TAH in 1 week | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH in 1 week TAH in 1 week

Unread 09-02-2012, 10:47 PM
TAH in 1 week

Hello all!!!
I am new here and enjoying reading others post. I am 35 and scheduled for tah leaving ovaries for 10 SEP. One week, I can't believe it. I am trying to get everything ready and organized. Easy to make/microwave food, friends on stand by to help to include getting my meds transportation home,staying the night at least my first night home, cooking meals, entertainment, and making sure i dont do too much (I am single with no children), work knows, loose clothing, tummy pillow, care for my dog, open communication with my doctor, Chapstick and lotion for the hospital......is there anything I am missing??? I just came back from a three week vacation around Asia and that has helped me to not get anxious. Now though the nerves are starting.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2012, 05:18 AM
Re: TAH in 1 week

I think that you're preparing well. It's normal to be nervous, but you are going to be just fine. I had a TAH keeping my ovaries 5 monrhs ago. My surgery went well and I had a fairly easy recovery. My quality of lufe has improved tremendously.
I pray that you have a successful surgery and an even more successful recovery

Lots of ((HUGS)) to you
Unread 09-03-2012, 05:22 AM

I think you have it covered

I've been where you're at for the past week. I go tomorrow and it feel like time has gone so slowly the past few days.

Just make your lists and check them twice

Colletta

P.S. I'm ready for a vacation once I get this taken care of ! I've been daydreaming about where I'd go...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2012, 11:24 AM

I had my TAH 1 week ago today. I was nervous, actually make that very fearful and it was all for nothing. Yes there is pain, make sure you plan for pain management. Next, get up and get walking the very next day. A few things that are a must: a back scratcher to take to the hospital ( oman I was itchy and it sucks) 2) a belly binder ( they gave me mine at the hospital). I was allowed a general diet from the get go and because of that on the 2nd day an enema got things moving and I have not had a problem since. Only real problem was the gas pains on the 4th day, but I put myself on a schedule of walking after all meals, so basically that got things moving. Gas-X works wonders but really nothing beats walking. Now I am just basically fatigued, I cant sleep but I dont want to do much. Listen to the doctors, take the advice from this site and let others do for you. Best of luck in your surgery and recovery.
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:05 PM

Hi Kirsey,
I had a TAH keeping my ovaries 1 year ago.......for me the first month after was the hardest. Diet was a huge thing as your tummy will be all over the place...i would describe it as bad trapped wind pain. I found that eating lots of fibre based foods helped and nothing too rich or spicey...keep everything simple and you should be ok....peppermint tea was a life saver for upset tummy. Aside from that i was tired alot for the first 3 weeks and stayed in bed taking lots of naps and being good to myself....dont be in a huge rush to get out walking as you can easily overdo it. A year on i feel good but would say that realistically it takes at least a year for your body to get back to normal.....The major bonus at the end is ...NO MORE PERIODS...EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!....best of luck...ruth
Unread 09-03-2012, 02:58 PM

I had a SAH in June my 1st week was the hardest. the rest of my recovery was Wonderful. I had little to no pain (but I have a high threshold) I was not allowed to walk up and down steps Not because I couldn't but because my family wouldn't let me. They placed microwave and refrideragtor in the room for me and put my meals there when they went out. I took little pain meds but slept a lot.

I am in more pain now slipped down steps and sprained my ankle than my surgery.

Best of luck to you and make sure you listen to your body. Your body will tell you every thing you want to know
Unread 09-03-2012, 04:11 PM

You will do fine! I live on my own (with a cat) and had no one living with me at any time after I came home.
I had a TAH plus ovaries and tubes and a large incision, but I coped - with a LOT of preparation, and some help from my widowed brother who lives nearby. Transport, lawn-mowing, etc.
A reacher-grabber is a big help (cheap from a hardware store)
I was walking in the hospital and every day after I got home.
I found it a big help, and it was strongly recommended to me at the hospital. Just what you can - listen to your body. And spend plenty of time resting flat rather than sitting.

A high seat is more comfortable than a low one.

Have you a dog walker? It's OK to walk your dog as long as (s)he doesn't pull you along!!

You will get through it and we are here to help!
Unread 09-03-2012, 05:52 PM

We're the same day. I realized how freaked out I am a little while ago. I'm sitting in a hotel awaiting pre-op tomorrow. My mom was supposed to go up and help with a couple things that are too hard for my tummy muscles. Something else came up and she can't. I have plenty of time but that little change in plans is enough to make me anxious.

I keep thinking a week from now it's over. I may not feel great but it is over. Somehow that helps.
Unread 09-03-2012, 07:22 PM

Hi I am 42 and having a TVH, on Sept 19th keeping my ovaries (uterine prolapse, a real bad one) also have had dismenorrhea since puberty horrible horrible pain every period. I have also been experiencing PMS for a few years in the past. My question is, Will I experience PMS after surgery? I know there is no period after surgery, but since I am keeping my ovaries,will I continue to get the PMS every month?
Unread 09-04-2012, 10:39 AM

Hi,

I agree with acey completely. You sound well prepared. I used a grabber constantly. It's the best thing I bought.

I also bought a binder which I use only for walking ir initially I used it when I knew I would be on my feet a lot.

5days post surgery I was walking around the block, then added a block or two each day. I was up to 2 miles by week 2, 3 miles by week 3 and now I'm at about 3.5 and ready to do some light elliptical workouts.

I ended up with too much food! That was funny. Microwave meals are a great idea. I was able to wear my normal clothes, primarily my workout clothes and tees. I bought bigger clothes which I could not use because they were big. Lol

Good luck to you!

Jayhyster, if you have your ovaries, yes you will have symptoms. My ovaries seem to have woken up because my period would be hitting now and going through the things I normally experienced other than cramps and bleeding - irritable, emotional, constipation. It's like clockwork but for me it's manageable.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register