DaVinci? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-15-2008, 02:31 PM
DaVinci?

Hi Ladies - I was hoping to post this on the Post-Op Board, but I'm not allowed to post there yet - my surgery has not happened yet. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place!

I am very concerned about my upcoming DaVinci hysterectomy. Most of the research that I have been able to find on the internet has been very positive about the DaVinci procedure. However, much of the information that is on this site (HysterStories) makes the DaVinci sound worse than I have read elsewhere. I would very much appreciate some honest feedback about what to expect. I am particularly concerned about being sent home with a catheter. I have had absolutely terrible experiences with catheters! I have had two c-sections and one vertical ooph., so I know what to expect from abdominal surgeries.

Thanks in advance for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2008, 02:40 PM
DaVinci?

i didnt have a da vinci but wanted to wish you the best of luck..that surgery looks amazing. i chose the lsh and had a very easy recovery. i think the da vinci surgery is similar to the lsh if youre keeping your cervix.
Unread 09-15-2008, 02:57 PM
DaVinci?

I talked to one of my doctors about DaVinci versus traditional LSH (or total laparoscopic, for that matter). He said they were actually very similar as far as recovery and all. Mentioned that the DaVinci would take longer, I think because of set-up time mostly, and might have slightly larger incisions.

That being said, what is prompting your concern about being sent home with a catheter? I had LSH, and didn't have a catheter at all (sounded rare based on one of the nurse's comments afterwards), but I thought that it was usually removed before sending a patient home.

If it's a concern, talk to your doctor about it ahead of time. I know mine was really open to my questions and concerns, and encouraged me to ask whatever I wanted beforehand.

Take care,
Anita
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-15-2008, 03:02 PM
DaVinci?

Hi Anita - I have a latex sensitivity. Almost all catheters are latex. When I had my ooph., I had four different catheters put in - it was awful. The last one was a stiff rod. Ugghh... it makes me panic just thinking about it! I really don't want to deal with having one in while I am home.
Unread 09-15-2008, 06:36 PM
DaVinci?

curlygurl, I had the Davinci Hysterectomy on July 24th. It was the best solution for me. I had Fibroids, adhesions, scar tissue, and I literally would bleed for two weeks strait. But about the procedure. I was taken down for surgery at 7 am, and brought into recovery around 1 pm I woke up sore but not really in any pain. I did have a lot of GAS and I mean a whole lot. The gas was really the worst part. Out of the 8 weeks since my surgery, I never experienced any real pain. On day one I walked a couple of hrs after recovery. I went home the very next day. I was able to get in and out of bed with ease. I was driving in a week and probably could have gone back to work had I had a sit down job. However Im a PreK teacher and that requires a lot of up and down as well as handling children up close. By day 3 I was completely off of all narcotic drugs. I only took them really so that I couyld sleep My sister and mother both had abdominal hysterectomies and were flat on their backs for weeks. I really just took it easy in my recliner, and was able to take walks daily after the first week. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate the recovery and overall surgery a 10 +, this is my honest opinion. I will be glad to answer any questions.
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:12 PM
DaVinci?

Curlygirl,

I had my Da Vinci Total Hyst on July 29th. I will be exactly 7 weeks post-op tomorrow. I consider myself very lucky to have had the Da Vinci and would recommend to any of my friends or family facing the same surgery. My recovery has not all been perfect - nothing ever is, but compared to many others...especiallly other types of hysts....I got the great end of the deal. I only had to stay in the hospital 1 night. I was back at work at 2 1/2 weeks, and I feel better than I have in a very long time. I was totally "freaked out" about the catheter...I had trouble with it once before...but this time was no big deal. If you want details...you can read my Hyst-story. At my 4 week check, my Doctor told me how glad she was that I had done the Da Vinci because my surgery ended up being much more involved (I was full of endo and she had to get it out of and off of everything inside). She said that Da Vinci allowed her to really feel confident about getting it all out.

Everyone has to make their own decision...and no 2 recoveries are ever the same....but for me....Da Vinci was a Godsend and I am soooo glad to have my surgery overwith and to have had it done such a great way. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I know it meant a lot to me to have other Da Vinci girls to ask/compare notes with before and after my Hyst.

Blessings,
Tank
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:21 PM
DaVinci?

Hi Curlygurl:

I had the DaVinci hysterectomy one week ago today. I, too, was wondering if this procedure could be too good to be true because of some of the stories I had read on this website. But, so far it has been extremely positive. I was so STRESSED prior to the procedure about various things, including the catheter, but the anticipation was much worse than the surgery and afterwards. I never knew the nurses/doctors put the catheter in because I was already under anesthesia by then. I woke up in the recovery room and remember the nurse was monitoring my pain level. She told me she was going to remove the catheter and I never felt a thing. I experienced some pain once I got to my room whenever I got in and out of the bed but by day 2 it had subsided. I would equate the pain to mild menstrual cramps. I used to have horrific cramps so these feel like nothing compared to what I use to experience. I took pain medication (Ultram) in the hospital and two times upon being released. I've been on Advil ever since and it seems to be managing the pain just fine for me. I've been walking around the house and outside. I do tire easily after about 4 hours but a quick 30 minute nap is the perfect cure. I'm a stay-at-home mom so I haven't had to worry about going back to work and do have a friend staying with me to help with the household chores. Each day I am feeling stronger and stronger. Therefore, I would also rate the procedure a "10".

Good luck with your procedure.
Unread 09-15-2008, 07:27 PM
DaVinci?

I had the daVInci and have had what I think was a very easy recovery. As you can see from my signature, everything but the vagina came out. They also took 6 lymph nodes and my omentum due to my cancer diagnosis.

The catherer came out in the afternoon just a few hours after surgery. I did have trouble urinating the first time I tried but the second time went fine. I went home the next morning with four band-aids over four of my incisions and steri-strips over the bigger (fifth) incision. No catheter needed. . .

I was up and walking the afternoon of my morning surgery. I was released without any restrictions two weeks later. I went back to work the day after my release - if I had it to do over again, I would have taken another week as I have a very stressful job.

The only "complication" has been a little vaginal granulation, which the gyn onc said was part of the healing process and which was easily treated with silver nitrate - just took one treatment in the doctor's office. No side effects or problems afterward. My massage therapist says I have little scar tissue and am healing well.

I was off narcotics three days after surgery, too, and the gas and BM issues were much worse than pain from the surgery. Having taken care of my mom and sister when they had their abdominal hysterectomies, I am so glad I was able to have the daVinci.
Unread 09-16-2008, 12:11 PM
DaVinci?

Thanks, ladies, for your input. I really appreciate your feedback!
Unread 09-16-2008, 02:15 PM
DaVinci?

Hey Curly, I had the daVinci too. I was home 36 hours later, and only took Motrin for the discomfort. Notice I didn't use the word "pain." I had 2 Lortabs in the hospital the nite of my surgery, 3 Motrin the day I came home, 2 the next day, and then one the next day. That was it. Oh yeah and some Gas-X! I was back in my size 2 low-rise jeans at 6 weeks, comfortably. Went out for dinner at 3 weeks in mid-rise jeans with the top button undone, and 4" heels. My only big side effect was some incontinence for about 3 weeks afterwards, I wore a Poise pad, and it was a little bit of dribbling several times a day. That freaked me out, but it doesn't happy to everybody. My bladder sphincters were not too happy after surgery, but again that went away at the 3 week mark and hasn't come back. daVinci is great, don't worry about it! I haven't read anything on the board here from unhappy daVinci ladies, did I miss something?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register