder if maybe this is all tied in with my "other" condition.
Unread 01-04-2008, 08:00 AM

Hi everyone
just reading the posts on this thread is entertaining. think laughing is good exercise for tattered stomach muscles- now they are a bit stronger.

I can't believe you're back at work already Star..I'm a primary teacher, and have been told 8 weeks minimum, and preferably 12.

I think my recovery has been pretty smooth compared to many, but the though of going back into the fray is a bit scary to say the least.
I hope you continue to stay well..

jg, I'm with you on the single thing...I feel a bit guilty laughing at all the posts on the sex issue.although I do have a lovely ex-partner, whom I call my Ian fairy, because he comes round and washes up etc...hoping he'll turn up and get rid of the Christmas tree today..lol.

On the serious side, it was one of the things that most concerned me, sex drive and all that..might sound a bit shallow in the midst of all this, but it did.

I've actually been asked on a date this weekend, and despite telling him that a gentle stroll around the park is about all I can manage, he's still interested. Not sure what to do, and feel a bit teenagery about it.

I'm still in sweat bottoms and trainers, and not really myself..I might just burst into tears on him, randomly, or need to sit down like an 80 year old. On the other hand if he likes me like this, he will have passed the nice guy test, don't you think? Certainly taking my mind off my swollen belly.lol

Must be feeling better if I'm contemplating this. Are you allowed to go on a date, if you're signed off work..lol. Come on ladies, have a vote - who would go, and who would be sensible and wait?

Meanwhile back in the real world..so pleased to hear your good news TinyL- are you a Brit in Australia?

Love to all
x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-04-2008, 09:14 AM
For JGTalk

I had TAH on 12/14 and am struggling with both, the insomnia and the gas situation that you describe...Anybody else???
Unread 01-04-2008, 09:30 AM

Well... I'm going to work today. Just for 4 hours. I feel pretty ready - it's just this minor infection thing that is getting me down. I am itching like crazy! I teach 2 pottery classes on Monday. I'll have to get someone to help me lift clay and stuff around.

Saw my Dr yesterday. Pathology revealed adenomyosis - just like we expected. Everything else looks great. Dr said I can resume normal activities except sex and not to lift more than 20lbs. I see him in 3 weeks again.

I struggle with a little insomnia myself Tigersfan but I always have. I have a script for ativan and I'll take half of one every once in a while to help me sleep. Sometimes I take Rescue Remedy - it's a Bach flower remedy.

I do have to be very careful of what I eat and to make sure I chew slowly. Gas can be painful.

Glad you are doing so well Ellie. Have fun on your date!

Wisconsin Gals - I moved there my senior year in high school, went to college there (Lacrosse and Milw) and then several more years in Milw until I moved to CO in 94. I miss WI deeply but not the cold. We will get cold here in CO but it's a different animal than WI!
Unread 01-04-2008, 09:54 AM

Week 4 : I am a little slow signing up! My tah-bso was Dec. 10th. I had uterine cancer which I am happy to say the pathology reports show all the cancer out. No follow up radiation..just every 6 months CAT scans and check-ups. I am a 56 year old post menopausal woman (6 years ago) with steady bleeding for 2 months. I had a lot of life changes in June & I thought it was the excitement. By September I had an appoinment with my family doctor & then a gynecologist. Things moved very fast after that. Day 1 was a bit of a blur, I had a patient control morphine which I used for 2 days, then switched to Tylenol 3. I had a catheter for 2 days as well which was nice because I didn't have to get up to the bathroom at night...I brought bottles of water with me and drank a lot. Day 2: I was up and walking the halls dragging all my equipment behind me. I was also given stool softeners. Day 3:I was awake during the night vomiting 2x. Ouch!! I was given Gravol. The nurse said it was the "gas" pains starting. I stepped up the walking. I was unable to sleep more than 15 minutes at a time. Day 4: I went home (no BM, but "good" bowel sounds ?) Felt like I was punch in the stomach, but otherwise very well. There is no place like home. I was very pampered by family. Day 5 Still not sleeping, but success in the BM department. That felt much better. Starting to eat small but balanced meals. Day 6: Huge crying jag. By noon, I knew something was wrong. I had only slept 6 hours in 48 hours. Called my doctor. Turns out Tylenol 3 (codiene & caffiene) were not good for me. Switched to regular Tylenol and Ibuprophine. With the help of Gravol slept that night for 7 solid hours!!!Day 7: feeling much better, still difficult to sit at the table for meals, so my recliner became my comand center. I even went to the grocery store (someone else drove). That was very exhausting. Slept 2 hours that afternoon. Week 3: Have settled into a routine of activity& rest. Day 8 Went to surgeons to have stitches removed. He was very please with how well I was. Day 12 (Friday) Went back to surgeon for pathology report. Very nervous. Good news!!! Cancer is all out. Went out for clam chowder to celebrate...3 hour nap when we came home! Week 4: So here I am four weeks later and I am beginning to have lots of pinching pain inside, which was what brought me to this website. I see quite a few women are feeling the same thing.
In all, the surgery & pain etc. were not as bad as I thought it would be. My doctor said I had a good attitude going in. My thought is: I am 57 years old, I am post-menopausal, I have cancer...I am not that emotionally attached to my reproductive organs. My heart goes out to you my sisters. a hysterectomy is definately life changing, especially to you younger women who are thrown into menopase headlong. Keep smiling, laughing still hurts!!
CanadianRainbow
Unread 01-04-2008, 09:55 AM

