Wondering how you all decided. . . . | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Wondering how you all decided. . . . Wondering how you all decided. . . .

Unread 08-03-2000, 08:19 AM
Wondering how you all decided. . . .

Hi,
What an awesome website this is. I, too, am "on the fence" and seeking some support and advice on the decision-making process. I'm 48, have an enlarged uterus (about 16 weeks), one large apple-sized fibroid that is deeply buried in the uterine wall, and tons of small ones. Symptoms: heavy bleeding--a super tampon and pad every hours for 2-3 days, urine leakage, bloating and periodic anemia (going from 13.2 hemoglobin down to about 9 on heavy periods). This knowledge is all fairly new to me. . .and it bothers me a bit that things progressed this far before the problems were squarely diagnosed. Birth control pills were a disaster. . after 8 months of trial I quit them. Had double periods almost every month. Six weeks ago I had a D&C and my first period since then was normal-to-light.

My MD says there's a 70% chance that I will eventually require a hysterectomy (vs. 30% chance that I could wait things out until menopause) My job and travel schedule are very demanding and Nov/Dec is by far the best window for me to have elective surgery. So I'm trying to decide whether to take care of this in November, or ride it out for at least another year. He indicates that I could buy time by using hormone-inhibiting drugs for a few months, and could also additional D&Cs if heavy bleeding persists.

I'm leaning towards surgery. I'm fortunate to have always been healthy and fit, so the idea of outguessing my symptoms and wondering whether they'll persist for one or ten years (based on when I reach menopause) is not appealing. On the other hand, I do recognize that a hyster is major surgery and not without complications. I've never had surgery, nor have I been pregnant.

I will hugely welcome any words of wisdom that you are willing to share. Thanks already.

Pondering in Michigan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2000, 09:09 AM
try a LAVH

I just recently had a Laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy. 7/28/00 I feel great. This way by far the best decision having it this way, as i had had 2 c-sections, and almost had to have a Abdominal hyst. I too had many fibroids and endometreosis. Pain most of the month. For me the decision was made the day my Dr. suggested to me I needed this, as I was not having any more children. It was a life style decision, one without pain and heavy bleeding all month was not what I wanted, Being 34, and far away from menopause, this was the best thing I have done for myself. I stayed one night in the hospital, and am home now doing light activities and feeling no pain!! I am planning to start excercising lightly weeks end. Good Luck Check out this option. Lisa
Unread 08-03-2000, 10:00 AM

Jolknapp and Lisa, too!

Jolk - you sound so much like me. Just turned 49 this week. I had a hyst done totally thru a lap (a little different than a lap-assisted vaginal hyst, which has more internal stitches) on 7/11/00. I was TOTALLY against having a hyst at first. A 36-day period, and 4 second opinions, reading, researching - changed my mind.

Why? The lap hyst is done thru just the lap incisions. Only 2 internal stitches. (A couple more just under the skin at the incision sites.) Recovery time is usually 2 - 3 weeks. BUT BUT BUT if I had waited, and my broids had grown, I would not have been able to do this procedure. Only 2 docs in my city do this procedure so far - and this was my doc's first! So research this option if you can find a provider. I'm about to post my "princess" story, which will tell you more.

Lisa - as bluntly as I can say this - FORGET THE EXERCISES THIS WEEKEND PLEEEAAAASSSSEEE!!!!!! You have plenty of time for that, and only ONE chance to heal properly. Altho I'm walking and back at work half time, I would NOT vacuum, lift anything heavy, do a sit-up beyond getting out of bed. Oh, please ask your doc before doing something you could regret. Even going back to work half time I sure felt it last weekend, and spent Sunday with my feet up to prepare for this week.

My vote - Feet up, yes Exercise, no

PS - the hyst decision was the best I've made in years - no more bladder leaking, back pain, long painful periods are gone, and I can sleep thru the night. Imma new woman!

Det. D. Tracy, Fibroid Investigations
Supra Lap/ 7/11/00
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-03-2000, 10:41 AM

Jolknapp,

Of course I am sure that you know that this is a decision that only YOU can make. I can tell you of my experience and if the helps to guide you into a decision then that is good.

I had my hysterectomy due to large fibroids, adenomyosis and endometriosis. I also had a D&C to help slow the bleeding. I had that done in July of 99, BUT in my case the bleeding started again within 3 days of the D&C, and just as heavy and painful as before the D&C. It was then that my doctor told me that the only way to stop all this bleeding and pain was to have a hysterectomy. He said that we could ~try~ another D&C but with the size of the fibroids and the extent of the adenomyosis that he really didn't think it would work any better than the first one. He didn't want to remove just the fibroids, which can be done, because he said the size and location would make it difficult, which could lead to a bleeding mess that would result in me having an emergency hysterectomy. He would rather not put me in that situation. So I opted for hysterectomy.

Hysterectomy is MAJOR surgery. Recovery takes ALOT of TIME and REST. This is not something that you should take lightly. It does not come without the chance of complications. If this is the time for you to go ahead and consent to the surgery, then you are doing the right thing by researching and going in to it with your eyes wide open.

And Lisa Ginn, you should NOT be exercising this early. My goodness you aren't even 1 week post op. I would strongly suggest that you speak to your doctor about when you can resume exercising. I was told NO exercising for at least 6 weeks, then he released me to do light leg lifts, but still no stomach exercises until 12 weeks. You may feel GREAT right now, but if you push it then you WON'T be feeling great anymore.
Unread 08-03-2000, 03:18 PM
P.S. to my query

Thanks for your kind responses. I'm absorbing every word and appreciate the support enormously. A P.S. to my message: mine would definitely be an abdominal hyst-- the size of my uterus, along with size and location of fibroids--already renders vaginal or laproscopic impossible.
Unread 08-07-2000, 11:11 PM
Just made the decision

After signing on and reading alot of everyone's comments, I feel good about my decision. I'm 43 years old and have been dealing with very heavy periods for the last 9 1/2yrs. For the last 6 months I have experienced them three weeks out of every months.I've tried everything down to rubbing progesterine cream on my stomach daily (it helped) a small bit but not enough to make a major difference. My Dr. on Friday gave me the option and my husband and I decided this weekend. My surgery won't be until October,so it makes me abit nervous to read about everyone's pre-dreams and sleepless nights.We have three beautiful daughters so this was not a difficult decision to come to. I hear different stories about the length of time for recovery. My Dr. said 3 days in the hospital if no complications and I could be driving and back to work in two 1/2 weeks. They are leaving the ovaries so maybe this is correct. I'm in perfect health,but I guess I'll wait and see. It's so nice to know other women are going through this too,it's nice to chat with others. Thanks New Hyster Sister KB

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register