What do I expect??!! Nervous. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do I expect??!! Nervous. What do I expect??!! Nervous.

Unread 08-02-2006, 05:09 PM
What do I expect??!! Nervous.

Pre-Op today. I'm nervous about what to expect even though I have a great doctor. Total hysterectomy. My doc has taken a "wait and see" approach to removing ovaries. Can you please share your experiences with the pain, gas, incision care, catheter, etc... I am also having my bladder pinned to my pelvic bone. Thanks very much! *pig*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2006, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfnBlondie
Pre-Op today. I'm nervous about what to expect even though I have a great doctor. Total hysterectomy. My doc has taken a "wait and see" approach to removing ovaries. Can you please share your experiences with the pain, gas, incision care, catheter, etc... I am also having my bladder pinned to my pelvic bone. Thanks very much! *pig*
Hi, GolfnBlondie,

If you have no disease issue with ovaries (same with cervix), my advice is to request they don't come out.

Pain - minimal. My anesthiologist was super (not to mention, absolutely drop dead handsome, but that's another story...) and took my nausea concerns seriously, so that's one down. I had an epidural with the PDEA, and I used the 'pump' maybe ten times most (note: your mileage may differ, as I have a high tolerance for pain). Switching over from the epi to oral (and that's one of the "four food group" you need to show to get out of the hospital) was a bit tricky, as there was a communications problem with the desk and my nurse for almost an hour (note 2: stay on top of your pain. Don't get to the point where you desparately need pain meds, as it takes 30 minutes for them to kick in).

Pain at home - minimal, and what I thought was something due to overdoing it was good 'ole gas. Support panties (or exercise shorts) help big time. Remember, narcotic pain meds constipate you, so you want to strike a balance between pain management and happy bowels!

Gas - a girl's best friend, at first. You want to pass some at the hospital (it makes the staff happy, believe me) and also make sure you pack some Gas-X in your bag. I had a few gas pains that bowed me over, but nothing in comparison to the pain I had prior to surgery.

Incision care - your incision will be bandaged at first, and then removed (mine was the next day). My doctor told me it was OK to shower (after I was unplugged, natch) and just be careful, as water pressure can be a bit painful (of which I didn't have any problem). Staples and sutures came out the day after discharge, and Steri-strips are in place right now.

Cath - I didn't know it was there - truly! I also didn't mind it coming out. You shouldn't feel it, and pain or burning is a sign that something's wrong.

It doesn't hurt to drink lots of water, as it helps with your output, and prevents bacteria accumulation that can result in a nasty UTI.

Hope this helps.

Julia
Unread 08-02-2006, 05:53 PM

Hi GolfnBlondie,

I agree with Julia on the ovaries (and cervix). If they are healthy and ovarian cancer does not run in your family, why not think about keeping them.

The ovaries secrete important hormones that help with the bones, skin and hair...just to name a few. Also, newer studies are showing that the ovaries secrete important hormones well into menopause. In pre-op, my Dr. told me that the chances of ovarian cancer are approx. 5% or less. I thought that was good odds for me.

I had my hyst at 46 and kept my ovaries. They are still working great and I am still happy with my decision to keep them.

Mary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-02-2006, 06:55 PM

Park796Beek Every so often, someone says just the right thing that helps make this journey a little less stressful. It's so easy to focus on the negative, because everyone has "their story".
Thank you! for what you had to say. You put my nerves at ease....if just for today!
Unread 08-02-2006, 07:36 PM

Thanks for the support! It SO helps to know I am not alone - there are days where I am doing the happy dance because I'm finally having it done and days that I am scared. It's not so much the pain, it's the unknown on the post-op side.
Unread 08-02-2006, 07:41 PM

I had my pre-op today also. I am also having my tvh on august 9th. I will be thinking of you. All the questions that the pre-op nurse asked was time consuming. She pretty much told me the same things that the other sisters have been telling you. Getting nervous here also. I have so much to do at home and business.On top of all that my dad is in austria recovering from a triple bypass double valve replacement surgery. Oh, I can't wait for all of this to be over.
Unread 08-02-2006, 07:50 PM

You are most definately not alone!!! There are more of us here than this -
If it helps any, Park796 pretty much outlined my experience too. I had heard so many bad things about the cath, and it was a breeze! Have a running suture (dissolving) and steri strips, which were taken off a week post op, can't even see the suture and been showering since the day after surgery. As for ovaries, I was in the same boat - the surgeon made the decision based on what she saw, and she saw no reason to take them. You are on the countdown, and will be done and home before you know it.
You are also having your surgery on my birthday, so how can you go wrong?
You'll do great and will have the support of the wonderful sisters here 24/7 up to and after. When you feel scared, just come to the preop board. I do suggest staying off the postop boards until you are there. It can be a scary place and there is no reason to do that to yourself.
x lots
Z.
Unread 08-02-2006, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flutterbye67
Park796Beek Every so often, someone says just the right thing that helps make this journey a little less stressful. It's so easy to focus on the negative, because everyone has "their story".
Thank you! for what you had to say. You put my nerves at ease....if just for today!
Hey, flutterybye67,

You made MY day, as while it's my journey and my experience, if sharing what I know helps you, then we grow stronger together.

I'm sitting here 8 days post op - on one of the hottest days in the region - and I've never felt better. I don't have to worry about life-threatening anemia, I don't have to worry about a menstrual cycle that not only drained me physically, but emotionally, I don't have to be a hostage to the closest bathroom any longer.

Y'know, I'm free - and soon you will be, too.

Julia
Unread 08-03-2006, 06:39 AM

i hear that .I thank the ladies that tell their stories.I have my surgery on 8-29 So im a little nervous but this really helped
thank you !!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register