Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 8/20: What to wear after surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 8/20: What to wear after surgery? Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 8/20: What to wear after surgery?

Unread 07-23-2020, 06:12 AM
Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 8/20: What to wear after surgery?

Hysterectomy is 28 days away - full abdominal incision. I typically wear tummy-control, athletic capris every day during this hot summer. What in the world should I plan to wear post-op? I've been consumed caring for multiple medical issues/surgeries for my children with special needs. Now I need to start focusing on my own upcoming surgery and recovery, and I need to get busy gathering needed items right now! Help! I feel totally unprepared!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2020, 10:06 AM
Re: Upcoming abdominal hysterectomy 8/20: What to wear after surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PursuerofHealth View Post
Hysterectomy is 28 days away - full abdominal incision. I typically wear tummy-control, athletic capris every day during this hot summer. What in the world should I plan to wear post-op? I've been consumed caring for multiple medical issues/surgeries for my children with special needs. Now I need to start focusing on my own upcoming surgery and recovery, and I need to get busy gathering needed items right now! Help! I feel totally unprepared!?
These are the things I got before my surgery:

*Large floor length maxi dress 2 sizes larger than normal. I just got plain black. I wanted something that I knew would not bother my stitches or rub against my tummy because I expected to be really swollen (I was). Wore it home from the hospital.

*Adult underwear. I didn't know if I'd have any bleeding or leaking urine. I didn't want to worry about pads for the bed or my family washing sheets every day. I have been really glad to have them.

*Gas X and stool softeners - was provided a prescription for stool softeners but wanted to continue once those ran out. The Gas X has really helped and I'm still taking it daily.

*White noise machine for outside my bedroom door. My house is 'loud' and I didn't want my family to have to tip toe around when I was napping throughout the day. Very helpful as I'm a very light sleeper. I got the kind therapists use outside their doors to mask private conversations.

*Made some freezer meals to take the pressure off my family during the first 3-4 weeks of my recovery.

*Binder for my tummy - I was sent home in one from the surgery. I was going to buy one but my surgeon said I'd go home in one. What a lifesaver. So glad I had it. I didn't take it off for the first three days.

*Already had ice packs and a heating pad at home.

*Borrowed a chair for my shower so I could sit if needed. It has been great to hold on to for stability as I've showered.

*Already had the perfect size pillow to hold against my tummy if I had to sneeze or cough. Very helpful.

Wishing you the best as you prepare!
Unread 07-23-2020, 11:11 AM

Anything loose as otherwise it may bother you on your incision
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2020, 02:48 PM

Oversized t-shirt dresses are the best but if you sleep in one, not too oversized. It’s annoying to have to shift too much extra fabric when you’re trying to move around in the bed.

My body pillow was a life saver when sleeping on my side as it would conform to whatever I needed. Couple that with a king size pillow behind you for extra support while you sleep. Whatever pillows you decide to use, have them in your bed before you leave for the hospital so they are in position, ready to go when you get home. The last thing you want to do is have to grab them from the linen closet and position them on the bed right after coming home from the hospital.

Having said that, I had 2 water bottles on my nightstand ready when I came home. My husband also put my chargers in a way that I wouldn’t need to bend over to grab them.

Clean the house to your liking, get the laundry done and after that, let it all go. Accept that you won’t be able to do much for awhile and be ok with it. Rest, water, some movement and heal.
Unread 07-23-2020, 03:10 PM

You can still wear capris. Forget the athletic tummy control ones for a while. I'd get some of the really stretchy knit ones that aren't tight at the waist and get them roomy. You can also get leggings that fit loose. I wore those and loose flowy tops. I also bought cotton briefs in a size too big. I've also seen a lot of the flowy type knit sundresses recently. The idea is to first of all be comfortable. If your'e like me though you want to at least feel somewhat normal.
Unread 07-23-2020, 04:11 PM

I had a TAH on 20th. I walked into the hospital with loose fitting cotton summer dress. Due to the COVID, I had to pack very light and in zipper bags. I wore the same dress on my ride back home. I then change to cotton night dress. My doc did not allow me to wear the abdominal binder until the sutures dissolve(6-7 days).
Best wishes for your upcoming surgery
Unread 07-23-2020, 05:34 PM

Hi! I also really loved long, loose cotton T-shirt dresses (got 4 in different colors from Target right bf surgery : ). When I first arrived home from the hospital I opted for no pants bc I really didn't want any clothing putting pressure on my tummy, & not having to wear pants was also amazing bc I had a catheter for a week.
During this time I also went "commando" Lol! but when I felt comfortable wearing panties again after my catheter was out, I really loved the soft mesh high-waisted panties at the HysterSister store.