ellie...go girl...It will probably lift your spirits. Any guy who is willing to still go knowing you aren't up to par. I haven't had the weepy thing, though..I kept my ovaries and have only had minor upsets hormonely so far. Movies or out for ice cream (soft seating is best) sounds great. I'm going stir crazy!!

JGgirl...I have still been having the gas only after dinner and before some bms. It seems when I have my fiber, that wains a little. I don't understand the dinner thing though. It's usually after something tomatoee. Never had problems with that b4. The gas has been embarrassing at times, like when my dd14 has friends over...oops...can't hold it.

As far as the sex thing..I've been feeling a bit more sexual lately. I stopped taking an antidepressant I was on b4 surgery for temperature regulation..so that has some to do with it, but I was also reading in the progress notes about the hormones kinda building up just after surgery. I have been feeling frisky...but can't do anything about it. Ugh. I know most of you are having the hubby problem. All I really want right now is for mine to hold me...and hold me.

Thanx for listening and being there for me sisters...don't know how I'd cope otherwise.
Unread 01-04-2008, 11:13 AM

Thanks for answering my questions ladies. Yes, I get worse after I eat.

Ellie, girl ,GO ON THE DATE.... repeat..... GO ON THE DATE!!!

If a guy likes you when you are sick, he REALLY likes you. If anybody from work sees you, tell them he took you out to get some groceries (because you can't lift and all) and that you went to (fill in place where you were spotted) because you have to walk so much everyday and he didn't want you to have to do it alone. They will all say "Oh, that is so sweet...."

The way I see it, Mr. Date is an emotional medicine sent from heaven, and it would be wrong to refuse the gift! HAVE FUN
Unread 01-04-2008, 01:31 PM
Recovery Progress Reports for Hysterectomy Dates Dec 10 - Dec 17, 2007

Lenayogini - I'm one of the Wisconsinnites and I totally understand why you DON'T miss the Wisconsin winters! It's nice to hear you still have a soft spot for WI though. It's supposed to be around 40 degrees though this weekend - yeah! I might just be able to get outside for a walk.

CanadianRainbow - Welcome! So very happy for you that you are now cancer free. It sounds like you've had a very crazy past few months. A scary time. I was pre-cancerous and a-typical in many of my test results - but the final pathology tests were all cancer free. Praise the Lord!

Ellie 64 - I'm in total agreement with everyone - GO ON THE DATE! The guy sounds like a good one so far. And if you do go on the date - we want to hear all about it! Just take care of yourself and make sure he respects your needs.

Jgtalk - I followed your advice and went and got my hair done today. It felt so good to get rid of the gray! Went grocery shopping afterward, too, so now I'm paying the piper...I'll need to retire to the couch for the rest of the day.

Hope you all are feeling better today!
Unread 01-04-2008, 01:50 PM

Ellie 64---Please....GO ON THAT DATE!!! But then, be sure to tell us all how it went!!!
And, I am a dual citizen--born in the USA (Rochester, NY--land of snow and cold), married to an Australian five years ago ---immigrated to Sydney after marriage and now have Australian citizenship too. My sons are 24 and 22 and they live in Rochester---so does my sister and both parents...I'm 49 so 2008 will bring in the big "50" without my uterus--guess that would be the best birthday present of all in a way---anyways, that's why I don't have any good/lifelong friends here or family ---just DH---who really tries...to make up for my bouts of loneliness. Have a great job though that I love, so that helps so much.

All of you girls going back to work--WOW--good on you---I was supposed to go back next week (after )four weeks) but I've decided that given my job is a bit stressful and I'm on a plane a lot too, I am going to wait till I get my six week check and the all clear from my surgeon. I may never have this chance again to really heal properly (still having spotting, major gas (not good when you are in a meeting with senior people and members of the public--LOL), and internal pains every now and then). Many people are surprised I'm taking the full time off that I can since I am such an intense workaholic, but given it is a new year, I've decided the new resolution should be to stop and smell the roses a bit more and try to be a bit more balanced. See what happens when you don't have a lot of friends or family around???? You tend to use work as your sole source of fulfillment---gotta change that a bit this year!!!

Your little blurbs really give me something to look forward to when I get up over here and most of you are already finished with your day---We are about 16 hours ahead of east coast time----

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register