Is this video bologna? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is this video bologna? Is this video bologna?

Unread 08-17-2016, 04:43 AM
Is this video bologna?

I totally agree with the previous posters! I think most media outlets consider the small minority of hysterectomies that turn out badly to be more newsworthy than the large majority that turn out well. I also find it interesting that most anti-hysterectomy arguments come from men, and from women who have never gone through what we've gone through. I remember when I was told I needed a hysterectomy, I was opposed, because I'd bought into this "bologna," but once I connected to this site, and found a wealth of unbiased, "been there, done that" information, I realized that this was the right decision for me, and that it would turn out okay. It didn't cause incontinence; actually, I had a grapefruit sized fibroid pressing on my bladder, and afterwards, I unceremoniously disposed of my stash of incontinence pads. I was constipated, but that resolved after about a week, thanks to regular walks, peppermint tea, and regular servings of magnesium-rich dark chocolate. My ovaries did "fall asleep" for a few weeks, but then they woke up, and they're still fully functioning. I was fatigued for a few weeks, which I recognized as a normal part of the healing process, and now I'm pretty much back to normal, and 16 months later, my body is still holding together. So don't listen to the negatives, just stick with your HysterSisters, and you'll be okay! Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2016, 01:12 PM
Is this video bologna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussette View Post
Yes, I'll call it bologna and baloney and a few other choice words. This is the sort of thing out there on the internet which get me going. Leads to depression? No libido? No orgasm? Personality change? Suicidal thoughts? Nothing holding our bodies together post-op? Loss of maternal feelings? ... About a third of these are subjective to begin with, another third temporary during recovery. For Pete's sake....

First step: stop Googling. Most sites like what you found are one-sided. They share the negative side only, never investigating the positive side of the 500-600,000 hysterectomies performed annually in the US alone. 5 years is 2.5 million to 3 million hysterectomies. How could they not have positive findings? (Answer: they have an agenda and don't want to present the other side.) Here at HysterSisters, you will read the negatives and the positives, both of surgeries, alternatives, hormones, sex, you name it. Enough information on all sides of various aspects to help you make an informed decision for YOU. That's what we all are looking for and why this site is a success.

A few specifics: Yes, in the few weeks post op, there will be fatigue, there could well be constipation, maybe some incontinence (mine actually went away when the lumpy fibroid-laden uterus was removed), pain or discomfort from stitches. For many sisters... this all decreases as the healing process continues and is likely to go away. There might be menopausal symptoms (mood swings, insomnia, bone loss) because of hormone imbalances; that's either temporary, or can be managed with HRT or natural remedies through foods we eat and exercise.

I had to laugh at "nothing holding it together" as if the rectus abdominus, obliques, transverse abdominus, spinalis, latissimus or other muscles which hold us upright just cease to exist .

Vaginal shortening? I'll leave the explanation to this article: Is My Vagina Shorter?

Non-functioning ovaries in women who kept them? Eventually, even those of us who kept our ovaries will have a decreased ovarian function until they don't do much for us. Women who never have hysterectomies experience the same thing. Meanwhile, they do provide hormones in those gap years when their functions are decreasing.

Adhesions and nerve damage can happen, but it is not a sure fire thing just because you've had a hysterectomy. I've got mild nerve damage; from what I read it might take 6 months to a year to heal. Even if it doesn't, I'd gladly take the nerve damage over the issues I was having before. As for adhesions, a notable number of women have adhesions removed along with their hysterectomies - adhesions which have caused problems. Here is the low-down on adhesions, before and after a hysterectomy: Adhesions.

Libido and sex can be a larger issue than some of the other things. However, there are plenty of HysterSisters who enjoy sex as much now as they did before - maybe more for those who were in so much pain prior. I'll let another article do the explaining: Intimacy - Better or Worse?

Loss of maternal feeling? OMG... what's amazing is what they're resorting to. Again, totally subjective. Seriously... how can that even be measured?

I'll get off the soapbox now and offer instead my .

