Average Hospital Stay? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Average Hospital Stay? Average Hospital Stay?

Unread 03-31-2008, 12:30 AM
Average Hospital Stay?

Hello, all!

I'm new to the boards and scheduled for a Total Abdominal Hys. on April 29th. When I called my Doctor's office to question the amount of time I could expect to be in the hospital (obviously considering there are no complications), I was a bit surprised to hear this:

I will check in at 10:00am on the 29th. Surgery is scheduled for noon. I should be released the next morning.

Wow. I have the best insurance money can buy and was pretty shocked about this 'get 'em in, get 'em out' type of attitude.

In 2000, I had a large ovarian tumor removed (it was benign), and I spent 5 nights in the hospital. The Dr. said she will use the same scar and the recovery experience may be very much the same.

My husband is a physician and tells me that they want you to get home asap as many hospitals carry lots of diseases and they are not safe. Soooo, I guess I'm just torn between this feeling of how much I pay for insurance, being safe at home, and managing the pain...

Any comments/thoughts/laughter/etc. would be welcomed.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 04:00 AM
Average Hospital Stay?

wow, I am having a TAH on 5t and have been asked to be prepared to stay in for a week
Unread 03-31-2008, 04:18 AM
Average Hospital Stay?

Hi kmiles,

I had a TAH/BSO with repairs also and I was told 2-3 nights and as I was going so well my doctor gave me the option of going home a day early and I did. I found being at home much better as I could sit where I felt comfortable and do things as I wished. Also home is much quieter and you can sleep when you wish undisturbed by visitors. As far as pain management you will be sent home will pain relief meds anyway so you'll be okay.

Take care..........Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2008, 06:05 AM
Average Hospital Stay?

I had a tah/bso and was preapproved for a 2 day stay. I ended up staying for a couple of extra days after a reaction to morphine.

I think that they do like to get you home as soon as possible these days but will keep you as necessary

S
Unread 03-31-2008, 06:57 AM
Average Hospital Stay?

I had an SAH/BSO and stayed in the hospital for two nights. Insurance actually approved an additional two nights if it was necessary. But, I was glad I didn't need it. I felt much better once I got home.
Unread 03-31-2008, 07:00 AM
Average Hospital Stay?

I am having a TAH also removal of my remaing ovary. My insurance only okayed 2 days. So I will have surgery on the 3rd and go home the 5th.
Unread 03-31-2008, 07:01 AM
Average Hospital Stay?

kmiles -
welcome....and it looks like you and I will be 'crossing over to the other side' at the same time!!

My last (and only other) surgery requiring a hospital admission was my tonsillectomy, nearly 45 years ago!!! I was seeing sisters reporting everything from 24 hours, to 3 days, excluding complications. My surgery is sched'd for 8:30am, which seemed like it might increase the likelihood of only one night in the hospital. I talked to the insurance company, making it clear that I'd like to get home asap, and asking if they had a rule of thumb for hospital stays with a TAH - they don't . But when I suggested that I was hoping to leave by the end of the following day, they were very dubious, and said I should be sure to follow doc's advice.
I have my pre-op with the doc next Monday, and will try to get a better sense at that time...but realistically, I understand from posts here, that it will depend on how the surgery goes, what they find inside, and how quickly I start getting 'bowel sounds'....none of which I have any control over. and for a control-freak like me, that's a bit tough to accept! but I'm working on it.
this place is great for providing answers, but I guess some answers just don't exist, until later.

hang in there.

Laurie
Unread 03-31-2008, 07:54 AM
Average Hospital Stay?

My dr told me I would be in 3-5 days with 3 being what most of his patients are able to go home by.
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:00 AM
Average Hospital Stay?

My DR told me I would be in the hospital 1-2 nights. I stayed 2 nights...long story, but I could have gone home the next day (my discharge papers were signed, but no one let me know!) My insurance letter stated that as long as my DR deemed necessary, was what I am approved to stay. I was shocked when the itemized bill came in and 2 nights in the hospital was the same charge as my surgery itself!
Lee-Anne
Unread 03-31-2008, 08:01 AM
Average Hospital Stay?

I had my TAH on a Wednesday and went home on Thursday afternoon. I was able to get my catheter out on Thursday morning,took a shower and spent most of the day walking the halls. I was really happy to be going home.I am not a fan of hospitals and I had family at home to help me.Good luck on your surgery and God bless you.My prayers are with you and all the other sisters heading to the castle.
Faith

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register