LAVH/BSO w poss (TAH/BSO) or just go with TAH/BSO? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH/BSO w poss (TAH/BSO) or just go with TAH/BSO? LAVH/BSO w poss (TAH/BSO) or just go with TAH/BSO?

Unread 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM
LAVH/BSO w poss (TAH/BSO) or just go with TAH/BSO?

I am scheduled for an LAVH/BSO on June 23rd. I was examined by the doctor a couple weeks ago and she said that she may have to convert to a TAH/BSO during the procedure because she could feel a lot of scar tissue behind my uterus. (My previous lap in 2006 removed a lot of endo in the posterior cul-de-sac area and we think that this has resulted in the scarring/adhesions.)

I am a little concerned about the possibility of a change during the procedure. I think I would be more comfortable knowing exactly what will happen going into the procedure. From what I understand switching from laparoscopic to abdominal does have some risk of additional bleeding...

At this point I am considering changing the procedure to a TAH/BSO so that I will know exactly what to expect. Having a TAH/BSO would give me the ability to have a spinal/epidural instead of general anesthesia. I get really nauseous with the general and sure don't want to vomit with an abdominal incision! Also I could have the epidural for pain relief for the first 24 - 36 hours. I think it would also benefit the surgeon as well as she would have more room to work and better visibility.

I am planning to call the surgeon next week to talk to her about it, but thought I would pose the question to this forum.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts... Am I crazy to want to change the procedure so that I will be more comfortable knowing what to expect and knowing that I will have the epidural for pain relief afterward?

What do you think? Are there reasons or advantages to sticking with the LAVH/BSO knowing that the surgeon may need to convert?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-03-2008, 10:24 PM

Though I can see where you would be concerned about the switch, if it were me, I would stick with the laperoscopy. With Laperoscpys your recovery time is less then with TAH. I have have had three laperoscopys in the past and a c-section and if I had my choice about it I would go with the Lap. Who knows, the Dr. may not have to switch, then you will have gone through all the TAH for nothing. Though I can see the lighter side of the epideral. But you really need to way the epideral and the recovery times. Hope this helped.
Unread 06-03-2008, 11:58 PM

Tyala_soph,
I had a LAVH/BSO March 4, 08. My Dr. discussed the options very much like your Dr. He wanted to start with LAVH and if necessary will do the TAH. I told him I preferred the LAVH if possible. If not to do a horizontal TAH incision but that he was the professional in this matter and to use his best judgement. Your Dr must be comfortable with doing LAVH/BSO as it wouldn't be an option otherwise. I told my Dr I get nauseous after anesthesia. He said there is an IV medication that can be given the day of surgery to prevent it. He was glad I'd brought it to his attention. Don't forget to have your Dr do that for you. It worked too! It was hard to sleep the night before surgery. I think I got about 4-5 hours. Just remember, we are very lucky to have wonderful Drs, and a dedicated medical staff. I checked the farmer's almanac regarding your surgery date. Tuesday is a great day for you and recovery for a week afterwards look great too!
I mentally planned for the worst TAH. Dr took his time and did a LAVH/BSO. I felt great after surgery. The nurses were reminding me to use the pain IV button. Dr. had it set up for every 5 minutes! I used it about every 30 minutes to make the nurses happy! They were coming in reminding me I need it! It was hard getting out of bed at first but that is expected with any surgery. The Dr kept reminding me that I'd had a major surgery and not to over do. I had a total of 3 half inch incisions. No stitches (I think he used super glue)! One in the belly button and two just above the natural pubic hair line on each side. They were almost healed when I left the hospital!
My recovery was so quick compared to the gals with TAH of the same time period. So, let your Dr do what he thinks is best for you. If you have a low pain tolerance I would say LAVH/BSO might be best as you won't fight the stitches/staples healing.
Everyone has bad days. Can't sleep is common as it is hard to get comfortable in bed time. Plan on laying around the house and resting. Go for short walks to the neighbors house for a cold glass of water! Make sure you have some stretch waist band clothes.
My DH said before surgery, you'll need your "nest" to recoupe in. My lounge chair near a window, telephone, lap top computer, reading material, a blanket (when you get the chills) an end table/coffee table handy for the glass of water and your best friend the TV remote! DH was so right! Family/neighbors/ friends and hyster sisters are a wonderful support group. DH and I took a 5 day trip returning two days before surgery. I'm glad we did, as I had everything done and wasn't rushing around at the last minute all stressed out.
Put your faith in God,. Go into surgery with a positive attitude that you will feel better afterwards.
I feel better now and I don't know why I put it off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2008, 10:09 AM

Thanks to both of you for the great advice! I'll make sure to ask my doctor about the medication for nausea.

I just have a hard time with not being in control and knowing what to expect.... and the waiting is the WORST!

Thanks again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register