Scheduled TAH Please help me with info on what to expect after my hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help me with info on what to expect after my hysterectomy Please help me with info on what to expect after my hysterectomy

Unread 01-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Please help me with info on what to expect after my hysterectomy

Hello,

I'm Stephanie. I found this site through a Google search and was so encouraged. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Tuesday, next week. I am extremely nervous, and get sick to my stomach thinking about the procedure and the ensuing recovery. I would like to know about people's different experiences with post op pain, how your sex life has been affected, and if you felt any different as a woman or person after your surgery. Thanks so much for any and all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 03:00 PM
Re: Please help me with info on what to expect after my hysterectomy

The girls here are great! This site has been amazing helping me prepare for surgery in everyway i can get prepared. Welcome!

Tina
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:39 PM

Hi Stephanie,

What type of hysterectomy are you having? Mine was done with the DaVinci. I am now 5 weeks post op and still achy but I haven't used pain meds in about 3 weeks besides the over the counter Advil. I was instructed not to have sex for 8 weeks and I am counting down the days. I was relieved to find that my desire returned fairly quick! I am struggling with the fact that I have no uterus. Some days are good and some not so good but I do have a great support system and that helps a lot! I love this site also...very helpful to chat with other ladies going through he same thing. I am also able to communicate very well with my doctor. One of the things we didn't discuss a lot was the emotional effects of the hysterectomy. Everyone is different though and not everyone feels the same afterward so keep us posted and we'll be here for you! Best of luck to you and wishes for a healthy recovery! Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-05-2012, 03:57 PM

Check out the Hysterectomy Checkpoints on this website: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/mycheckpoint.php

For questions and concerns you have that aren't answered there, post here and someone will be able to help.

Best Wishes!
Unread 01-05-2012, 05:52 PM

Hi Stephanie,

I had a SAH, with a vertical incision back in October. Overall, it wasn't as bad as I worked myself up to believe. Post op pain was managed through medication, so I didn't have much. Even waking up after the procedure. The only discomfort was from the staples, which I believe is caused by the tightness of them and that occurred only while walking/standing. A travel pillow is very useful.

I'd say, around the 3rd week, I begin to feel better and was able to move about more. By week 4, I went back to work. Sex is pretty normal, no real complaints. The biggest difference, I feel so much better, I lost inches around the waist and I'm happy I went ahead with it.

This site helped a great deal, in that I was mindful of a lot of the things I learned here.

Best wish and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:08 PM

Hi Stephanie, I had a TVH 6 months ago. I had a slow recovery. The pain was manageable but I needed narcotic pain meds for several months. I was cleared for regular activities at 8 weeks. I had troubles returning to work at that time. I was still very sore and sittig for any length of time still hurts. As for sex, we first tried at 9 weeks post op. we weren't successful the first couple times. It didn't hurt but was sore after a few minutes. Sex post op takes patience and trust. We still avoid positions with deeper penetration. The sex is good again but different. My only complaint is my orgasm isn't nearly as intense as before. I used to feel my uterus contract and now that is gone which makes me sad. As for feeling like a woman, I am struggling with that. I didn't want the surgery and I'm still grieving the loss of my uterus. We all handle this experience differently. Please ask all your questions, we're here to support you.
Unread 01-05-2012, 06:44 PM

I had SAH 12/12/2011. The pain wasn't bad, my nurses did a great job during my short hospital stay. My admit was only for 23 hours. Vicoden for 4 days post-op, 600mg of ibuprophen now as needed. not cleared for sex yet, so can't share on that level. Plan for plenty of recovery time.

So far I have no regrets. I have found myself bored, but bored sure beats complications from doing too much. Looking forward to getting my life back now that I am post-op.

This site has great resources. There are check points, hints for you hospital stay, hints for preparing for being home.

Best of luck to you!
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:59 PM

I'm going to meet with my OB/GYN tomorrow to discuss the procedure in my detail. My paperwork simply says I'm scheduled for a TAH. I take narcotic pain medicine every day for several chronic pain medications, so I'm concerned about how much medicine I will have to take to control the additonal pain post-op. I also have a 20 month old daughter, so I'm concerned about how much I will be able to do with her. If any of you could share your experience with me regarding what your activity level was the first two or three weeks post-op, I'd appreciate it. I watched a informational video about the procedure last night and was sick to my stomach. I'm so afraid I will feel incomplete or that my future sexual partners will be able to "feel" that something isn't right.
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:46 AM

Hey, I am 34 yrs old & am nearly 10 weeks TAH. I won't lie when I wad told 6 weeks recovery I thought 'no way'- I've had 3 c- sections so this will be a breeze? But it really did take 6-7 weeks to notice I wasnt impacted in some way everyday! The first 2-3 weeks really were full of lots of nothing! I would take short walks most days but spent lots of time resting up & lifted NOTHING!!! pain was manageable but body pillow & heat packs helped significantly! I was surprised by the back ache & sensitivity of my belly skin but it did settle by week 4! I was blessed with lots of help so try & organize as much as you can before and dont lift anything - lots of healing going on inside!!
Make sure you drink lots of water & keep up the fibre to keep bowels going.
Sex was hard to wait for but I will admit it has taken a few attempts for me to really relax but now things are Just as good if not better!!
And the great part is that 10 weeks in- I feel better than I have in probably 2-3 yrs! Pain, bleeding, heaviness, tiredness, nausea all GONE!!!!
it is a long recovery journey and I have a couple of kilos to lies after limited activity- BUT SO SO WORTH IT!! just be patient, pamper yourself ( make sure your loved ones understand how BIG this is) & trust that you'll be better than ever in no time! Use this forum - it was a lifeline to me and many others!!
Prayers & best wishes!!!
Yanny xox
Unread 01-06-2012, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofiasmami View Post
Hello,

I'm Stephanie. I found this site through a Google search and was so encouraged. I am scheduled for a hysterectomy on Tuesday, next week. I am extremely nervous, and get sick to my stomach thinking about the procedure and the ensuing recovery. I would like to know about people's different experiences with post op pain, how your sex life has been affected, and if you felt any different as a woman or person after your surgery. Thanks so much for any and all help!
Hi Stephanie.

Welcome to the site!

I took pain meds around the clock, for about 3 weeks.

I am about 8 weeks post surgery....and I feel SO GOOD!
Very thankful for the surgery.

I do not feel any different as a woman.
I have random thoughts about not having a uterus, but just thoughts. They never lead anywhere.

You are going to do great.
Soon you will be in recovery mode.

Be Blessed!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register