Dizzy and room spinning since day 1 post hysterectomy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Dizzy and room spinning since day 1 post hysterectomy Dizzy and room spinning since day 1 post hysterectomy

Unread 04-06-2021, 07:32 PM
Re: Dizzy and room spinning since day 1 post hysterectomy

***I felt the need to pop back on here and clarify that the recommended you tube videos about vertigo exercise refer to the simple ones, like eye and head movements, better ways of getting up from your bed, NOT the demonstrated doctor’s table exercises***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2021, 07:42 PM
Dizzy and room spinning since day 1 post hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnypot21 View Post
It is Easter Monday so no doctor available today. I will contact my doc tomorrow to get another blood test to see if I am still anaemic.
Should I ask for a test to see where my hormones levels are at?
Should I push my doc to refer me to a neurologist?
Is there anything else I should say to my doc? Apart from how I'm feeling, of course.
I can't continue to live like this for another 4 months before she will to anything else. I'm dizzy and light headed all the time.
Because of covid restrictions, you cannot get an appointment with someone face to face unless it's vital. To get to speak to my doc, you have to call as soon as possible in the morning, and she will ring your back late afternoon. I feel like I need to scream and shout for help.
What about Meclizine? That’s what I’ve taken for vertigo? Does the dizziness make you nauseous? I know my vertigo episodes made me really nauseous too. Prayers you get relief
Unread 04-07-2021, 05:20 AM

Sorry you are feeling the vertigo. This is probably not due to the surgery. I am 5 years post op full hysterectomy and for the past 11 months have experienced vertigo, brain fog, dizziness, etc. I had blood work done, MRI, CT scan and thankfully no tumors identified.
I would suggest you see your family doctor and/or neurologist to make sure there is nothing there. Try ginger tea, bed rest when you can.
I don’t know if it is Covid related, but I wish you luck in getting relief. Best of luck to you.
Unread 04-07-2021, 08:17 AM

I had dizziness and bad fatigue that started 2 months after my hyster. Doctor couldn't understand why. Eventually I was tested for a UTI and discovered I had bacterial vaginosis. Three days into using metro gel antibiotic to clear it up and the dizziness disappeared and energy came back. Just thought I would throw that out there in case you haven't been tested for that yet.
Unread 04-07-2021, 09:12 AM
Dizzy and room spinning since day 1 post hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnypot21 View Post

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong section. Hopefully someone can advise me.
I am 5 1/2 weeks post op. Since day 1 I have been dizzy and the room spinning. During the 1st week, I was told by doctors that it is probably the lasting effects of the pain medication and anaesthetic. So I waited. At 3 weeks and 1 day post op, I woke up, rolled over in bed then saw stars; double vision, what I was seeing before me was turning and turning and sudden pain in my head that went from one side of my head to the other. It lasted about a minute. The following night, I was awoken several times with these symptoms. I was checked out by doc; blood pressure, blood sugar, some tests to check if it was my brain. All came back ok.
Doc says it is an unknown cause of vertigo and I was given betahistine 8mg tablets. I have been taking these for just over two weeks. Whilst I have seen some improvement in the last 4 days, it is only slight. I am still dizzy and the room spinning. It is difficult to do things. I wonder if the tablets are actually helping?

Could my dizziness be down to hormones?
I kept my ovaries. Uterus, cervix and Fallopian tubes were removed.
I am dizzy 24/7 but the dizziness is worst in the mornings. Mid morning is usually the peak. I wake up ok and it starts setting in after about 5 minutes. Early evening is usually the best time of day.
I do not get extra dizzy by moving in different ways or speeds. Whatever the level it is at, does not change by my actions. It only did so at those two incidences 3 weeks post op.
I don't feel nauseous.
I have about 2 litres to drink everyday and my appetite is good.
I was anaemic and took ferrous sulphate tablets for 4 weeks. Doc took blood but my results are lost - no one seems to have them.
For 4 months, right up to the day before surgery, I was taking a oestrogen and progestogen pill.
I have been waking up every night between 2:30-3:30am. Mostly 3:10.
For the first 3 weeks, when waking up in the middle of the night, I have woken up hot. But now the heat is no longer happening.
I am no longer bleeding. Bleeding came to a slow stop at 3 weeks post op.

My doc says if I am still dizzy in 4 months time, then she will look into things further. I can't wait 4 months if there is something that can be done now.

I was hoping to find others who have had this problem and what they did to cure it.

I woke up from surgery with the room spinning and my heart rate very high when I opened my eyes. Immediately they checked my heart, which luckily was good. I was given Bonine and Dramamine which stop the spinning about three hours later. Unfortunately for the majority of my recovery I was very lightheaded and had dizzy spells. I was prescribed Bonine which didn’t help and had blood work done which all came back good.I went to physical therapy which helped but didn’t totally make it go away.
I did the eye movement exercises because physically that was all I could do. It finally subsided about 10 weeks later. One theory being that being on incline for my surgery made crystals in the ear get stuck and I was unable to physically do the exercises that normally make them reposition. Good luck. Hopefully it will get better soon for you. Thinking of you!
Unread 04-07-2021, 10:38 AM

Meclizine works for some for dizziness. I have also tried Phosphorus pills. Keep a record of your good days vs bad days so that you have a log of your symptoms. Good luck!
Unread 04-08-2021, 06:04 AM

RE: VERTIGO

I didn't notice anyone else mentioning it, but see an ENT (Ear Nose Throat) Doctor.

Surprisingly (to me anyway), they are REALLY experienced in helping with vertigo.

My vertigo was as a result of car-accident whiplash. I came close to losing my driver's license, but my ENT gave me dramamine on steroids to take for 6 months. After I began taking that, and for years' after -- no more vertigo.

From what I understand, there are many reasons for vertigo and ENTs can help diagnose and treat it.
Unread 04-10-2021, 09:44 AM

Thank you all for replying to me. It's great to know that you are there to help.
This is the latest: I had my blood taken - I am not anemic. I'm happy my levels have risen since surgery and it also rules that possibility out. The nurse who took my blood said a lot of people have vertigo after surgery. I told her my dizziness is 24/7. She said 'Oh, that's strange'.
My doc has given me new tablets to try - Arlevert, which are cinnarizine and dimenhydrinate. I've only been taking them for 2 days, so, I think, it's too early to say if they''re helping.
I will also try the techniques in the Youtube videos that C Marie has suggested.

My doc has suggested that stress might be the cause of my dizziness. Has anyone had this? I'm not sure if that is stress to the body or to the mind or maybe both.
Unread 04-10-2021, 08:00 PM

Hi hunnypot,
I really hope your medication starts to help.

While I don’t experience dizziness that often anymore, I do have tinnitus and find that stress definitely makes it worse. While most ENT doctors don’t believe stress causes the ringing and feeling of “imbalance”, stress can significantly increase the symptoms.

Please know we all hope you feel better soon.

❤️

Please continue to keep us updated.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register