Question to vertical incision Princesses | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question to vertical incision Princesses Question to vertical incision Princesses

Unread 03-28-2007, 10:30 AM
Question to vertical incision Princesses

Hi there sisters,
Just saw a thread on vertical incisions , I was going to ask questions on quick reply , but didnt want to take away from her question. I was interested in hearing from all who had vertical incisions. Were you ladies scheduled in advance for vertical? Anyone have a surprise vertical ? I had sugery in 85 with a huge vertical incision , it ended up not healing well and split open. So now I have this pretty scar about 1 1/2 inches wide by about 10 " , and I am fluffy in the middle so it makes the scar look a lot worse. I also had my tubes tied in 91 , which they said I had a lot of adhesions. My DR says she will start with LAVH so she can see , but might be vertical (same scar) if alot of adhesions , or cant get to things good enough(large uterus) Would love to hear your stories and how your vertical was decided and the reason or symtoms of why it was necessary for a vertical. Just wondering what my chances are on waking up to a vertical . Thanks
LAVH April 24 , Adeno , Fibroids ,Polyps ,anemia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2007, 01:06 PM

hi
I knew right from the start and the doctor even drew me a picture of how the incision would be. I had such a huge cyst that there was no other option and there also was a possibility of cancer so my response was lets just get it out of there. There was no cancer but because I am 53 they treat it that way. I have no regrets regarding the scar. I am sure glad we only have to do this surgery once because recovery for me has been slow and they would have to do some fast talking for me to consider it for like tomorrow. I will probably feed different in a few more weeks. Take care
Unread 03-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Vertical for Myomectomy

Way back when I had my myomectomy they did a vertical and its specifically to be able to work on huge fibroids. They needed the ability to see it all and have the space to move things.
I am now going for my TAH in May and it'll be vertical again. My uterus is really large so I believe they'd prefer to go abdominally. What the gyno told me was that they can cut the existing scar out and create a new one in the same place. My scar was really smooth and very thin and disappeared to white after a couple of years so I was very lucky.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2007, 09:30 PM

I thought I'd have a "T-shaped" incision -- a hip-to-hip horizontal incision for my panniculectomy, and then a vertical to my navel for the hysterectomy. This was due to the size of my uterus.

I woke up and only had a horizontal scar. It wasn't so much that I cared about having a vertical incision (because I already had one from a previous surgery) but I just didn't want TWO incisions.

You might want to ask if they would consider giving you a bikini incision, just because sometimes going in through the same incision causes more problems... but in the end, the doctor will do what's best at the time, I'm sure.
Unread 03-29-2007, 06:00 AM

I knew going in that it would be vertical as its the best way if your surgery is for cancer. I am very fluffy, the scar below my bell button is very thin and almost white. The scar above my belly button is about 1/8 of an inch wide and a deep red. That part was infected and I did slightly rip it once during a sneeze when the staples were still in. I think because my belly is so large that the strain on it after the staples came out stretched the incision/scar.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register