Failed Endometrial Ablation? (2016) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Failed Endometrial Ablation? (2016) Failed Endometrial Ablation? (2016)

Unread 10-07-2016, 04:56 AM
Failed Endometrial Ablation? (2016)

I had an endometrial ablation done on 12th August under general. The first week was actually OK very little pain and bleeding but the 2nd week was far tougher with bleeding and discharge and pain. By the end of the 3rd week this had eased. I had one period (I think) at the beginning of September which was OK although one episode of flooding. I am now on my 2nd period (I think) and have had heavy bleeding for the past 2 nights which require changing pads every 2 hours. There's also clotting. Am taking Tranexamic acid but not sure if its actually helping. I'm at my wits end as have had abnormal uterine bleeding now for over a year. I had a hysteroscopy and a scan and nothing untoward was found. It is ruining my life as I cant make any plans. Should the next step be a hysterectomy, I am 43.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2016, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookers_123 View Post
I had an endometrial ablation done on 12th August under general. The first week was actually OK very little pain and bleeding but the 2nd week was far tougher with bleeding and discharge and pain. By the end of the 3rd week this had eased. I had one period (I think) at the beginning of September which was OK although one episode of flooding. I am now on my 2nd period (I think) and have had heavy bleeding for the past 2 nights which require changing pads every 2 hours. There's also clotting. Am taking Tranexamic acid but not sure if its actually helping. I'm at my wits end as have had abnormal uterine bleeding now for over a year. I had a hysteroscopy and a scan and nothing untoward was found. It is ruining my life as I cant make any plans. Should the next step be a hysterectomy, I am 43.
I had an ablation in February of 2015. Helped with the bleeding even though i still bled a bit each month,but not with the horrific cramping. I went to my gyn/ob and told him about the problems still existing. He is the one that suggested a hysterectomy. Just had a total laprascopic hysterectomy (kept my ovaries) on September 23rd,2016 and I am looking forward to not having the monthly cramping that forced me into bed for at least 2-3 days per month!
My sister in law went through the exact same thing last year as I did and also had the hysterectomy earlier this year and hadn't felt better! !
Maybe talk to your doctor about that option if you are willing to go that route.
Take care !!!
Unread 10-14-2016, 01:56 PM

I am also 43 years old
Had the abalation surgery in April 2016
May 1st and may 3rd ended up in the ER with really bad pains.
In the end I had to have a hysterectomy.
I had my hysterectomy August 10th 2016.
So far pain free and no more bleeding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2016, 02:13 PM
Re: Failed Endometrial Ablation?

I had ablation at the beginning of the year. It didn't even work for 1 month. My doctor was surprised. He offered all the same options..1. the pill 2. IUD 3. Hysterectomy. I went with the third option. I had my TAH on September 9 th. I am still recovering but feel great about my decision. Good luck.
Unread 10-14-2016, 02:48 PM

I had ablation in 2009. I had a rough recovery but then my doctor had to remove some large fibroids to do the procedure. While I still had periods, the bleeding was less, initially. In 2011, I had to have a hysterectomy. My fibroids had come back with a vengeance and were pushing on my sciatic nerve causing my leg to lose feeling and I was now anemic from the heavy periods. I've heard that it can take time for your body to settle down after an ablation; I know several who have had the procedure and have done well 6-12 months afterwards. I hope it all works out for you and maybe you should consult with your doctor or even get a second opinion.
Unread 10-14-2016, 02:52 PM

I had a uterine fibroid embolization, and have been symptom-free for over a year. I didn't want to have a hyst either. I'm very active, didn't want the down time,didn't want to have a piece of my system removed unless it was absolutely necessary. I am nearly 50 now, so doctors were hopeful that if fibroids decided to grow again, they would be thwarted by menopause soon. Check in to it. If you need more info LMK. Best of luck❤️
Unread 10-14-2016, 04:55 PM

I too had a failed ablation in January of this year. Did nothing for me, right back to floods, etc.
Had Laproscopic Supracervical Hysterectomy, still have cervix and ovaries as those were normal.
I also was offered the pill, the IUD and the embolization.
I just turned 50, and before all this was no where near menopause.

I am glad I chose the LSH, feel better knowing I don't have to worry about my quality of life with heavy, heavy periods that brought on anemia, cramps, etc.

Check into it. If you are done having kids or don't want them, I fell hysterectomy is the way to go. There are so many less invasive options, as my doctor said " this isnt your mothers hysterectomy anymore"
Unread 10-14-2016, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Hello,I am also 43 yrs old. I had an ablation July 1,2014 because I had 5 fibroids. Day #3 was the worst for me. A lot of cramping. After that the next 6 months was great. No cramps,no bleeding and I wasn't an emotional mess every month. Then my periods started coming back but,they were all over the place (normal 1 month,then back with a vengeance the next month or I wouldn't have one for 2 or 3 months). The pain got worse Everytime. October 2015 I ended up in the ER on a morphine IV and was kept in the hospital for 2 days. Ultrasound showed a 3 cm cyst on my right ovary. Now the cyst is 5 cm. Dr has recommended a hysterectomy. I am perfectly fine with that because I can not live with the pain anymore. I will be keeping my left ovary to avoid HRT.
I wish you the best,speedy recovery,and lots of blessings.

Hugs,
Christy.
Unread 11-14-2016, 02:33 PM

I had a uterine ablation and fibroid removal (vaginally) in April 2016. The first month was okay with an okay period. Second month started bleeding and clotting with prolonged bleeding for over 3 weeks. Doctor was perplexed and said I had an infection or inflammation (but didn't do any blood work or exam) and prescribed antibiotics and ibuprofen. This helped a little but I got my period again so I bled for a total of 5 weeks. The next month was a light period so I thought that I was finally heading in the right direction. The next month came and I experienced heaving bleeding and unbelievable cramps and bloating for 2 days. It has been that way every month since. I finally went to a new ob/gyn and she had me undergo an ultrasound. I was told I have two significant fibroids (1.3 and 1.5 inches) and a possible polyp. LESS THAN SIX MONTHS after my ablation and fibroid removal. New doctor said she doesn't remove fibroids vaginally only abdominally and doesn't do ablation with fibroid removal as she wants uterus intact. Complete opposite of what was done. I can now either have an abdominal removal or hysterectomy. Leaning towards hysterectomy but going to research holistic alternatives.
  Quote:
Unread 03-13-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kermitlegs View Post
I had ablation at the beginning of the year. It didn't even work for 1 month. My doctor was surprised. He offered all the same options..1. the pill 2. IUD 3. Hysterectomy. I went with the third option. I had my TAH on September 9 th. I am still recovering but feel great about my decision. Good luck.
Hi there! My doctor said my ablation also failed within a month because of cramping and spotting still. Is it ok if I ask why your doctor said why they thought it failed so quickly? So many people seem to have later failure and I'm just wondering if my doc is jumping the gun because she wants me to have a hysterectomy which is fine but I don't know if the surgeon will agree with her opinion. I'm so very lost and confused! Sorry to be a downer

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register