I finally got "The story....." | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I finally got "The story....." I finally got "The story....."

Unread 02-02-2004, 02:20 PM
I finally got "The story....."

I knew it was coming and it was just a matter of when i'd get "the story" about someone else's hyst and how well they did etc...

What I didn't expect was that it came from my mom. Well, maybe that wasn't that much of a surprise either. So....anyway, it's superbowl sunday and we have friends over to watch the game. My hyst came up and in jumps my mom with her story of her friend who had a full hyst and drove herself to church 5 days post op and why did I keep saying that I couldn't drive for 4 weeks (my doctors' orders to me) when so and so did it and now she's fine and why do you have to be such a baby and drag it out when she was back at work a week after that....and on and on and on. Thank goodness for my rock of a husband! He stopped her immediately and told her to back off and that we are following what the doctor says regardless of how her friend did. GO HONEY!!!! he's sooooo sweet. Even now, 7 weeks post op from a lap he'll tell me to go and lay down and rest that I need it. What a man!

BTW: I've talked to my mom's friend...she said it was the biggest mistake doing that and then going to work too soon because once she went back she couldn't leave back on disability.

So, why am I telling you this? 1) to tell you other LIW that to take the stories with a grain of salt...you are only getting a one-sided third party story without all the details! My mom's friend paid for her stupidity but my mom wasn't going to tell me that part. I knew the whole story awhile ago and really wanted to see how "complete" the version of the story I got was. Needless to say it wasn't a very complete story......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-02-2004, 07:33 PM
Thanks!

Thanks so much for sharing this with all the LIW's.

You'll no doubt hear this more than once, and just remember to take it all with a grain of salt.

We each are special and different, and because of our uniqueness, will all recover and heal at different rates. Please don't let anyone "rush" you or "guilt" you into doing more than you feel like you can do, or more than your doctor allows you to do. And if anyone says "it isn't that bad"...tell them thank you, you appreciate their concern. Boy, that will stop the stories quick!

You only get the chance to heal properly once. For your own sake, take the time you need.

Hugs to you all!
the cat maid
Unread 02-02-2004, 07:47 PM

Good idea, I got that too. My friend said her sister had a hyst and was doing just great,. Plus she loves haveing sex with her huband . Because the husband does nkot miss the cervix, and only likes the vagina anyways. Well, I did not just have a hyst to delete major pain peroids or fibroids that can be horrible, I understand. I had cancer too,and on top of that I had a Csection and gaver birth to a preemie. Her sister did not.

I ffwill listen to you all , take it with a grain of salt.

My mother in law had a hyst long time ago and enjoyed sex after about 2years. She had endo and fibroids, so the hyst improved her lilfe. It did not mine. I was devistated. I felt(ands still) that I lost my womenhood.

Every one of us is diferent , sokme imporve and some do not. Find support of your situation and you only have one chance to heal right. So don't lilsten to well doers, and take care of you. There is only one you. Work can come and go, but there is only one you.

BTW yeay, husband for being in your corner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2004, 10:01 PM

I had the exact opposite experience -- hysterectomy horror stories coming at me wherever I'd go! I remember going to take my son for a haircut at this kid's cut place a couple weeks before I was supposed to have my surgery. I told the stylist to get it good and short since I'd probably be out for a bit. Of course, she asked why, so I quietly told her I was going to have a hysterectomy. Before I knew it, she loudly proclaimed what I was going to do, and 4 older stylists surrounded me like vultures to tell me their horror stories. It wasn't exactly comforting.

I was one of the lucky ones, though. I had a fantastic experience, and can honestly say that it was the best thing I've ever done for myself. I was a late starter (like 15 years old), and from that point on, the periods were not a good thing. After having my 2nd child a couple years ago, things continued to get worse and worse. The pain was intense, and the clotting was so weird -- always felt like something was going to fall out of my body at any given time! Anyway, I knew that we were done having kids (DH was snipped!), so it wasn't an emotional decision for me. I told the doctor that I didn't need to mess around with all the options -- I was ready to just get rid of the whole thing. He kindly obliged, and just a couple weeks later I did just that. I was in the hospital one night, can honestly say that I felt very little pain at all (thank goodness for the spinal!), and felt back to my normal self in about 3 weeks. Yes, there was some initial weirdness (um, the bowel situation post-op is a bit interesting to say the least!), but those things were so minor compared to the monthly trauma I was used to. I'm now several months post-op, and sex is better than ever (hey, we can do it any time of the month that we want now, and that's pretty cool!).

Anyway, just thought I'd let you know that it doesn't have to be horrible and painful -- there are good hysterectomy experiences, too.

Kim
(31 years old, TVH 10/21/03, kept my ovaries, and finally loving life!)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register