Everyone is different, and there are some ladies who have absolutely loved their abdominal binders and some who didn't care for them : ), but I really did like wearing mine when I got out of bed and walked around. I felt that it really supported me. We did though put a soft gauze pad on top of my incision before putting the binder on, which made it much more comfortable until I got my staples out and things healed more fully.

When I felt comfortable wearing pants again, I wore soft, high-waisted ones (so they would touch far above my incision & over my swelly belly) with elastic waists - borrowed some from a friend who wore them after her last C-section.

Ironically I actually did also shop in the swimwear section too, and got some cute, soft, long, breezy cover-up tops! They're really light and airy, and very comfy. Flowy sundresses were also great.

I hope this helps a little, and I just also wanted to send you lots warm wishes for a smooth, peaceful recovery! Hugs!
Unread 07-23-2020, 06:39 PM

My surgery was laparoscopic, and my surgeon recommended against anything binding, so I chose bikini panties - in white, of course - which came up to below my incisions. I almost ended up going home in my pajamas after my brother absconded with my pants when I was taken into surgery, and I wouldn't have cared! Now that my area is moving into a period of humidex values in the high 90s, my wardrobe choices include loose fitting dresses and tank tops, and a basic nightshirt for sleeping. For gas and constipation, here are a few more suggestions for items to have on hand: peppermint tea; whole grain cereal like oatmeal or All Bran; frozen blueberries; magnesium-rich dark chocolate and pumpkin seeds; coriander or fennel seeds; a fiber supplement like Metamucil or Benefibre; a Squatty Potty or small footstool to elevate your feet while you're on the throne, which can help by properly aligning the rectum so the poop can pass through more smoothly. Wishing you all the best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 07-25-2020, 02:57 PM

Hi PursuerofHealth to HysterSisters!

I am so glad you found this site.

Having a hysterectomy is MAJOR surgery, and you definitely need to prepare your household for your downtime. Here are 10 Tips for Preparing for Your Hysterectomy. What I found most useful (I do not have children) were the following (some are repeats from above and some may not be possible due to the pandemic):
-Meals in the freezer that can be put in the microwave
-Easy foods for breakfasts and lunches
-Loose fitting clothing
-Prepare your recovery corner with pillows and blankets
-Plan entertainment for your brain
-Small pillow to hold against your tummy for coughs and sneezes (or pet visits)
-Super clean your house
-Get your hair cut

The type of loose fitting clothing is really a personal decision. I wore elastic waist band sweat pants, loose t-shirts and old shorts. Some women wear sun dresses or yoga pants. I would definitely not have any tummy control clothing, as you do not want anything to rub on your incisions. Keep in mind also that you might have swelly belly for some time. (I did for about six to eight weeks, when I could finally start wearing normal clothing). Here is an article:Tummy Care | Swelly Belly

Because you have children, you will need to arrange to get help with them. Keep in mind that you will have lifting restrictions: 10 lbs for 6 weeks and 20 lbs for 8 weeks is common (a gallon of milk weighs 8.5 lbs), if that is going to be an issue. Here are articles that may provide information:
10 Tips to Prepare for Hysterectomy Recovery with Small Children
Feeding Your Family During Hysterectomy Recovery

Unread 07-31-2020, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PursuerofHealth View Post
I bought several t-shirt dresses and some nightgowns - I prefer short nightgowns/camis so that it doesn't get twisted around my legs when I'm sleeping. I also bought postpartum c-section underwear. I should have bought that two sizes larger due to my belly being swollen.

I was lucky - I didn't get nauseated thanks to some forethought by the surgeon, but he had given me a scopalamine patch to prevent nausea, which must have done wonders (plus the anesthesiologist added zofran to my iv). My doc said the nausea is often from the inner ear -just ask ahead of time. That said, I bought disposable barf bags and saltines and ginger ale, just in case.

Also consider buying a grabber to allow you to pick up things without bending over and have thing "staged" and ready for use at waist level.

Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register