Scheduled TAH Oct 9th surgery date - prepping | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Oct 9th surgery date - prepping Oct 9th surgery date - prepping

Unread 08-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Oct 9th surgery date - prepping

I've been reading the pre-op forums, support, and store and I'm getting a pretty good idea. My pre-op appt isn't until a week before surgery and I'm developing many questions. Is it ok to call the nurse and schedule a PRE - pre-op? Has anyone else done this.

I'm a healthy 38 yr old, with a single LARGE fibroid that has made my uterus the size of an 18 week pregnancy (somewhere around the size of a cantaloupe)

My doctor said it's too large to do anything laparoscopically and that I will be having a TAH.

She said she was taking the cervix, and I never thought anything about it until reading posts here...so I'm going to ask if it's necessary. She never said anything about core exercises, abdominal binders, pillows, etc...and I don't want to wait until the last week and be in a panic to get everything prepped.

(sorry - I feel like this is all rambling -- just nervous)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Re: Oct 9th surgery date - prepping

If you call the nurse, she should be able to walk you through it before your pre-op. They are super sweet, and very willing to put your mind at ease. I had my cervix removed, but had ovarian, pelvic, and uterine cancer, so they took mine out as a precaution. Wouldn't hurt to ask why they are taking it. You won't have to have a pap again if you have it out though
Unread 09-01-2012, 11:49 PM

I am having my surgery the same day as you are. I don't have a pre op appt. But a nurse is calling a few days before (maybe that is the pre op appt.)

I found a small pillow pet at the Dollar Store on clearance. I bought it...and it was $3.00.

I am making a notebook of all the info I need in order to be ready for this.

7 weeks and counting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-01-2012, 11:53 PM

I had a TAH on Aug 22. When I had questions before my pre op I would just call my ob/gyn dr and either her or the nurse would answer my questions. They were very nice. I would ask your dr if it is necessary to remove the cervix. Mine wasn't removed. I only had my uterus and left ovary removed.

The TAH was my choice. I couldn't have it vaginally cause I had a c-section. She said she could do it laproscopic, but half the time she still ended up having to open them up due to scar tissue. So, I told her to go ahead and open me up. Plus, my husband felt more comfortable w/ her doing it that way bec/ there was more room to work with...LOL!

If you have any questions send me a private message. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register