New here... What a hard decision!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

New here... What a hard decision!!! New here... What a hard decision!!!

Unread 11-04-2005, 11:33 PM
New here... What a hard decision!!!

Hi to all,

I am a bit dizzy trying to find out how to use this site to post a message and/or to read one. It has been a long time away from interactive internet. I hope some of you can get this message and help me to find the way to my future decision.
Confusion, fear, despair really... and I thought that after having 2 cesarians, this decision would not be as hard to make as it has been.
Sorry everyone, I forgot to give you a good introduction of myself: I am a 32, married with a wonderful man who is giving me all the support at this stage. we have a son(12) and a daughter(08) and no intension on having another child.
Last year, after examinations, I discoved that I had a fibroid and adenomyosis whith at that stage did not cause any pain, only a heavy menstrual period. Last week I did all the tests again and it shows that my fibroid had grown from 3.2 cm to 4.7 cm and it was found two more (2.8cm & 1.1cm) all on the right side of my uterus. The bigest one is a subserous fibroid and it is pushing the right ovary backwards. In addition to this, I am severe anemic. My doctor said that hysterectomy was the only solution since I still have many years to get menopause and that hormone treatments would not be a good alternative as the fibroids would come back to normal size after I stop the treatment. So would be a yo yo thing.
What should I do? Try hormone treatment? Do the hysterectomy living the ovaries and deal with any problems after? And if my ovaries fail after the surgery?
Please give me any advice on how to made the decision. I am so scare to make this decision and just to after regret. Please lets talk!

Petala
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2005, 12:06 AM

Surgery is not something to take lightly. Multiple opinions are in order. Try to find someone that is in no way connected to your primary gyn. Look for someone who offers alternative treatments to try to determine if you are a candidate. Sometimes alternatives are not offered simpley because the doctor doesn't do them. You need to find out why hysterectomy would be your best or worst option.

Best wishes.
Unread 11-05-2005, 12:09 AM

Hi Petala,

to Hystersisters. I am sorry your facing the possibility of a hysterectomy, but you have come to the right place to find answers.

You might want to begin at Hysterectomy Options where you can read about treatments that have helped other women and decide, with your Dr, if they are an option for you.

I am proud of you for wanting to get as much information as you can. I hope you find all the answers you need. Only you can make the decision, but we are here to support you in whatever decision you make.

s,
Kay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2005, 06:32 AM

Hi Petala:

It's a big surgery, so it's a big decision Be sure to get 2 or 3 medical opinions. My doc #2 had much more cutting & pasting in mind for me than doc #3.

I hope you find the right asnwers soon. I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 11-05-2005, 07:49 PM

Hi Petala,
I'm in the same boat as you,I'm 29 have three children, and have been diagnosed with adenomyosis,waiting on MRI results fpr any other results. I am trying to decide if I want a hysterectomy. I am opposed to depo-lupron shot -to many side effects that can be long term. I am also going to get 2nd and possibly 3rd opinion,everyone seems to recommend that. I know it's so hard to make this decision, I am bouncing all over the place in my mind. I have eliminated soy,wheat,dairy(except natural plain yogurt)and sugar. Not very easy but I've noticed after only 3 days of this my pain had decreased. I didn't have to take a pain pill until 5pm tonight. Also my abdomen is so swollen sometimes it looks like I'm pregnant. Does this happen to you as well? I've been in constant pain(lower back,pelvic cramping)for the past month. This is all unreal to me right now. It's hard to digest or accept. Please let me know how you are doing or if you have made a decision or anything, it helps so much to just communicate with others going through this. May you be blessed with good doctors and the ability to come to a decision,it's hard I know, thanks,
esky
Unread 11-06-2005, 07:53 PM

Hi Patela,

U are not alone. I am also in the boat with you. It is such a major decision. Seek out all the information you can find, gathering from the internet, friends, family but most of all God. Once you are armed with information and the power of the Holy Spirit you will know how to proceed. Try to keep all the "what if's" at bay.

I am supposed to call my dr. with a decsion regarding hysteroscopy and submucosal fibroid removal versus hysterectomy. I am 39 with 2 birth and 3 adopted children. At this point I am leaning towards hysterectomy as a definitive treatment for severe bleeding, cramps, etc. My quality of life the past year has defiantely not been what it should be and for what? Because I chose to tolerate practically bleeding to death for years. I wish I had done something sooner but it was not until my "colossal" period in September that I said "enough!". I was bleeding thru 2 tampons (yes I resorted to interting 2 supers so I could go to my son's soccer game) and a maxi pad in 20 minutes. I felt like I was giving birth to blood clots in the soccer field restroom. It was crazy. I will probably look back on it and laugh some day.
LOL and you are in my prayers. The answer will come to you in due time. Keep the faith!
Unread 11-06-2005, 11:55 PM

Hi again and thank you to Pearle, Kay m, Twysmilng, Esky and String Bean for taking your time to read my message. I really think that this is the best web site I've seen for who are having such a strugle time to make those decision... I felt a great deal of support from you all... thank you soo much!

I have been so stressed that for some reason this months was the first one since long time that my period's not heavy... maybe because of the iron tablets? who knows! I am starting to think "is that a message not to do the surgery?".

The other thing is that the majority of woman were in pain before hysterectomy so the idea of no pain afterward was something to look for, but for me I still do not have any pain so I keep thinking if should I do now? I will be seing another doctor for a 2nd opinion...I leet you know what she says.

Regarding vaginal dryness...can it hapen even if you are left with one ovary and you have normal hormone production from this ovary?

Best wishes for you all...thanks!
Unread 11-07-2005, 10:23 AM

Hi again, PETALA

Be sure to check out the fibroids section of our Resources Directory here: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/lin...=browse&cid=26 and also www.thefibroidplace.com

Since you aren't in any pain, perhaps the non-surgical treatments will be a better decision for you. Get smart about your symptoms and your options, and make the best choice for YOU.

I am sending huge cyberhugs
Unread 11-07-2005, 03:07 PM

HI Patela,

Getting a second opinion is essential. No..I do not think that because your period was lighter that it means you should not have a hyst, etc. I did not have a period after my last "colossal" period and the Dr. said my body was in shock from the blood loss. My lab results showed anemia (no suprise) and I am scheduled for a LAVH on January 25th. I wanted to avoid the holidays. I feel very at peace regarding my decision but it took 2 months, lot's of data collection and two Drs. before I reached a decision. YOu too will find the right treatment for yourself. It takes time...I know it is frustrating. Keep the faith LOL.

Karen
Unread 11-07-2005, 06:29 PM

Hi Patela,
My name is Nita, I am 35, married with two children, ages 3 and 5 and in the same boat as you. I have adenomyosis, and have been told that a hysterectomy is the only way too. In my case, I am keeping the ovaries, as I believe that it's the best way, and if there are problems later, I can always have them removed. I know it's a tough thing you are going through. I know exactly how you feel. I'm scared to death at the thought of this operation. I'm thinking about you, and want you to know that YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!! I'm here for you if you want to talk. Big hugs to you! Hang in there! Keep me posted with your case!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register