Scheduled LAVH Hysterectomy this friday 7/31 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy this friday 7/31 Hysterectomy this friday 7/31

Unread 07-28-2015, 01:02 PM
Hysterectomy this friday 7/31

Hello Hyster Sisters,
I am new today and thank you for having this forum since I really have no one other than my Doc to ask questions. Total Lap Hys this Friday - what will I feel like afterward? I hear recovery is quick? Also, I am nervous because some folks are telling me that this type (the Lapro Total Hys) can go easily go wrong. Advice please and thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2015, 01:35 PM
Re: surgery this friday

Uh, define "quick." "Quick" is relative when it comes to hysterectomies. The recovery from laparoscopic surgery is usually shorter than after abdominal surgery, but what this actually means is that it's maybe about 4 weeks rather than 6-8.

TLH's are pretty common. I don't think anything is more likely to go wrong than with any other technique. But you *do* need to give yourself time to rest and heal afterwards.
Unread 07-28-2015, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Uh, define "quick." "Quick" is relative when it comes to hysterectomies. The recovery from laparoscopic surgery is usually shorter than after abdominal surgery, but what this actually means is that it's maybe about 4 weeks rather than 6-8.

TLH's are pretty common. I don't think anything is more likely to go wrong than with any other technique. But you *do* need to give yourself time to rest and heal afterwards.
The risk is "slightly" higher of complications than open, but not enough to cause any worry. I don't know the exact stats, but it's like going from 1% to 2%. No biggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2015, 01:51 PM

Once I was up and moving around after my surgery I felt like I had done far too many abdominal crunches. And my ribcage felt stuffed. For the first week I was moving slow and gentle. I needed to remind myself that I had major surgery. Most of the work is inside so like any surgery it is important to follow post-op insructions and take time to heal. I was told with my surgery there is always the chance of conversion. In my case my uterus was massive and needed to be cut. So the estimated surgery time of 1.5 hours ended up being longer. I hope your surgery goes as planned and that you have a uneventful recovery
Unread 07-28-2015, 03:26 PM

Hello and welcome, Holly_Sue,

All I can add to the wonderful advice you've already been given, is the word "quick" also concerns me a bit...it is open to interpretation. Recovery time has so man different variables to consider: our age, overall health, previous and existing health conditions, medications, exercise level, skill of the surgeon, weight....PHEW...just to name a few.

We can't rush recovery no matter how hard we try - I learned that the hard way - ouch!

Here is a link to an article I think is interesting about this topic:

Recovery Expectations VS Reality

Hugs and have an uneventful surgery and a good, safe recovery.

Marcia
Unread 07-28-2015, 06:34 PM

hi sister. I'm new on the block too. And my procedure is also this friday so I guess we are in this together. In my family we send positive energy and healing light. I'll be sending it your way.
Unread 07-29-2015, 08:23 AM

Thank you all so much, you truly are sisters! Little Wing - let's keep in touch and I wish you all the best as well. I feel so much better just finding all you ladies and listening. Thank You!!!!!! How long does the surgery actually take?
Unread 07-29-2015, 01:46 PM
Re: Hysterectomy this friday 7/31

Surgery length really depends on so many variables. My pre-op nurse wouldn't tell me any thing specific, but she did tell me the surgery room
Was reserved for 2 hours by my doctor. Surgery time can be anywhere from one hour to many...depends on the type, skill of doctor, conditions uncovered...so too hard to guess.

But this is the key- I hope you all have uneventful and safe surgeries!

You can all chat on your own Post Op Recoveries Thread as soon as you all are up to it. You will get a link from
Princess Bea Well so you can join in after surgery.

Hugs and best wishes to all.
Unread 07-29-2015, 02:05 PM
Re: Hysterectomy this friday 7/31

Thank you again. Besides the TLH they found a cyst on my ovary last week via CT scan. So, Doc says he is going to "look around" while he is in there and remove the cyst. Makes me nervous, but everything does lately. The waiting is the worst!
Unread 07-29-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holly_sue View Post
Thank you again. Besides the TLH they found a cyst on my ovary last week via CT scan. So, Doc says he is going to "look around" while he is in there and remove the cyst. Makes me nervous, but everything does lately. The waiting is the worst!
Oh I had a cyst too - so the doctors told me the same thing. Better safe than sorry is the motto. Don't let that cause you extra worry. Cysts are fairly common and are usually removed during the surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register