Overweight & Need Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Overweight & Need Surgery Overweight & Need Surgery

Unread 03-16-2004, 02:22 PM
Overweight & Need Surgery

Hello, I was referred to this website by a new friend. Almost a year ago, a doctor told me that if I were 133, rather than 233, her would do a hysterectomy on me. I have a cyst, 3 fibroids, my cervix is dropped extremely and i am anemic from svery heavy monthly periods. I haven't lost the weight, and I haven't gone back. And, needless to say, my problems have not gone away. I am unconmforable with the idea of going back to him. But, I am also afraid that I will have the same response from another doctor. I am from Baltimore, Maryland. Does anyone know of a doctor in the Baltimore area that does not make heavy patients feel uncomfortable about getting medical care? Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2004, 02:32 PM

I would not want to go back to that doctor either! It is hard to lose weight when you don't feel well. I would be looking for a new doctor too! I don't live in your area, but my doctor (female) didn't make me feel bad about my weight. Oh, and I have lost 60 pounds since my TVH and feel much better. It is easier to lose the weight when you get the health issues under control. Good luck! Jen
Unread 03-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Sweetie...

I too am overweight, and a lot more then you. And I had surgery on 1/21/04. The only thing was it had to be TAH instead of Laproscopy because of my size. My doctor never once has made me feel bad for being overweight. Even when I get hard on myself, she is awesome.
Is there anyway that you can see another doctor? I had to go through 2 docs before finding my angel

Take care
SnookB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2004, 02:57 PM

Go to another Dr. I have a friend in Florida who weighed 260 when she had her LAVH. Her Dr wasn't concerned at all with her weight.
Unread 03-16-2004, 03:08 PM
overweight also

I just wanted to let you know that I had a TAH on 3/11/04. I weigh 224. I am not happy about my weight but my Dr. never said I cant do you surgery. I will say that it did take him a while to perform the operation, as there was fat to cut thru. I am cut abdominally long ways and stapled. The procedure took 2 hours. He never made me feel bad about being over weight or made it an issue. Good luck in finding a more sympathic Dr. in your area.
Unread 03-16-2004, 03:25 PM
What?!?

Honey you need to find yourself another gyn today. Get the yellow pages and just pick one. Anyone has to be better than the person you are seeing. I am 215lbs and though my doctor tells me that I should loose weight to be healthier, he has never told me that he can't do my surgery because I'm overweight. I'm scheduled for 3/22 so I'm counting down the days. Any good doctor would encourage you to loose weight because being over-weight is dangerous for so many reasons. However good doctors also give suggestions on weight loss and may even offer medication to help. Being over-weight does not mean that you should have to suffer, equipment has been made to hold us and people much heavier so tell that doctor to go back to school and get a refresher course in bedside manner before she gets sued for mental anguish! Keep your head up detroit!!!

your sister,
Robin in charleston SC
Unread 03-16-2004, 05:37 PM
overweight

HI-----I agree your weight definitely shouldn't be that big of a problem. You definitely shouldnt be made to feel bad about it. Maybe another doctor would be a good idea.

I weighed 215 when I had my TAH and my weight was never mentioned once---I also had a laparoscopy the month before and my weight was not an issue then either. There are ladies on here who are fluffier than you are and had their surgery without problems.

Good luck and please take care ----------kangaa
Unread 03-16-2004, 06:03 PM

hi--- i know i can't refer you to a specific doctor there, but i wanted to say that even though i am in ct, i was considering travelling for my hyst to baltimore, because there is a hospital there that is rated number 1 for gyn surgery. i think you can e mail me privately and i can fill you in. nancie
Unread 03-16-2004, 06:05 PM
overweight & need surgery

I am about 50 pounds overweight also, but my Dr. is still doing a hyst on me next week! He did tell me that the weight hasn't helped my condition, but it isn't stopping him from doing the surgery. My condition is what it is and it needs to be fixed! I hope you find another Dr. soon!!
Unread 03-16-2004, 06:36 PM

Hey KIM..... I can be totally honest with you. I know that I dont live in the same state as you, but I can honestly say that I outweigh you by 70 pounds and I had surgery on the 10th.. My doctor didnt seem to think that it was a problem I did ask!!! I had alot of the same problems as you, I think myself I would definetely check around as your doctor doesnt seem to sensitive... HOpe you find someone with a bit more compassion.. Good luck and take care Delores..

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register