Yes, there are indeed alternatives to just about every female issue that can lead up to a hysterectomy and you can investigate those options here. A hysterectomy is still an option if the alternatives fail. Some situations, like cancer, a hysterectomy is the best option. Could there be problems down the road as a result of surgery? Yes. Could there be relief and freedom? Yes. With as many as have been done, the success stories likely outnumber the ones that didn't go as planned. You can find plenty of the success stories on the nav pane to the right under "I Am a HysterSister". I had a textbook surgery and recovery so far, and I don't miss my ex-uterus Ol' Lumpy one bit .
I encourage you to look at the articles here. If the list is overwhelming (it was to me), type keywords in the Search box on the right, and you'll hit articles and threads about the subject previously posted. You've got time to become informed the right way - from all sides of whatever you might be facing.
Finally, unlike that video, we're here every step of the way with you!
I love your posts! You are always so informative
Unread 08-17-2016, 02:18 PM
Re: Is this video bologna?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis17 View Post
I love your posts! You are always so informative
thanks... well, when claims get ludicrous they're easy to counter-point. I just hate to see women getting scared because of misinformation - every one of us deserve facts, not fear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2016, 02:58 PM

I guess I kind of knew it was bologna, but this is the in depth response I was looking for, so thank you. I will research all of the links that you posted. I can assure you that you don't want nerve damage though lol, that actually is part of my problem. The last surgery that I had literally shattered my life. I haven't driven until this week for nearly a year, I haven't really been able to do much but be couch bound, or wear real pants because of the squeezing, I gained 20+ pounds and now my diet because of IC(intersistial cytitis) is terrible that I can't even get vitamins really through food. Those are just a few of the things that happened to me. I've been on pain medicine this whole time, which I am pretty sure probably has caused some sort of brain alteration and maybe even damage, but it's what I have to do to not be at an 8 every day.

Thank you for the well written out response and resources. Here is too hoping that my nerves don't get the better of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by placey View Post
That video you mentioned sounds like it is really over the top. There are risks with any type of surgery-but that list is just that- a list of symptoms that could occur with really any surgery . It sounds like the person who created that video was trying to introduce fear into women so they wouldn't go through with the surgery.

Listen to your Dr-research your Dr before having her/him perform the surgery so you know she/he is the one you'd like to perform this. Of course ask your Dr what they know are the risks for your type of surgery and for you personally. I would not rely on the internet to inform you of the side effects.

If I have any questions about my health I ask my Dr and sometimes I search on the Mayo Clinic website because it is a reputable and well known research based hospital facility.

This is the place I come for support and just to know that another person is in a similar situation. Thank goodness for HysterSisters

I wish you well and please keep us posted on the upcoming surgery. I hope you feel better soon!
Unread 08-17-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterbuns View Post
I guess I kind of knew it was bologna, but this is the in depth response I was looking for, so thank you. I will research all of the links that you posted. I can assure you that you don't want nerve damage though lol, that actually is part of my problem. The last surgery that I had literally shattered my life. I haven't driven until this week for nearly a year, I haven't really been able to do much but be couch bound, or wear real pants because of the squeezing, I gained 20+ pounds and now my diet because of IC(intersistial cytitis) is terrible that I can't even get vitamins really through food. Those are just a few of the things that happened to me. I've been on pain medicine this whole time, which I am pretty sure probably has caused some sort of brain alteration and maybe even damage, but it's what I have to do to not be at an 8 every day.
The nerve damage I have is mild and in one spot on my abdomen - it hasn't prevented me from resuming pre-op activities. So, in my case I'm willing to put up with it considering what I no longer have to put up with. It's not like the type of nerve damage you might be dealing with.

If you go through with a hysterectomy (I'm not sure whether you're on the fence or not?), it's my sincerest wish that whatever else is going on with you will be revealed and taken care of. Is the IC confirmed?
Unread 08-17-2016, 04:53 PM

