Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Community - HysterSisters > Monthly Poll (and occasional Contest!)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
View Poll Results: If you had a hysterectomy, did you keep your ovaries?
Yes, I kept my ovaries. 2,500 47.55%
Yes, I kept ONE ovary. 592 11.26%
Yes, I kept one/both ovaries but they were removed during a later surgery. 78 1.48%
No, both ovaries were removed during my hysterectomy. 2,088 39.71%
Voters: 5258. You may not vote on this poll

Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

Unread 01-06-2009, 02:24 PM
Wink - Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries? Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

I kept my ovaries because I am only 30yrs old and a long way off from menopause and did not want to take hormones. Hormones have also been shown to increase your chances of certain types of cancer and that is a risk I do not wish to take!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2009, 02:55 PM
Post-Op members only: Did you keep your ovaries?

I am 51 and had an emergency hysterectomy 10 days before my scheduled hysterectomy due to a large fibroid that began bleeding and wouldn't stop. I wanted to save my ovaries since haven't hit menopause yet and no fear of ovarian cancer. They were able to save one, but the other one was adhered to other organs and too hard to make due. I was glad to keep one so I can still produce some estrogen. But my doctor put me on a bit of estrogen after a couple of weeks after surgery to curtail mood swings and anxiety that i have had at times until my ovary kicks in. Sometimes it takes a while for it to remember what to do. I probably don't need it now and think about going off of it. But it really helps with vaginal opening dryness, I could just use the estrogen cream so we will see. I was having night sweats after surgery a bit for a couple of months but now 3 months post op no night sweats. It is alot of trial and error. Take care.
Unread 01-06-2009, 03:51 PM

yes..I kept both ovaries....

tho...I did make it clear to the doctor that if they didn't look right that she was to take them out.

"I'm only doing this once...so you'd better take whatever needs taking while you're in there!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-06-2009, 04:40 PM

You are lucky. I also had my left ovary attatched to my large intestine. I chose to have both ovaries removed, I am 44 y/o. I'm nearly 4 weeks post-op and no signs of menopause. Hopefully I will not experiece the symptoms. I had really bad fibroids, previous abdominal surguries with alot of adhesions, as well as endometriosis. Thank God my doctor is a fine surgeon and did a great job with my surgery.
I'm glad all went well with you!
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:14 PM

I lost my right overay during my hys and as we speak my dr is schedluing surgery to remove the other one. I have a cyst that is not responding to any treatment and after 6 monthes he says there is no other choice.
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:26 PM

Had both ovaries removed with my TAH - I had discussed the options with both my gyno and my brother-in-law that is a family practioner. We all agreeed that is was in my best interest to have everything removed with my family history of cancers. I also decided with the help of my doctors that I try going without HRT unless I feel I need it. I am 45 and 8 weeks after surgery I am doing pretty good without the hormones. I do have a few hot flashes, but I was having them pre surgery as well so it isn't something I can't live with. Mood swings are an occasional problem, but not often at all. The thing I found most helpful was all the wonderful people and information I found here. My hubby has been really understanding after reading the Mister sister info I printed for him. I honestly feel better today than I have felt for the past few years.
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:27 PM

Yes I kept my ovaries and I hope that I don't develop any more painful cysts on them. I had to my hysterectomy because of fibroid tumors and now I am still hurting a little from the surgery but thank GOD that my problems are over now.
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Had both removed

Had both ovaries removed with my TAH - I had discussed the options with both my gyno and my brother-in-law that is a family practioner. We all agreeed that is was in my best interest to have everything removed with my family history of cancers. I also decided with the help of my doctors that I try going without HRT unless I feel I need it. I am 45 and 8 weeks after surgery I am doing pretty good without the hormones. I do have a few hot flashes, but I was having them pre surgery as well so it isn't something I can't live with. Mood swings are an occasional problem, but not often at all. The thing I found most helpful was all the wonderful people and information I found here. My hubby has been really understanding after reading the Mister sister info I printed for him. I honestly feel better today than I have felt for the past few years.
Unread 01-06-2009, 08:14 PM

I kept both ovaries since I have about 3 years or so before menopause and have a family history of heart and bone health concerns, but not ovarian or colon concerns! One had a large but benine cyst. I hope it stays healthy now!
Unread 01-06-2009, 08:32 PM

Yes, I kept both of mine since there was no problems with them. It's been 3 weeks since my LPH and I feel free!!!!!!!!!!!! And friends are totally jealous!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register