Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery (LSH) - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery (LSH) Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery (LSH)

Unread 11-17-2004, 05:02 PM
Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery (LSH)

Hi Chubbs, Cindy and Shedduck,

I am 7 months post-op from my LSH and doing great!! I had my annual exam today - including a pap smear - and my Dr. said everything looked good. My Dr. said he would see me in a year for my next annual exam. So, I had a terrific day!!

And Chubbs, on your question about the mini-period, can you ask your Dr. if he/she plans to cauterize your cervix?? I had mine cauterized and I have not had a mini-period. My Dr. advised me to keep my cervix also since it can help with future pelvic support. Which it has in my case.

And Shedduck - I did the same thing. I did not want to wait too long and then I would not be a candidate for a LSH.

And Cindy - best wishes with your post-op. Just get lots of R & R, girl!!!

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2004, 05:20 PM

Hi Chubbs! I too am scheduled for a LSH, but I went to 3 doctors before I found one that is skilled in that type of surgery. I wanted this type of hysterectomy because I wanted to keep my cervix and because it has the shortest recovery time. My doctor told me that keeping the cervix does help in preventing prolapse and some woman do have mini periods. I'm not concerned about the mini period personally as I'm 47 and should be hitting menopause soon anyway and also because I'll just be happy not to be flooding anymore!

I'm also thinking that the pain shouldn't be as bad since the recovery time is shorter. Also my doctor mentioned that he has found that the biggest problem is that his patients feel so good shortly after surgery that they forget that they have to take it slower and give their bodies time to heal. He made a point of telling me that despite how good I feel to take it easy. So I've promised myself to remember that bit of advice.

I also want to thank historylady for her posts. She's been a wealth of info and support for those of us with questions on this procedure.

Barb
Unread 11-17-2004, 05:46 PM

Hi Barb,

I agree with you on the statement that you look and feel good on the outside and you are still healing on the inside. So true!! We ladies have to remember that a LSH is MAJOR surgery too!!

6 weeks was my magic number to take it easy and watch myself even though I felt "normal" at times. I got a greenlight for all activities at the 6 week mark. Just look at it as only 6 weeks of taking it easy, to have "quality of life" back.

Best wishes to you all,

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2004, 06:17 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH LADIES.

I will definitely inquire about having my cervix cauterized. I'm happy to know that there is another option.

I have a small fibroid but I have had excessively heavy bleading for about 22 years with severe cramping and my iron levels have always been low and now they are at a critical level..........I have been give a 3-months shot of lupron in order to stop the bleeding long enough for my iron to build up. My tubes are tied and I recently was given birth control pills (picture that), during the time I was on the pills I contantly had break through bleeding (so I guess my cycle was like, I'm coming through regardles) (SMILE), I had the option of just removing the fibroid and I opted for the hysterectomy because I can't take the chance of the fibroid growing back or that not truly being the problem, so to rectify that I said remove the entire uterous and there can't be a problem.

So, now I'm just trying to get as much information on the procedure that I chose (LSH) as possible and there's nothing better than information from people who have already gone through with it. I know every situation is different but for the most part there are a lot of similarities.

THANKS AGAIN
Unread 11-18-2004, 11:49 AM

I had them save my cervix too. It wasn't a guarantee that the surgeon to could save it because of the location. The cervix helps with pelvic floor support and reduces the chances of prolapse. It also helps with lubrication. Although I haven't had sex yet, I have noticed I seem to have the normal everyday levels of lubrication I always had (not dry like some sisters after their surgery). And it supposedly helps with orgasm.

I wish you luck. Please feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

cindy
Unread 11-18-2004, 11:51 AM

Thanks Cindy for the information.

Have you had any spotting or bleeding or did you have your cervix cauterized?
Unread 11-18-2004, 11:57 AM

None, but am only 8 days post op.
Unread 11-18-2004, 12:00 PM

Do you mine telling me about the procedure and your recovery...........How did you feel once you came to and the days leading up to today? How do your incisions look, are they as small as they say? Are you still extremely swollen, any gas?

I know it's a lot of questions? I'm Sorry.
Unread 11-18-2004, 12:18 PM

hi, chubbs:

I plan to write my "castle story" soon. See "Princesses Tell Their Castle Stories," where they post all of them. But to answer some of your questions.

My procedure was 2-3/4 hours. Please know that many LSHs run fairly long, as hysts go, because they require such care and precision. They had to "carve off" my huge fibroid, extract it piece by piece, and only then did they get to my uterus!

I was in some pain the hospital, but I don't want to concern you. I would ask, if I were you, what they use for pain relief right after the surgery. My doc is anti PCA, anti morphine, etc., so all I had was a fairly small dose of percocet and demerol upon request.

I went home about 22 hours after the procedure. I slept on and off the next two days at home. Went with DH to a movie on Day 5, but that was a bit foolish. It is now Day 8, and I have been off percocet for a couple days. However I need LARGE doses of Motrin (800 mg) to cover the pain.

Alas, yes, I am swollen. You should plan on having a swelly belly. It is an obnoxious thing, but it doesn't hurt. The incisions are the best part about this. They are already tiny. Too already look like little cat scratches. I have used Mederma scar preventing gel to reduce scarring but most LSH sisters say they don't have any scarring.

Hope that answers your questions. Feel free to ask anything that comes to mind as you get ready for your procedure.
Unread 11-18-2004, 04:00 PM

Thanks Cindy for your answers to Chubbs questions. They answered some of mine as well and you brought up one I hadn't thought to ask about during my pre-op appt. I will definitely find out what kind of pain meds the doctor will prescribe!

You said it was a bit foolish to go to the movie with your DH on day 5-----was it because you got too tired? I wonder because I have a haircut scheduled for what would be Day 9 after my surgery and am wondering if I should reschedule it. Thanks!

Barb

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register