Thank you. So I've seen several dr's and I've had different diagnosis from nearly each one. One said it was neurogenic bladder as a result of surgery, another said it was IC and another actually just said I don't know. My current dr think's it is a mixture of IC and nerve damage. I've been having bladder instillations where they mix medicines and put them in my bladder directly with a catheter. After the first 24 hours of stinging and what not it has helped "some" of my pain. I still have other pains remaining though and I'm guessing this must be from the adenomyosis that they "suspected" during the first surgery, maybe endo, and the pelvic congestion that was seen on an MRI about two weeks ago. It's very possible that I could have this surgery and nothing will change, or everything will change for me, it is hard to tell. I did note that I feel somewhat better in the morning and as the day goes on things get more painful. My hyster is scheduled for Sept 13th, and yes it is taking everything in me to not hurry and cancel it. This will be my 8th pelvic surgery not including the 2 csections I've had :/. I think that I have uterine orgasms and that is really scary to me that I probably will lose that. I can still have at the moment clitoral orgasms, although to be honest we have probably only had sex about five times since last year. I guess we'll just have to see. I am also majorly scared of the pain, since I have been on medicine this entire time. I don't know if my body will now not have any pain control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cussette View Post
The nerve damage I have is mild and in one spot on my abdomen - it hasn't prevented me from resuming pre-op activities. So, in my case I'm willing to put up with it considering what I no longer have to put up with. It's not like the type of nerve damage you might be dealing with.

If you go through with a hysterectomy (I'm not sure whether you're on the fence or not?), it's my sincerest wish that whatever else is going on with you will be revealed and taken care of. Is the IC confirmed?
Unread 08-23-2016, 06:28 PM

No to almost everything, with the exception of ovary failure (this happens sometimes, because the blood supply may be compromised after the surgery - they cut a lot of blood vessels there) and shortening of vagina - only if you have a cervical cancer, because in this case they also cut the upper 1/3 of vagina to be safe and to remove all cancerous tissue for sure.
I also was reading all this B$ and was quite terrified, but did not have any complications, and everything is working as before, I did not notice any difference (sex functions are fine, and maternal feelings are still strong, no personality change, I feel quite happy). I did have a profound fatigue for about two moths after the surgery, and I was losing my hair for a couple of weeks after about two months (I read that this happens with any major surgery), but these symptoms were gone. After 6 months, I feel great in every way and don't see any changes except I don't bleed anymore!
Unread 08-23-2016, 06:32 PM

Oh, I forgot to comment on incontinence. I had to go very often before the surgery, but after the surgery I noticed an improvement. Either there is more space there for my bladder or they did cut some nerves that caused my hypersensitive bladder, but now I don't have to get up several times at night!
Unread 08-23-2016, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterbuns View Post
Thank you. So I've seen several dr's and I've had different diagnosis from nearly each one. One said it was neurogenic bladder as a result of surgery, another said it was IC and another actually just said I don't know. My current dr think's it is a mixture of IC and nerve damage. I've been having bladder instillations where they mix medicines and put them in my bladder directly with a catheter. After the first 24 hours of stinging and what not it has helped "some" of my pain. I still have other pains remaining though and I'm guessing this must be from the adenomyosis that they "suspected" during the first surgery, maybe endo, and the pelvic congestion that was seen on an MRI about two weeks ago. It's very possible that I could have this surgery and nothing will change, or everything will change for me, it is hard to tell. I did note that I feel somewhat better in the morning and as the day goes on things get more painful. My hyster is scheduled for Sept 13th, and yes it is taking everything in me to not hurry and cancel it. This will be my 8th pelvic surgery not including the 2 csections I've had :/. I think that I have uterine orgasms and that is really scary to me that I probably will lose that. I can still have at the moment clitoral orgasms, although to be honest we have probably only had sex about five times since last year. I guess we'll just have to see. I am also majorly scared of the pain, since I have been on medicine this entire time. I don't know if my body will now not have any pain control.
Dear friend,

Once your uterus is removed, it is true you will no longer have uterine contractions - which yes, sadly you may miss. But you should still be able to have orgasms - let's hope that once your pain is removed, you will feel so much better.
Unread 08-24-2016, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marciamae View Post
Dear friend,

Once your uterus is removed, it is true you will no longer have uterine contractions - which yes, sadly you may miss. But you should still be able to have orgasms - let's hope that once your pain is removed, you will feel so much better.
I did read about uterine contractions. There is a lot of controversy about them, it seems that most women are unable to feel them anyway. My orgasms are exactly as they used to be, so, I guess, I belong to those, who could not feel them before. But yes, very obviously, women are unable to have anything uterine after the removal of uterus. I think the emphasis should be on the fact that in a case of a successful surgery there would be very little or no changes in overall life quality. And we all should keep a perspective and not forget that a major surgery is never done without a reason, each of us has a very important reason to go through with it, whether this is quality of life or a grave illness.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register